Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cadman

Community Chest Project

I just wanted to bring the Doom Community up to date on the status of the project we have called "Community Chest." So far everything is going good, we have all the map slots accounted for and I'm really seeing some good maps. There are even some people who haven't done any mapping for a couple of years that have joined in with us. The entire team is very excited about this project. It's not just me that's been keeping this project alive, it's everyone on the entire team that has been keeping it going! I have around 10 maps submitted to me so far and the quality is good.

I also wanted to say thanks to the "Doom Community" for participating in this, thanks!

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Sounds like it's going along well Cadman. Sorry I couldn't do a map, but I suck at mapping and I couldn't get any ideas. Keep us updated :D

myk said:

Maybe a mod should merge the threads.

I don't see why... :)

ravage said:

My map may be done in 2 wks, or more. (try the latter) :P

You are alot faster than me... :P
God, I need to get some more mapping speed.

Ultimate DooMer said:

Nah, the posts aren't coming in fast enough for that.

Far too slow.

Torn said:

you and me both! i'm slow as hell, and what time i do have is filled with my meaningless job! ...and trolling doomworld. ;p

Just a reminder- (mostly for myself) I cannot map and troll at the same time. DCK is, uh, well, DCK. You know what it is.

Torn said:

I can create the basic layout of a map really fast, and the detail almost as fast. But the slow part is bug fixing and texture aligning. I am really picky about those things in my map, so it takes me a while to do them.

Lightning Hunter said:

I can create the basic layout of a map really fast, and the detail almost as fast. But the slow part is bug fixing and texture aligning. I am really picky about those things in my map, so it takes me a while to do them.

you see im a bit different i've so far only really been working on one map and the textures don't really need lining up and those that do i can get fixed fairly fast but i don't lay out the whole map in one shot i lay some stuff down and then run the map check things out and then add some stuff fix it etc until im done, im kinda stumped on my map right now, not for CC, but being my first map and all don't really wanna mess with what i have right now as i like it but i find the hardest part of mapping is populating the map with the right balance of ammo enemies and health

eye_con said:

you see im a bit different i've so far only really been working on one map and the textures don't really need lining up and those that do i can get fixed fairly fast but i don't lay out the whole map in one shot i lay some stuff down and then run the map check things out and then add some stuff fix it etc until im done, im kinda stumped on my map right now, not for CC, but being my first map and all don't really wanna mess with what i have right now as i like it but i find the hardest part of mapping is populating the map with the right balance of ammo enemies and health

Well, and don't forget texture alignment, I used like 1hour on fixing my texture alignment in abandoned mines ii... :)

My approach seems to be the opposite to the norm. I don't plan anything beforehand and I make it up as I go along. I tend to do everything as I make it, I put in the monsters the health/ammo/equipment and align textures. The thing I don't do is to consider the map, secrets and invisible lines etc., that's the last thing I do.

I think I'll try that for a few maps, at least as a starting point... I bet it's interesting to just let the design flow.

magikal said:

My approach seems to be the opposite to the norm. I don't plan anything beforehand and I make it up as I go along. I tend to do everything as I make it, I put in the monsters the health/ammo/equipment and align textures. The thing I don't do is to consider the map, secrets and invisible lines etc., that's the last thing I do.

I usually have some idea of what I want the map to look like and what I want to accomplish in the map, but nothing set in stone. I usually make the entire level first, fix bugs and misalignments, etc, then add monsters and ammo and stuff after everything else is done.

Archvile64 said:

I usually have some idea of what I want the map to look like and what I want to accomplish in the map, but nothing set in stone. I usually make the entire level first, fix bugs and misalignments, etc, then add monsters and ammo and stuff after everything else is done.

Yep this approach seems to be the norm. Fredrik couldn't believe it when I mentioned putting the monsters in as I went along, heh.

It is also hard to find the right design, even if you have most of the map in your head (one of my problems... :P)

magikal said:

Yep this approach seems to be the norm. Fredrik couldn't believe it when I mentioned putting the monsters in as I went along, heh.

The only reason I wait to put them in is cause it's easier to playtest the other aspects of the map without monsters everywhere.

Archvile64 said:

The only reason I wait to put them in is cause it's easier to playtest the other aspects of the map without monsters everywhere.

-nomonsters

well, you can also just set a few monsters for playtest... :)
like 1/4 of all monsters there should be in the place

magikal said:

-nomonsters

Meh, damn you for thinking intelligently.

Anyway, I still find it easier to just put the monsters in after everything else :P

Archvile64 said:

Meh, damn you for thinking intelligently.

Anyway, I still find it easier to just put the monsters in after everything else :P

'

Yeah, it is also easier, IMO

Torn said:

'

Yeah, it is also easier, IMO

It is, no doubt. The main reason I insert monsters as I go along is because I'm actually playtesting it as I edit, so that the map is actually built around the fighting scenarios and not the other way around. I can easily set distances and proportions to accomodate the battle, whereas if the architecture is already set it may not be as easy to change to accomodate the monsters.
I must say it is quite obvious in a lot of maps that the monsters have been 'stuck' in afterwards, but then again some of the great maps were made this way.

magikal said:

It is, no doubt. The main reason I insert monsters as I go along is because I'm actually playtesting it as I edit, so that the map is actually built around the fighting scenarios and not the other way around. I can easily set distances and proportions to accomodate the battle, whereas if the architecture is already set it may not be as easy to change to accomodate the monsters.
I must say it is quite obvious in a lot of maps that the monsters have been 'stuck' in afterwards, but then again some of the great maps were made this way.

Although I admit my weakest point as a level designer is gameplay and monster placement, I usually have some idea of what I want the monsters in each room to be, so I can still sort of design architecture accordingly. I rarely just "stick" monsters in levels.