Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doom keeps me alive

Which monster would you say is your least favorite?

Your least favorite monster?   

97 members have voted

1. 1. Least favorite monster?

• Zombieman
    • Shotgun guy
    • Chaingun guy
    • Imp
    • Pinky demon
    • Spectre
    • Cacodemon
    • Baron of Hell
    • Hell knight
    • Pain elemental
    • Lost soul
    • Arachnotron
    • Arch-vile
    • Mancubus
    • Revenant

Revenant.  Not because of their attacks or the gameplay... I just really dislike how they look and sound.  Always have.

I liked Doom 3's revenant a lot better.

5 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

I just really dislike how they look and sound.

There is shitty ass generic and totally unfair slaughtermap in JOM05 that might help you cure your aversion. I heard some nasty bitch called Nine Inch Nails or so made it. ;-)

I'm gonna dodge the Pain Elemental bullet and say Arachnotron, just because I usually map more than I play and Arachnotron is a bitch to place out interestingly. He's so damn bulky and can be very uninteresting if placed wrong. Very satisfying when you get it right though.

Chaingunners. Not by themselves. But when you enter a room and there are 6 firing at you from all directions they can melt you faster than you can say "Oh fuck!"

21 minutes ago, -[EVIL]- Pepsi said:

Chaingunners. Not by themselves. But when you enter a room and there are 6 firing at you from all directions they can melt you faster than you can say "Oh fuck!"

faster than "Chick-fil-A"

1 hour ago, YukiRaven said:

Revenant.  Not because of their attacks or the gameplay... I just really dislike how they look and sound.  Always have.

I liked Doom 3's revenant a lot better.

Revenants in the PSX version will disappoint you. AAAAAAAAAAAA

Depending of the version, the PE/Lost soul combo can be annoying or lethal. If you think that the original pain elemental is a pain to deal (yes), than the Doom 64 counterpart is even worse...double the pain (spawn 2 LS instead) and lost souls are more aggresive than ever.

Luckily, those can be dealt quickly with the right strategies

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

There is shitty ass generic and totally unfair slaughtermap in JOM05 that might help you cure your aversion. I heard some nasty bitch called Nine Inch Nails or so made it. ;-)

I tried that map; was doing well first try; slipped in and out of monsters hitting switches, never had to fire a bullet; i felt like a badass; but then walls lowered and revealed a panorama of skeletons that engulfed me like a biblical flood. heh

on topic: some monsters like Lost Souls and Specters are the most annoying, but that's a feature not a bug, so I kinda like them.  I put loose Lost Souls in my maps because of that reason.

Baron usually gets the most hate from other people: it's usually safer to kill him than leave him for the greater gameplay goal of survival; but a lot of people are jaded by fighting a loose Baron in particular, so some people find themselves killing Barons anyways but not really enjoying it.  I kinda like mister Baron though in certain situations, like cramped places where he chokes out your space.  Also, he's pink.

Hell Knight, on the other hand, is not pink.  He's vanilla in color and behavior.  He's only better than a Revenant if you need a slower ground monster, but cacodemons are usually better and they also fly.  Two HK's dominates slightly more space than a single Caco, but less than two Cacos.  I guess HK's can help tune a fight in a medium-sized room, but meh. 

I can never dislike the extremes, and as far as the bread-and-butter monsters go, the hell knight is the most bland i.m.o.  Usually a pile of imps is more fun for me than a HK.

I choose Hell Knight, but am definitely putting way too much thought into this.

The Lost Soul, but only because he's too strong, but other than that not really any particular monster for any good reasons.

Barons being easy to use poorly is one of those bits of Good Mapping Advice™ dogma that rings most false in my own experience as a player, playing a wide variety of stuff. If I have just a single-shotgun or chaingun I'm not killing them. Absolutely not. Idk, I've played plenty of '90s and '00s wads with stereotypical """Bad Baron Usage""" but it has never gotten my goat, unless they are lining 64-wide hallways or installed in doors with block lines or something. They can be goated into infighting stuff, or you can shoot SSG shots at them while multitasking (hump wall -> boom -> pick up that green armor on the other side of the room -> boom -> trigger lift -> boom -> get on lift -> boom -> lift goes up -> boom). I don't think they are that ba-aaaaa-aad. Behoofs the player to make fun out of them where possible.   

Sorting monsters by how many annoyances they cause, pain elementals have to be up there, but not for reasons most people would have. It's when there's like one or two pain elementals in a fairly spacious area in a conventional (i.e., non-slaughter or non-challenge) map, with several other non-factor monsters tossed in. Okay, I have lots of space, enough ammo that I can just go afk for a minute behind a window and be able to comfortably clean up the soul spam, so what does the mapper expect me to do, panic for no reason? Because omg, PE = priority target!!! Screw that, I'm already falling asleep because this sort of usage is conspicuous harmless clean-up from the very beginning. The worst is when an encounter is nothing but several cacos and a small number of PEs tossed in, again, in an open space, I guess because they look similar. Zzzz. 

