Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
94's the best style

A whole year of 4800 Hell Knights! This time, it'll be finished!

On 22.1.2018 at 2:23 AM, Worm318 said:

My submission for this project: Bricklinear filtering. Theme is "brick and metal". It requires GZDoom.

Uses some few textures taken from cc4-tex, tried to remove the unused ones, not sure if I did it correctly but it works.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Rd6gYSbDiEtc-BKcQzZ2sOWaAtbsqh4C

I hope you like it

OH MAN! You really need to show the player that you can walk on the skybox better, especially since at least two maps in this compilation use it as instant death.

I had to cheat in order to learn that out. Anyways, the demo. Gzdoom 3.2.5.0

Worm.zip

On 23/1/2018 at 2:18 PM, 94's the best style said:

OH MAN! You really need to show the player that you can walk on the skybox better, especially since at least two maps in this compilation use it as instant death.

I had to cheat in order to learn that out. Anyways, the demo. Gzdoom 3.2.5.0

Worm.zip

I decided to ditch the skybox ending and go with this instead, besides other minor changes
Screenshot_Doom_20180128_181634.png.67bf327cc2a27d9001589ae29130d3e8.png

New version can be downloaded with the same link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Rd6gYSbDiEtc-BKcQzZ2sOWaAtbsqh4C

"In Vacuo" V1.0

-Visuals done

-Lots of balancing (more health and ammo)

-Added custom MIDI

-Now occupies MAP14 slot

-Secrets added

-Now makes use of the custom weapons and monsters

-Added MAPINFO

Probably the final version if no major issues are found.

Ok guys (and gals), a friendly reminder that DEADLINE is March 1st, 2018! Now if my calculations aren't completely out of whack, that means that you have 1 month to finish your maps (and the hub map as well @therektafire, I can help if you need any.) We already have a nice handful of maps, but you can never have too many Hell Knights, can you?

Damn I need to get to work :( I should have worked on my map today but I got caught up in playing Irisu syndrome instead (definitely would recommend, its pretty short and has a really fun and addicting minigame). I will probably skip this month's pigeon session to give myself some more time

Ironically though, the only time i can seem to muster enough motivation to get any substantial amount of mapping done is when  it is a speedmap..

2 hours ago, therektafire said:

Ironically though, the only time i can seem to muster enough motivation to get any substantial amount of mapping done is when  it is a speedmap..

Then why not set some sort of speedmap-esque limit for yourself for the hub map? If speedmapping is what really drives you to get to work on your map(s), then I say, embrace that and use it to your advantage.

Here's my submission, The Gallow's Pole.  This is a little simpler than most of the other submissions, but this was my first time working with anything more advanced than vanilla. I feel the difficulty may need to be tweaked somewhat.

P.S. Try playing on different difficulty levels to see your various sins. :)

2 hours ago, Rolpa said:

Here's my submission, The Gallow's Pole.  This is a little simpler than most of the other submissions, but this was my first time working with anything more advanced than vanilla. I feel the difficulty may need to be tweaked somewhat.

P.S. Try playing on different difficulty levels to see your various sins. :)

Mostly, you just need to drop some ammo with each wave (unless the goal of the last round was to tyson 50 hell knights on HNTR :P). Esp. with the use of monsters that don't really infight well. health was good, it was set up really well otherwise, I like the concept. 

3 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

Mostly, you just need to drop some ammo with each wave (unless the goal of the last round was to tyson 50 hell knights on HNTR :P). Esp. with the use of monsters that don't really infight well. health was good, it was set up really well otherwise, I like the concept. 

Yup, I figured that ammo would probably be an issue, especially on the last wave! I think I might trim down the number of knights on the last wave and make another, or merge them into an already existing one.

I did not really want to release the map in an unfinished state, but seeing as February may be a busy time for me i'd rather put out what I have now so I can get feedback on it earlier rather than wait till it's finished and be forced to tune it up in a hurry. Id say its at least 80% or more complete so any and all suggestions on flow, fixes, and changes would be much appreciated!

