Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Wads with the most inappropriate midi for a shooter/any game?

I had some demos of me smacking up a friend on dwango5 map01. One ended with him ragequitting after he respawned in front of his own rocket. He couldn't stand Cameron's Titanic  movie, so I played back the demo with a midi of my heart will go on.  You should have seen his face. I think you would call that midi in any wad "inappropriate ".

On 7.2.2018 at 7:15 PM, DanielAlexander said:

Its Slaughterfest 2012 Map15: Doomherolandia by General Rainbow Bacon

Thx I'll check that out. NormallY i like dark or ambient music in doom, but the more ridiculous the slaughter, the better the dumb music. Iirc strain had that secret map playing the Blue Danube by Strauss , not slaughter by today's standards, but still a good example here.

Roger Ritenour always had... questionable decisions regarding music in his wads, but the absolute pinnacle for me has to go to Pleiades. the levels you go through has these little text crawl stories attached to them that, coupled with the level-design, the looming darkness, black starry skies and ambient sound effects, is obviously trying to be an eerie and atmospheric little space horror story.

so why the fuck does it have all of these terrible, terrible MIDI renditions of classic/baroque music that completely kills any semblance of mood and atmosphere that they were trying to accomplish?

i didn't mind too much in Earth, because that one had a much brighter Earth setting and the music choices i actually found kind of endearing, and Phobos is a remake of the first 4 levels of Doom's E1 levels, so them using E1 tracks makes sense, and having Mars, The Bringer of War as the E1 theme actually makes sense in the context of everything else in the mod. 

but Pleiades? no excuse, honestly, the music choices are trash (sans for the tracks used in the revamped versions of his Phobos levels), and it kills any atmosphere that the mod was trying to build up. thank god for Jimmy's Jukebox, so i can use some much more fitting and brooding pieces to make Pleiades an actually interesting and suspenseful experience. it's infinitely better than what was provided in the mod, that's for damn sure.

1 hour ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

Roger Ritenour always had... questionable decisions regarding music in his wads, but the absolute pinnacle for me has to go to Pleiades. the levels you go through has these little text crawl stories attached to them that, coupled with the level-design, the looming darkness, black starry skies and ambient sound effects, is obviously trying to be an eerie and atmospheric little space horror story.

so why the fuck does it have all of these terrible, terrible MIDI renditions of classic/baroque music that completely kills any semblance of mood and atmosphere that they were trying to accomplish?

i didn't mind too much in Earth, because that one had a much brighter Earth setting and the music choices i actually found kind of endearing, and Phobos is a remake of the first 4 levels of Doom's E1 levels, so them using E1 tracks makes sense, and having Mars, The Bringer of War as the E1 theme actually makes sense in the context of everything else in the mod. 

but Pleiades? no excuse, honestly, the music choices are trash (sans for the tracks used in the revamped versions of his Phobos levels), and it kills any atmosphere that the mod was trying to build up. thank god for Jimmy's Jukebox, so i can use some much more fitting and brooding pieces to make Pleiades an actually interesting and suspenseful experience. it's infinitely better than what was provided in the mod, that's for damn sure.

Even still that Mars midi was pretty terrible. I wonder what dew would call it, the '90s Flower Metal Band Intro Tape Mix?

I think the earth.wad map04 music would be perfect for a Duke 3D map set in a mall though.

Edited by Woolie Wool

I don't even remember which WAD had this, but I swear I was playing through an otherwise-legit WAD that, for no reason at all, played "Who's Johnny?" over one of the maps.

On 2/7/2018 at 4:15 PM, dew said:

Earth dot fucking wad by Roger Ritenour.

map01: Ben E. King - Stand By Me (Beach Cabana Lazy Afternoon mix)

map02: The Demon's Dead

map03: Countdown to Death

map04: Laura Branigan - Self Control (Mean Girls' Shopping Spree mix)

map05: Dark Halls

map06: In the Dark

map07: Sign of the Evil

map08: Vangelis - Conquest of Paradise (Grandpa's Awkward Cremation mix)

map09: Tiffany - I Think We're Alone Now (RPGMaker Fetch Quest mix)

map10: ...I'm actually afraid this might be a rendition of Space Jam

Explain this to me, I dare you.

Never thought I'd see Vangelis in a Doom wad.  In fact, I'm surprised most people even know who he is.

Just now, Master O said:

Never thought I'd see Vangelis in a Doom wad.  In fact, I'm surprised most people even know who he is.

You're forgetting the ubiquitous Bladerunner main theme!

Just now, invictius said:

You're forgetting the ubiquitous Bladerunner main theme!

That's not what he's known for.

He's much better known for "Chariots of Fire's" iconic theme where the runners are running on the beach.

1 hour ago, Master O said:

?

It's like claiming to be surprised people have heard of John Williams or Danny Elfman.

2 hours ago, Master O said:

I'm surprised most people even know who he is.

2 hours ago, Master O said:

That's not what he's known for.

You're not coming across as very informed here.

3 hours ago, Master O said:

The music on TNT Evilution map04/29 is based on Vangelis's "Life of Antarctica".

51 minutes ago, LHSpanner said:

The music on TNT Evilution map04/29 is based on Vangelis's "Life of Antarctica".

The More You Know... 

Just remembered another one.  One level in Jon Landis's "Eye of the Beholder" had a jaunty music track, made by Landis himself, that defies description - it's like the James Bond theme done as a cross between a fast waltz and an Irish jig.

Jon Landis was a uniquely talented musician, and an absolutely sadistic level designer.  "Eye of the Beholder" doesn't play like conventional Doom at all, and that odd track adds to the general air of brilliant eccentricity (or if it's not to your taste, infuriating perversity.)