Classic, WASD+mouse, or other?

WASD, classic, or other?   

73 members have voted

1. 1. Classic or WASD+mouse controls?

• Classic
    • WASD+mouse
    • Other

On 2/3/2018 at 1:05 PM, Killer5 said:

Both. Prefer keyboard + moouse but sometimes I like to eat while playing so I made a scheme where I can play keyboard only with 1 hand.

if i may ask, eating what exactly?

On 02/02/2018 at 10:45 PM, GamingMarine said:

WSAD and mouse look is my setup, with R to use.

For ZDoom-based controls, I use Q to jump and ENTER to crouch.

why enter? thats nowhere near your WSAD!

I play with the arrow keys + mouse, left-handed style, despite me being right-handed.

Here's the reason if you're curious:

Spoiler

When I was 6 my dad bought a digitizer tablet that came with a wireless mouse, so we used that. The thing is, the tablet was cheap and it wouldn't stay still on its own, so my dad put some self-adhesive tape below it, and since he's left-handed, he put it at the left side of the table. Because of this, I had to move the thing to the right side every time I wanted to use the computer, so I eventually got tired of doing so and ended up using the mouse with my left hand.

10 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

I play with the arrow keys + mouse, left-handed style, despite me being right-handed.

Here's the reason if you're curious:

Reveal hidden contents

When I was 6 my dad bought a digitizer tablet that came with a wireless mouse, so we used that. The thing is, the tablet was cheap and it wouldn't stay still on its own, so my dad put some self-adhesive tape below it, and since he's left-handed, he put it at the left side of the table. Because of this, I had to move the thing to the right side every time I wanted to use the computer, so I eventually got tired of doing so and ended up using the mouse with my left hand.

That's pretty cool, actually.

1 hour ago, Chewyninja69 said:

That's pretty cool, actually.

Yeah, it just turns into a nuisance in some games where you can't change the default control scheme.

Its not classic without arrow keys and no mouse. Ctrl to shoot, alt to strafe. Oh yeah. That calms the shakes.

This thread seems oddly familiar...

Anyway, for Doom I usually use a very unusual control scheme my dad came up with that I've since adapted for my own uses. I move forward by clicking down the mouse wheel, strafe with right click, shoot with left click (of course) and activate things with the spacebar. For games/mods that require more complex movement I use V to jump, C to crouch, G to throw grenades, R to reload, Z & X to select inventory items, [Enter] to use inventory items, N to drop inventory items, [L-Shift] & \ to look up and down, B to centre view, F to fly/swim up, D to fly/swim down and S to stop flying. For mods that require mouse-look I generally use a more standard WASD setup.

You'd be amazed by how well this setup works for me.

Edited by Skeletonpatch

I vividly remember playing using the classic controls, back when I still had a DOS-capable computer as a youngling. Ever since I've been introduced to the world of source ports I've played with WASD + mouse, although I'm still pretty capable of playing using the classic controls.

Classic controls initially.

Then I found a mouse and used WASD + Mouse.

Then I misplaced my keyboard.

Now I only use the mouse :P

2 hours ago, SGS Man said:

I misplaced my keyboard.

Never heard of anything like that happening before... How exactly did you 'misplace' your keyboard? I feel like this is the type of thing that has an interesting story behind it.

I recently started using prboom+ so that I could map for a community project and I can't figure out how to rebind the scroll wheel so that it doesn't cycle weapons when I accidentally scroll while pressing down on the wheel to move forward. This is pretty infuriating while testing my maps as I'll often move from the plasma gun to the rocket launcher when I'm directly in front of a wall.

@Skeletonpatch It was a keyboard failure of sorts. Several keys stopped working (including WASD... go figure), probably because my previous computer was archaic. Turns out it was driver corruption. Anyway, now I have a new computer with a functional keyboard.

WASD is by far easier than arrow keys. But then again, there is the possibility where I'm trying to run but end up hitting Q or E and start screaming at the top of my lungs vulgar insults.

I use both.

Classic with no mouse is great for easy or horror maps, since the movement is kinda clunky (in a good way). It's more challenging, but it can be good since you can feel a bit more immersed and careful.

Otherwise, WASD is a lot better for action or hardcore maps that requires quick reflexes and precise movement. Or if you want more freedom of movement overall.

Edited by Noiser