Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

The Standard E1 Community Project... lives again! (On idgames!)

So at this stage, are all the maps finalized or does anything need additional testing/feedback? Otherwise it seems like we're good once @Capellan's map gets the midi.

E1M7: Eden Log

Author: Angry Saint
Description: this is what happens when you play too much with the "draw curve mode" in GZdoom Builder
Music: ?
Build time: I didn't count.

E1M1: No crates on Phobos.

Author: Philip "Liberation" Brown.
Description: Was taking a break from making tech bases.. So decided to make another tech base?!? 
Music: Back in the Fray by PRIMEVAL. 

Build time: 2 weeks. 

I have the flu so I had time to go through this today. Played with ZDoom. Really liked most of it. Favorites: E1M7 followed by E1M9.

Found a few things.

-------
E1M1
-------
Lines 5416 and 5419 (linedef tag 8) - second sidedef missing lower texture; only seen when the lift drops to nukage level.

-------
E1M3
-------
In the level name, what is 'Reckon' short for? 'Reconnaissance'? There's no K in Recon.

-------
E1M5
-------
The Soul Sphere secret is tagged as two secrets; one when you cross through the hidden door, one when you enter the courtyard.

The IR Goggle secret can't be scored. The secret sector is only 16 units wide. The center of the player can't cross into the sector to trigger it.

-------
E1M7
-------
Sector tag 2, the big floor that lowers, only goes back up twice with two W1 linedefs. Was that intentional to show the player that is was possible to slide around the edge of the hole?

-------
E1M8
-------
The Red and Blue Key bars which block the entrance are all tagged D1. So you can only go back outside four times? Was that intentional? Going outside and shooting through the bars came in handy with the Caco swarm.

How are you supposed to get to the Baron/Cell Pack/Rocket Boxes secret? Nothing is tagged as a lift and there are no teleport spots. Is the short Support2 lift to the east supposed to lower one of the other blocks?

Good Stuff!

20 minutes ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

-------

E1M3
-------
In the level name, what is 'Reckon' short for? 'Reconnaissance'? There's no K in Recon.

It is game of words, recon and reckoning. Like many other custom Doom map names. Not only maps. "Nukage" or "nukeage" as example...

1 hour ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

-------

E1M8
-------
The Red and Blue Key bars which block the entrance are all tagged D1. So you can only go back outside four times? Was that intentional? Going outside and shooting through the bars came in handy with the Caco swarm.

How are you supposed to get to the Baron/Cell Pack/Rocket Boxes secret? Nothing is tagged as a lift and there are no teleport spots. Is the short Support2 lift to the east supposed to lower one of the other blocks?

Thanks for the playtesting feedback @EffinghamHuffnagel!

The D1 bars are a mistake on my part. I haven't tried leaving multiple times to notice it. Think I'll be adding a switch to just open them permanently once you obtain both keys.

The Baron secret platform is tagged 666, which uses the special e1m8 action of lowering that floor once all the Barons in the map are dead. Likewise, the same deal happens with the exit tower door, which opens once all Cybers are dead through the use of the 666 tag and some minor dehacked work.

The short Support2 lift is there for the jokes. Originally there were no rocks to get back up, but there is little point in using it now. ;)

Primeval has sent me a first cut of the music.  It'll take me about 24 hours to listen to it and give him any necessary feedback,  And then he may or may not need to make changes, I guess :)

On 2/1/2018 at 6:55 PM, Spectre01 said:

The Baron secret platform is tagged 666, which uses the special e1m8 action of lowering that floor once all the Barons in the map are dead. Likewise, the same deal happens with the exit tower door, which opens once all Cybers are dead through the use of the 666 tag and some minor dehacked work.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I went secret-hunting after everything was dead. The platform hadn't lowered. I just ran through it again superfast in god mode. I used the kill command on everything except Barons and Cybers to see what happens. When the last Cyber dies, I saw the tower door open. And that may be the problem. The E1M8 default action of 666 is LowerFloorToLowest when the last Baron dies. Here, you have it open a door when the last Cyber dies. But you also want it to lower the floor on the Baron platform. I don't think the tag can perform two different actions at the same time without voodoo doll trickery. I think it's also trying to 'open the door' on the Baron platform. Maybe it works differently in pr-boom. Don't know. 

