Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

what are you working on? I wanna see your wads.

j11qKQa.png

XAZU1MR.png

Did some more work on Umbra of Fate tonight.  Getting closer to finishing it feels refreshing.

Not pictured: the 9 times I died in the previous three areas trying to get this shot without cheating and the 7% remaining health I have.

I've been working on a 9 level e1 replacement for ultimate doom. "in the mess of it" is the current working title.

here's the 2D overhead of e1m5 called "sector WN".  the level is pretty much  2 loops, you won't know one of them is there without finding a secret. i've also got 4 other levels done, and another one maybe has 2 hours of work left on it.

the spawn location is inspired by wolfenstein: you'll infront of a box with a door ahead of you, take a step forward or to the side and you'll be spotted by enemies, and after looking around the room you'll find it is a hub. 

the level was made in a week. hopefully, the mapset will be finished by the end of this month or the beginning of next month.

let me know what you guys think of the screenshot.

e1m5.png

In game screenshots are always better for me. It looks like a good mid 90s map from the automap alone though!

i'm gonna put in 3 screenshots for other maps of the afforementioned episode. first, here's a youtube video of e1m6's start: 

the screenshot with the imps is e1m2, it's a sort of sewer theme in the later bit.

the one with the shotgunner is from e1m3 this level's got a crate maze theme to it.

and the other screenshot is from the secret level i call it "escape from castle holle-hangar

Screenshot_Doom_20180205_131211.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180205_131606.png

e1m9.png

Edited by joshthenesnerd

A concept for joel's mapping contest:

J74Wund.png

I swear all my map layouts look fucking identical. A bunch of twisty rooms not really connected to one another very interesting, forced height variation by dividing up all the rooms and adding some stairs shoved off to the side. Everything I try, my maps revert just back to this and its starting to grate on me.

5 hours ago, InsanityBringer said:

I swear all my map layouts look fucking identical. A bunch of twisty rooms not really connected to one another very interesting, forced height variation by dividing up all the rooms and adding some stairs shoved off to the side. Everything I try, my maps revert just back to this and its starting to grate on me.

you could try making some near-copies of maps that you admire/have a significantly different style than you maybe, just to get a feel for doing something different

Yeah, I really should practice doing that. I haven't played a huge amount of WADs to be completely honest, but I've played a wide variety of different ones, so there's a lot to learn about making things actually join together and look nice.

I did, however, try a simplistic encounter I have never done before

NALTSLa.png

Enter a room, basic supplies, 3 doors, and a switch that opens them all at once. You get as much time to look at the monsters and figure out how you're going to deal with them before you unleash them and they flood into the room, surrounding you if you aren't careful. Nothing too special, but there's been nothing like this in any of my older maps.

and another image from the beginning

DIcZOV7.png

i've fucking done it i've converted a puzzle and dragons dungeon into a fucking doom map

An update for a possible gameplay or tc mod of Earthworm Jim . Most of the sprites are still WIP (The video quality is low because my internet connection is bad)

11 minutes ago, Dude27th said:

An update for a possible gameplay or tc mod of Earthworm Jim . Most of the sprites are still WIP (The video quality is low because my internet connection is bad)

Oooooohhhh! Tender!

here are the only screenshots I can think to post of the wad i'm working on:

zekwuh01.png

zekwuh02.png

On 1/28/2018 at 9:36 AM, Fonze said:

Ummm.... reading comprehension much?

First off, making a columbine joke (and by extension, pointing out that one can be made) is literally making fun of the tragedy, like that's kinda the definition. Further, he felt the need to point out that a columbine joke could be made (encouraging others) rather than trying to distance himself from the tragedy, which points out that he is knowledgable-enough about what happened to know how bad that is. Note also that he did not try to distance himself from "school doom wad=columbine" at all; he did not say that his wad is a harmless thing for fun between him and his school friends while bored in computer class or something like that, or that he just wanted to make a layout of an area the people he'd be dm'ing with would be familiar with, no; he went straight to the taboo. When called out on being distasteful, he proudly/smartassishly stated that's what he's known for. And I hope that statement becomes the truth; always good to be able to recognize gutter trash when seen.

But he was more than happy to point out that:

And unfortunately he isn't known for anything else around here, so now this is literally all he is known for here. Well done!

I agree, and hopefully this guy will have a sense of humor about people treating him as a pariah, after all, if you cannot laugh at yourself, you should not laugh at others. Which I would have to extend for this example to if you cannot laugh at the thought of yourself getting shot to death or seeing a friend, sibling, or your own offspring shot to death, (because that's what happened there) maybe you shouldn't make jokes or encourage them about that happening to other people, because they were as important then as you are now and nobody is above death or extreme trauma.

Okay, damn... I never expected something like this to come up... 
I guess I should apologize. I expected people to make the joke after I posted it, so I thought that I might as well make a joke about it myself, unfortunately, after further inspection, this sure isn't 4chan. I kinda derailed people from the thread, with people defending me, and the majority taking offense. Of course, a huge national tragedy should not be joked about, and I'll watch what I say before posting here. Have fun posting, and again, sorry about everything. Have a good day!

Spoiler

I bet you expected another joke here, nope. Nothing.

On 1/28/2018 at 3:42 AM, K3K said:

I like the theme going on here! Looks like it could be pretty fun, and the geometry and texture choice is pretty cool as well. Are their replacements for all of the weapons? I notice the AK-47 and was curious as if that was the only replacement or not. How many maps are we talking here?

Thanks, man! I'm hoping to do as many maps as I can, but I'll probably do around 10 maps. There are several weapons laying around, MP5's, Tesla Cannons, Knives, SPAS-12's, a whole bunch of stuff! Honestly, I took a whole bunch of stuff from Realm667, with the weapons only being a fraction of it, so the credits list will be a mile long.

