Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
JavaGuy

Shit-tastic in just three minutes!

Recently, I realized a few things that's help my drawings improve by 25%. Unfortunatly, this was not within that time period. However,t his only took me a few minutes to draw during class. It's my friend Killa (with a goatee, though he has none. What the hell is my obsession? Maybe I'm gay?! Ok, maybe not). He's a Doom mastah and I have respect for him when it comes to computers.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/858488

[edit]@#%!. There seems to be something wrong with the picture.[/edit]

For a 3-minute drawing, this is pretty good. The proportions look right, and the position of the hands on the shotgun - often a tricky thing to draw without reference - look fine too.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your long-term artwork (ie 6 hours and upwards on a single drawing).

There are reasons it took so short a time to draw: I'm familiar with the scale of the body (as in, it's not a close up or wierd persepective drawing). the hair is something I'm very familiar with: Real sloppy and messy, like mine. Killa's got shorter, neater hair with gel in it. I drew the nose big so it looked different from my normal character though, and the eye is really just a line with a dot. Not detailed, but appropriate. the armor is shit-tastic, and the shotgun... looks flat and two dimensional. The zombie is just something I added there afterwards in a few seconds. It's got a flipper for a hand! Other than that, the reasons it was a quick drawing speaks for itself. Oh, and Ravage, my scanner broke long ago. Now I just have my friends scan thing for me. Usually, it takes them about three weeks before they get around to it (I got my Doom Girl picture back after a month). One of them still has some decent pics I wanted to post here, but she'll never get around to actually sending them.

Spike said:

For a 3-minute drawing, this is pretty good. The proportions look right, and the position of the hands on the shotgun - often a tricky thing to draw without reference - look fine too.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your long-term artwork (ie 6 hours and upwards on a single drawing).

Nobody is faster on the draw than me ;)

Good piccie :)

I don't draw very fast - if I rush a drawing it ends up looking like shit.
I prefer to give myself the time I need to get into the right mood and to work over all the details.

If I drew at home, I might be able to draw nicely, but I don't have a good place to draw.

I don't have any desk for it, my drawing surface is a clipboard I found a while back, and I use printer paper because I've never owned a scetchpad. I probably ought to one of these days.

JavaGuy said:

I don't have any desk for it, my drawing surface is a clipboard I found a while back, and I use printer paper because I've never owned a scetchpad. I probably ought to one of these days.

Place the clipboard on the floor and draw it from there (lying in prone position).

dsm said:

I don't draw very fast - if I rush a drawing it ends up looking like shit.
I prefer to give myself the time I need to get into the right mood and to work over all the details.

I find that 'speed-sketching' is an excellent way to come up with concept designs for drawings - kind of like brainstorming with images rather than written ideas. I'll do a few rough sketches, then a 'layout' version (again fast, but with more attention paid to the pose and general look of the drawing) - only then do i start on a 'final' piece.