Edit: Late edit for completeness to anyone reading through the history of this project. I also tested the above map version in GZDoom 3.2.5. Same issue. Not just a problem in a no-longer supported port like ZDoom.

Edited by EffinghamHuffnagel

@EffinghamHuffnagel You're right, for some reason the platform doesn't lower in ZDoom like it does in PRBoom+. :/ That's fine, I'll put that tiny lift to use and make it lower one of the garg head slabs, so you can access it in ZDoom ports! It also gives an alternative in PRBoom+ if you don't kill all the Barons, which is fine I guess. That's interesting though: usually if something works fine in a simpler port like PRBoom+, it naturally works in ZDoom by default.

Here is a fixed version based on the feedback by @EffinghamHuffnagel: E1M8_S01_Final_Fix.zip

I quickly tested both the "kill monsters" command in ZDoom and "tntem" in PRBoom+ to verify that both the exit door and Baron platform lower in each port. For some reason, despite the dehacked being the same, the Baron platform doesn't lower in ZDoom in the current STANDARD.wad. Works fine in PRBoom+ though. In the event that ZDoom-based ports don't like it, I've added an alternative method of reaching the ammo stash there by using the small lift, and also put an extra +20 armour there as an incentive.

Hopefully everything is good!

@Liberation's MIDI, "Back in the Fray"

@Capellan's MIDI, "Frantic"

@The_SloVinator's MIDI, "Industrial Machine"

@CarpetolA's MIDI, "Tension"

@mrthejoshmon's MIDI, "Lurking Fear"

If anyone else needs a MIDI, lemme know and I'll work on it tomorrow. If not, my end of the bargain is done. Unless you want an Intro and Intermission theme, @Walter confetti?

Edited by PRIMEVAL

Cool, that was fast!

Downloaded your midis and the final version of spectre01 map... i'll put in the main wad soon

Sorry for my absence. I'm going to have to ask you to stall an eventual release. I will try to implement a change on the exit area of my map as proposed by @Capellan. I'll get back to you guys with my final outcome.

@EffinghamHuffnagel I intentionally kept the two adjacent secrets, with my map being a homage to the original E1M5 and all. However, you gave me an idea. I took away the possibility to open the door manually, so one will have to find a switch in the main room in order to open the door and reach the soulsphere. You'll have to be quick on your feet, though.

The small secret compartment for the goggles has been enlarged. 

@Capellan I amped up the exit area with extra traps and monsters. I also moved the teleport destinations from the T-sections to the corridors. A little extra ammo and health, just for precautions. I should be finished now, as of this version.

Send questions/feedback my way, as per usual.

3RDMOLAB_V4.zip

While testing with zandronum and prboom 2.5.3.0 and doing the final compilaton for this episode (sorry for taking so long!) i found these little bugs:

(E1M2) @Capellan: Unknown texture "brick" on second side of linedefs 677 and 685

(E1M8) @Spectre01: Floor "-" not found (this bug appears only in prboom 2.5.3.0, on prboom-plus i don't find any problem)

Does that floor "-" bug cause a crash or pop up as a warning @Walter confetti? Also, I'm pretty sure most folks use PRBoom+ these days and not regular PRBoom. As long as the maps work fine in current ports, it's probably not an issue.

21 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

While testing with zandronum and prboom 2.5.3.0 and doing the final compilaton for this episode (sorry for taking so long!) i found these little bugs:

(E1M2) @Capellan: Unknown texture "brick" on second side of linedefs 677 and 685

Neither sidedef so marked is ever visible.  Feel free to simply remove the textures from the 2nd sidedefs of those lines.

We are ready for a release, just finding a way to write The_SloVinator name properly on the title graphics... using doomword and doom text editor as title lump editor...