Baron Zepplin

Style: GZDOOM

Map: 20

EDIT: Added a less cloudy and no cloud version for testing

Edited by DerFurer'sFace

1 hour ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

I did not really want to release the map in an unfinished state, but seeing as February may be a busy time for me i'd rather put out what I have now so I can get feedback on it earlier rather than wait till it's finished and be forced to tune it up in a hurry. Id say its at least 80% or more complete so any and all suggestions on flow, fixes, and changes would be much appreciated!

Baron Zepplin

Map: 20

Holy shit, this map doesn't run good even in the smallest possible window size, is it the fog that's lagging the game up?

2 hours ago, 94's the best style said:

Holy shit, this map doesn't run good even in the smallest possible window size, is it the fog that's lagging the game up?

maybe, i've had problems like this before. I have a pretty nice computer so most things doom related are crystal clear for me, but sometimes those particle/weather generators can be a bog down for others.

i like the couds since i feel it really adds to the map, but if it clutters it up soo much i can either tone them down drastically or remove them, which i'd rather not.

Hm, judging by the first area of @DerFurer'sFace's map, and the fact that my framerate instantly increases after looking away form it, I am kind of leaning towards 3d floor spam possibly being a culprit for some of the lag, then again I am playing on the original version with clouds.

Edited by therektafire

1 hour ago, therektafire said:

Hm, judging by the first area of @DerFurer'sFace's map, and the fact that my framerate instantly increases after looking away form it, I am kind of leaning towards 3d floor spam possibly being a culprit for some of the lag, then again I am playing on the original version with clouds.

Sadly, i will admit, due to the nature of this map, there are a lot of 3D floors (approx 200 sector tags are in use). i'm sorry if it ruins the frame rate (and quite possibly the map) but its the direction i had went for the map :(

Ah, there's the deadline. I confess I haven't really touched my map since January - kinda don't really like the direction it's going, might scrap the map part of it, reuse the assets I'd made for a simpler take, I dunno - but I'll still see what can be done by March.

12 hours ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

Sadly, i will admit, due to the nature of this map, there are a lot of 3D floors (approx 200 sector tags are in use). i'm sorry if it ruins the frame rate (and quite possibly the map) but its the direction i had went for the map :(

Ho-ho-ho-hold on!! Did you really not join any sectors that have same height? Look at this thing, every single one of the beams was a separate sector! I selected each one and pressed J in 2d view of GZdoom builder to join them into one sector. To make things worse, you even have a those two thicker beams split into two for seemingly no reason. A good rule of thumb is if the sectors use the same 3d floor tags, and if those sectors all have same flat textures and heights, then join them and save a bit of workload from the engine. You could also check my map for this project for an example of using flat portals to create sky beneath, with much less 3d floors.

SdkoFsO.png

Every single one of these beams used to be a seperate sector, I joined them into one without any aesthetic changes.

@94's the best style
thanks for that, that segment in particular was added like a couple days ago so wasn't wholly finished, but i'll try to join all the likewise sectors if it makes things run smoother. Thanks for the tip!

also some segments i wanted to actually be 3d just so projectiles could pass underneath but i can shore it up in other places too.

On 2/6/2018 at 7:15 AM, 94's the best style said:

Ho-ho-ho-hold on!! Did you really not join any sectors that have same height? Look at this thing, every single one of the beams was a separate sector! I selected each one and pressed J in 2d view of GZdoom builder to join them into one sector. To make things worse, you even have a those two thicker beams split into two for seemingly no reason. A good rule of thumb is if the sectors use the same 3d floor tags, and if those sectors all have same flat textures and heights, then join them and save a bit of workload from the engine. You could also check my map for this project for an example of using flat portals to create sky beneath, with much less 3d floors.

SdkoFsO.png

Every single one of these beams used to be a seperate sector, I joined them into one without any aesthetic changes.