Thanks for showing interest in the map!

On 2/4/2018 at 11:35 PM, YukiRaven said:

j11qKQa.png

XAZU1MR.png

Did some more work on Umbra of Fate tonight.

Even if I the gameplay is antithesis to my playstyle, I am very much looking forward to seeing this published

Screenshot_Doom_20180210_191536.png.a116a8d92be6fc8a93a97b40e6e584cb.png

Hehe I made a map in GZDoom builder in UDMF format. It's not yet finished and with no gameplay specifics whatsoever. This is a (not yet finished) well-detailed (hope so) open-world map I'm planning to complete by next year. (definitely recommend using GZDoom in testing <also, dynamic lights on>), complete with some furniture made with slopes and textured with DooM generic textures (along with just a few custom textures plus some which I ripped from Skulltag...I think that's illegal right?). I also recreated the MAP01 from DooM 2 for the UAC building. I would love getting suggestions from you guys. ;)

I'll be uploading the .WAD file by the time I already have a mediafire account.

Screenshot_Doom_20180210_191253.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180210_191404.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180210_191444.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180210_191612.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180210_191633.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180210_191658.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180210_191706.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180210_191901.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180210_191921.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180210_191942.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180210_192152.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180210_192257.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180210_191756.png

On 2/5/2018 at 8:40 PM, InsanityBringer said:

A concept for joel's mapping contest:

J74Wund.png

I think it helps a lot to be willing to just get rid of stuff. Especially if you work room-by-room. Walls should be capable of disappearing. Void space can go away. Whole rooms can be moved and rotated and Frankensteined. If I started with the layout above, next step would be something like (drawing this turned out quite tough, heh): 

FZiwbtn.png

The lower two rooms have become one -- that's a stepped ledge, in the middle, since the thickness of the lines might not make that clear. The little void space beneath the top room is also a good candidate for removal. I already showed I'd stretch out the 128(?)-wide opening by quite a bit. The room with the caco can be connected to the hallway right above it via the lines that have the same angle. That could either be a window or a physical connection. Might extend the south room on the south-east side with a room that has projectile monsters firing over and into the other area. That room wouldn't be connected via a 128-wide opening or something weaksauce like that either -- it'd be a long ledge, or multiple windows. If you are struggling with uninteresting transitions: (1) Do away with narrow openings as a primary means of connecting separate rooms or areas. (Within an area, they can be better, like the curved hallway/stairway on the southwest.) Force yourself to use at least 256 or more worth of openings (which bear in mind can be multiple smaller openings in slightly different places). (2) Be willing to delete walls and void liberally. Even if you have "detail" in place. (3) Design areas detached from the existing map, and THEN connect them. This works because sometimes it's tempting to make ultra-perfunctory transitions just to start working on the next area (which are salvageable by improvising additional connections, but could get messy). (4) Design areas that can't be reached via the way you first connect them to the proper map, which remain a visual connection, or perhaps a later reroute (like that cool "you see a key door in one direction first, but you end up using the OTHER SIDE first!" trope); instead design another way for the player to eventually get there.  

Edit: You could learn from Deadwing's stuff too. His layouts are cool, and the shapes and overall detail level are also not too far removed from what I've seen in your maps. Your shapes here are pretty good btw (in the rooms that are obviously more close to being 'finished'), just need to work on how areas are connected. 

Edited by rdwpa

rdwpa, there's definitely a lot to be learned from there, and I'll put some of it into practice as I do more tweaking with the map. I definitely have trouble "deleting" things and I find that one of my flaws at the moment is that I do try to keep things too solid once I get them to a point where I'm not entirely displeased with them. To be honest about one thing, I am really uncomfortable with doing larger spaces (and well, smaller spaces connected in a more open way), I feel they always degrade into a clusterfuck than any interesting gameplay, but I think I might try combining the rooms together a lot more like that. From what I do know I think I might be able to tame the gameplay in a relatively interesting manner, and everything I have in that area I'm reasonably pleased with, but its definitely a bit of room by room scenario. Still days left on this event so I have plenty of time to adjust.

21 minutes ago, doomero-21 said:

i recently finished my second level for my doom3 tc for gzdoom revenge of evil, here a gameplay of map01 and map02.

This looks very cool, I wouldn't have recognized it as the Doom engine if you hadn't said so.

If I may offer some feedback, the lighting in the opening areas is too bright, and the head-bobbing is way too fast and intense.

On 10/2/2018 at 7:59 AM, Ravin Louis said:

Screenshot_Doom_20180210_191536.png.a116a8d92be6fc8a93a97b40e6e584cb.png

Hehe I made a map in GZDoom builder in UDMF format. It's not yet finished and with no gameplay specifics whatsoever. This is a (not yet finished) well-detailed (hope so) open-world map I'm planning to complete by next year. (definitely recommend using GZDoom in testing <also, dynamic lights on>), complete with some furniture made with slopes and textured with DooM generic textures (along with just a few custom textures plus some which I ripped from Skulltag...I think that's illegal right?). I also recreated the MAP01 from DooM 2 for the UAC building. I would love getting suggestions from you guys. ;)

I'll be uploading the .WAD file by the time I already have a mediafire account.

Screenshot_Doom_20180210_191253.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180210_191404.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180210_191444.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180210_191612.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180210_191633.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180210_191658.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180210_191706.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180210_191901.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180210_191921.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180210_191942.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180210_192152.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180210_192257.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180210_191756.png

That fists sprites looks good ! How did you make them ?