Also not a fan of dispersion. Revs and cacos usually cause it the most. RL spam maps, ideals are -> slaughtery, dense . . . yeah, spammy. Fighting loose groups of 3-4 revs in spacious areas? Getting sleepy. Either combine that all into a horde of revs (basically, enough that when there are finally low numbers of revs left, they all are low on HP and can be killed with one or two SSG shots lol, <3 splash damage <3), or Ctrl+F "revenants" -> replace with "archviles". If monsters in an open space are placed such that they resist the concept of splash damage entirely, there's no point. No fun firing rockets at cacos here and there that go flying backwards forever. The plasma rifle is better for all that stuff. Cacoswarms. Love pumping rockets into cacoswarms. This is why I love slaughtermaps; they get this right, and at least a well-tuned slaughtermap relegates its cleanup to the ends of encounters, as opposed to being cleanup from the beginning to the end of every encounter. Yeah, that gets my goat. 

Spectre, it's the only enemy I dislike, which is bad because I used to like them but higher resolutions and software render makes them almost invisible, and I don't like that I can't see what's biting me. Out of personal tastes, I might still find them "interestingly used" from time to time, like any other single enemy in the game. 

The poll is missing tons of enemies: spiderdemons, nazis, cyberdemons, IoS, keens, barrels, doors, one's RL skills, caco corpses, RNG, blockmap oh wait this one is my least favourite enemy. 

One does not simply have a least favorite Doom monster.

/thread

I've seen several good uses of all monsters. I do think it is harder to effectively use some monsters, but all of them can and have been used exceedingly well.

I feel like the arachnotron is objectively bad due to its bizarre large hitbox, since it severely limits its uses and abilities. I guess that would then apply to mama spider too, though.

If you shrink both spider's hitbox sizes to about 80% they become 99999999999x more practical to use in your maps. The hitbox is so huge by default that it looks like you're still a good 2-3 feet away from the damn things when you run into them.

5 hours ago, Soundblock said:

I'm gonna dodge the Pain Elemental bullet and say Arachnotron, just because I usually map more than I play and Arachnotron is a bitch to place out interestingly. He's so damn bulky and can be very uninteresting if placed wrong. Very satisfying when you get it right though.

I think their placement works best when you place them as snipers in my opinion, so far ledges and vantage points that way they can cover a wide area and put pressure on the player. I think their attack is a little bit better at extreme ranges than that of the Mancubus. Or you can do what Sandy did and generally place them guarding an outside perimeter of some sort.

As far as the topic goes, I like them all, they all have their purpose and they are all fun to fight against.

What, no SS Nazi or Commander Keen? I personally don't dislike them, but there are people who throw a fit whenever they see one in a map.

Definitely Lost Souls, especially when you fight a large group of monsters and you're firing rockets at them and all of a sudden a single Lost Soul floats right in front of your face right as you fire your rocket launcher.

Kinda stuck between 2 options, Pinkies and Lost Souls, but I ultimately chose Lost Souls because they can be very annoying when they come in sheer numbers and corner you, or one takes you by surprise when you least expect it. Pinkies are just ugly and a pain to look at for me (probably one of the fewer people to like the Spectres instead).

Edit: Just remembered something. I somehow completely forgot about the ghost enemies who are affected only by splash damage, supposedly due to some sort of bug. I remember them from Icarus and damn if they weren't annoying to deal with if you're out of/low on rockets. Very threatening considering normal weapons don't affect them at all. Tempted to choose them instead of Lost Souls.

Edited by Agent6

probably lost souls & masterminds

lost souls because their erratic movement and tendency to get stuck in walls is irrirating to me - looking for the last soul and finding its screaming inside a wall...

masterminds because theyre rarely used very well and arent very satisfying to kill

Spectres because they are hard to see even with gamma correction 4, making me lose time in UV-Max. ;(

Baron of Hell, but it's not a hard hate. They're kinda boring in most situations, but can become perhaps too exciting when used in tight spaces because then they are super-effective. I have also, with malice aforethought and no intention to apologize, used them as "doors with health," but primarily to serve as a stopper in a larger fight. This prevents the player from reaching a goal before I want them to, so they have to deal with attacks from the monsters that are there to actually hurt them.

And going against the grain, I love love love Lost Souls! I love how they can scatter in a large space and attack unpredictably from multiple directions. This is especially cool when the player is at low health and a bite or 2 can take them out. Or, perhaps an unexpected Lost Soul bite can weaken a player enough to make them prey for a Former Human. The coolest, most satisfying pelt is the one delivered by our beloved little zombieboy, Doom's great underachiever. It's nice to see them win every now and then. ;)

When you think about it, each and every monster can be considered least favorite depending on where and how they are used. The mancubus is the absolute worst no matter where you place it.

8 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Spectre, it's the only enemy I dislike, which is bad because I used to like them but higher resolutions and software render makes them almost invisible, and I don't like that I can't see what's biting me. Out of personal tastes, I might still find them "interestingly used" from time to time, like any other single enemy in the game. 

The poll is missing tons of enemies: spiderdemons, nazis, cyberdemons, IoS, keens, barrels, doors, one's RL skills, caco corpses, RNG, blockmap oh wait this one is my least favourite enemy. 

What about the crusher, or the time when monsters are infighting and they hit you accidentally.

Lost souls and pain elementals are elite.

This poll is kinda funny for gauging which monsters are least disliked actually. Shotgun guy and Mancubus duking it out for the #1 slot at the moment. xD