Alrighty, i went in and i think I grouped all the 3D sectors i could, cross my fingers and hope it runs better for others.

If the 3d sectors was bogging down the system, by grouping i think i have removed about 95% of the excess sectors.

Baron Zepplin

Map:20

GZDoom

Oof So Imma Have To Drop Out Of This Wad Project. Im Kinda Busy With My School Right Now And All So Yeaaaa...

Still, Whoever Is Submitting A Wad For This, I Wish You Luck And Ill Be Definitely Checking Out This WAD Once Done. Im Sorry About This But Thanks

I'm still working on my map and I plan to have it done in the next two weeks. However, it will be in Boom format. I currently don't have the time to learn UDMF and execute a good map.

The working title of the map is "Charnel House of the Nobles."

On 11.2.2018 at 4:20 AM, Percival232 said:

Oof So Imma Have To Drop Out Of This Wad Project. Im Kinda Busy With My School Right Now And All So Yeaaaa...

Still, Whoever Is Submitting A Wad For This, I Wish You Luck And Ill Be Definitely Checking Out This WAD Once Done. Im Sorry About This But Thanks

It's always good to know your limits and tell others when you just can't cut it. Btw @therektafire it would be great if there was a small easter egg graveyard with the names of all people who failed to make a map, of course we need to wait and see who still is to make their maps.

5 hours ago, 94's the best style said:

Btw @therektafire it would be great if there was a small easter egg graveyard with the names of all people who failed to make a map, of course we need to wait and see who still is to make their maps

Ok I will keep that in mind, I guess I will put it in the hub area somewhere if I can ever start mapping quickly enough to get my own stuff done in time since I don't have much time to map each day :D Speaking of which though I will need pictures/screenshots of the maps to add as preview images so definitely post the pictures of your maps which you think are the best :)

Another progress update on my map, I started mapping the inside of the main base area, I'm trying to go for a more non linear style compared to my other maps but I have a pretty linear mindset when it comes to mapping so it is pretty slow going :/

edit: gave better picture of nukage area since I hit 5mb upload limit on accident and wasnt able to upload all the pictures i took lol

Screenshot_Doom_20180213_182700.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180213_182735.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180213_182756.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180213_182508.png

Should the name of this wad be changed?

The name of this wad is still 4800 Hell Knights. There are 34 people who have expressed interest in making a map. Of those 34, 9 have completed a map, with another 16 confirming that they still plan to make a map for the wad. If we continue the original theme of 150 hell knights per level x number of levels = xx00 hell knights, then if no one else submitted a map than those 9, then the name should be 1800 Hell Knights. If the other 16 committed mappers submitted their maps, then the name would be 3750 Hell Knights. If all 34 mappers contributed, then we would arrive at 5100 Hell Knights. This doesn't even count the fact that most of the maps contain more than 150 hell knights and more monsters beyond that. Which brings me to my question.

Should the name of the wad be changed?

Or is this particular discussion premature and we can settle on a name once we're in the beta testing stage?

14 hours ago, Pegleg said:

The name of this wad is still 4800 Hell Knights. There are 34 people who have expressed interest in making a map. Of those 34, 9 have completed a map, with another 16 confirming that they still plan to make a map for the wad. If we continue the original theme of 150 hell knights per level x number of levels = xx00 hell knights, then if no one else submitted a map than those 9, then the name should be 1800 Hell Knights. If the other 16 committed mappers submitted their maps, then the name would be 3750 Hell Knights. If all 34 mappers contributed, then we would arrive at 5100 Hell Knights. This doesn't even count the fact that most of the maps contain more than 150 hell knights and more monsters beyond that. Which brings me to my question.

Should the name of the wad be changed?

Or is this particular discussion premature and we can settle on a name once we're in the beta testing stage?

Clearly the only way to fix this is to have a map with 48 000 hks.

18 hours ago, Pegleg said:

We can have a map with 4800 HKs as the final map of the wad