Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SuperPCGamer

Doom95 on Windows 10

Hey, I've recently got a disc of DooM II: Hell on Earth, and it's for Windows 95. I have a Windows 10 computer, though, and the game won't run. If you know how to make a Windows 95 disc of DooM II work on Windows 10, please, tell me!

There are some fixes you'll need to get Doom95 to function on modern OS:

Doom 95 will not launch at all on Windows 8 or 10 due to the removal of various files with DirectX, this can be fixed by downloading and installing a program named "DXGL" and copying "ddraw.dll" from the dxgl installation folder and placing it in the Doom95 folder. then, copying the "dplay.dll" file from the directx installation archive folder in the Doom95 folder and placing it in the Doom95 folder. Then, lastly run the DXGL program, click "add" and select the Doom95 executable and set it to "aspect corrected stretch" and selecting 4:3 aspect ratio. This should scale the correct aspect ratio even on widescreen LCD monitors. The unofficial mouse patch does still work however is heavily delayed and causes the game to be almost unplayable. The mouse patch executable must be launched in administrator mode.

But you'd be better off just seeking out the multitude of source ports available like Chocolate Doom, Crispy Doom, Doom Retro, Doomsday, PrBoom+, GZDoom etc.

cyan0s1s Thanks for letting me know! And I have tried GZDoom, I just would prefer to get the actual disc and play it the way it is truly meant to be played.

If you wanna try Doom95 specifically, you might wanna try emulation of win95 or any other DOS-based Windows OS via DOSBox or a fork that's more suitable for said systems (such as DOSBox-X).

"The way it was meant to be played."

There is no way it was meant to be played. Now, if you want to be authentic, well you'll need to go grab the hardware that was out at the time to get the most accurate authentic 1993 DOOM experience.

Or cut all that bullshit out and just grab Chocolate DOOM, which aims to be as close to the original .exe as possible right down to bugs.

Doom95 also doesn't even support DeHackEd files IIRC so you won't be able to play a lot of PWADs that depend on them least you run into serious problems.

The only possible disadvantage Chocolate Doom has in comparison to Doom95, is the resolution, since the latter lets you select up to 640x480.

You could also use Crispy Doom for the resolution effect and still retain almost complete vanilla-ness.

4 hours ago, Velcrosasquatch said:

There's a simple solution to this problem:

Make a Doom 95+ source port and admit the bugs are features.

More like a Chocolate Doom 95? I wonder if there ever were any PWADs designed with Doom 95's limitations, quirks and/or slightly improved static limits (vs vanilla Doom) in mind. Besides, in that awkward period between Doom 95 and Boom's release in 1998, that's really all that you got, as far as ports able to load PWADs went (without counting the various obscure Mac ports).

Who knows, there might even be undocumented editing features (like new linedefs numbers) that never got out.

9 minutes ago, TFK said:

I suggest you download Doom95...

...and that's going to solve his compatibility problems with Doom95 how, exactly?

Make an ISO file out of the CD and run it through a Win95 virtual machine. I'd say that's your best bet.

5 hours ago, Maes said:

I wonder if there ever were any PWADs designed with Doom 95's limitations, quirks and/or slightly improved static limits (vs vanilla Doom) in mind.

My recollection is "yes", although I can't name WADs offhand except to say there was some wacky episode replacement that  exceeded DOS EXE visplane limits and recommended Doom 95 as the intended thing for playing it.  It was downloadable off of one of the old incarnations of Doom Wad Station (or maybe it was Jive's page?  But probably DWS as I recall Jive being fixated on Doom Legacy).  Search around for stuff in text files that would imply that it VPOs unless you run it in Doom 95 and you might find something.  Although it's probably about as rare as WADs that require Doom v1.2 to work right, which are also a thing.

Actually, the WAD I was thinking of was probably this, which doesn't currently seem to have any mention of Doom 95.  So maybe I'm wrong.

http://www.doomwadstation.net/dethwish/index.html

Ironic as doom 95 can get running on Linux with wine (and with wine its not emulate technically!) Its an odd momment when a program has better compatibility with Linux then windows.

42 minutes ago, Mauzki said:

Ironic as doom 95 can get running on Linux with wine (and with wine its not emulate technically!) Its an odd momment when a program has better compatibility with Linux then windows.

Thta's actually been the case for quite a long time. Windows XP, and especially Vista+, dropped a ton of backwards compatibility, and Wine is able to pick up the pieces :P

DXGL seems to work well with it (including fixing a few graphic errors) on windows 8. Not sure if it will work the same way in windows 10 but I only went and played Doom95 as a curiosity. 

On 2/4/2018 at 6:37 PM, Lila Feuer said:

There are some fixes you'll need to get Doom95 to function on modern OS:

But you'd be better off just seeking out the multitude of source ports available like Chocolate Doom, Crispy Doom, Doom Retro, Doomsday, PrBoom+, GZDoom etc.

thanks but there is no mouse support

On 2/4/2018 at 9:13 PM, SuperPCGamer said:

cyan0s1s Thanks for letting me know! And I have tried GZDoom, I just would prefer to get the actual disc and play it the way it is truly meant to be played.

Then you want Chocolate Doom, which is an almost perfect recreation of DOS v1.9.

1 hour ago, Overlandpage55 said:

thanks but there is no mouse support

Then you are better off just seeking out the multitude of source ports available like Chocolate Doom, Crispy Doom, Doom Retro, Doomsday, PrBoom+, GZDoom etc.

Also, there is a mousefix, but it is only for Windows XP.

On 2/4/2018 at 10:13 PM, SuperPCGamer said:

Just use Chocolate Doom.

1) Download and extract Chocolate Doom: https://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Downloads

2) Place Doom2.wad in the same directory as Chocolate Doom's executable.

3) Click on Chocolate Doom's program icon. 

4) Enjoy.

Note: To setup controls, you must click on chocolate-doom-setup.exe and act accordingly.

Edited by Master O