Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloxxer23

What the heck happened to Doom Touch/D Touch??

14 hours ago, MrD!zone said:

Well Beloko Might revisit the Duke3D port after delta touch is done.

Dont think so.. as far as I know, not without Gearbox permision. So we are stuck with Dos emulation.

17 hours ago, qweqioweuo123 said:

Dont think so.. as far as I know, not without Gearbox permision. So we are stuck with Dos emulation.

Yeah, that's the one of reasons why HTTKC edition was cancelled.

But the hope wasn't lost yet(Gearbox may still considering about mobile ports), it still possible, but...you know, I don't hold my breathe, considering the DN3D World Tour just flipped, no more patches and then the game was removed from Steam about one or two weeks ago and Gearbox still try to resolve it... :(

Edited by Player Lin

The Duke3D engine source code is GPL, just as Doom's is. The links you cited seem to all have included the actual game data (GRPs, equivalent to Doom's WAD files), so I can't really draw the same conclusion from them.

On 2018/2/8 at 9:21 PM, chungy said:

The Duke3D engine source code is GPL, just as Doom's is. The links you cited seem to all have included the actual game data (GRPs, equivalent to Doom's WAD files), so I can't really draw the same conclusion from them.

Yes, I forgot this part, as the expansions still in copyright hell(Megaton edition considered to illegal too because no one seems know who actually own/responsible for the copyright of Sunstorm Interactive's Duke expansions, thus cannot get proper license) and the contract just invalid so they had canceled it. But as Danfun64 said, the Build engine itself just not GPL but Ken Silverman's own Build license, incompatibile to GPL. Duke3D engine code just released on GPL by 3DR and they got permits from Ken to do so if I'm not mistake.

Even the GZDooM got permits from Ken for a small part of engine code(voxel related?) so it can be fully GPL now.

14 hours ago, Player Lin said:

Duke3D engine code just released on GPL by 3DR and they got permits from Ken to do so if I'm not mistake.

Might be misremembering, but I don't think 3dRealms really asked permission to do anything...they just did it, just like Rebecca Heineman released the 3DO Doom source under the MIT license, despite previous Doom source port releases being more restrictive in one way or another. 

On 8/2/2018 at 1:20 PM, Player Lin said:

Yeah, that's the one of reasons why HTTKC edition was cancelled.

But the hope wasn't lost yet(Gearbox may still considering about mobile ports), it still possible, but...you know, I don't hold my breathe, considering the DN3D World Tour just flipped, no more patches and then the game was removed from Steam about one or two weeks ago and Gearbox still try to resolve it... :(

damn, megaton and now this.. i bought both

sad that duke's IP is in the hands of a bunch of idiots

13 hours ago, Danfun64 said:

Might be misremembering, but I don't think 3dRealms really asked permission to do anything...they just did it, just like Rebecca Heineman released the 3DO Doom source under the MIT license, despite previous Doom source port releases being more restrictive in one way or another. 

Well, I do remember about I did read something about that, but just cannot sure...maybe I'm also misremembering too...

From the source release archive's readme.txt of SPECIAL THANKS section:

Thanks also to Ken Silverman and Jim Dose for allowing us to include some of their source in this build, so we have it all in one archive.

So, I guess it's "some sort of" permission from Ken Silverman, after all, the Duke3D engine still based on his code.

Also, BUILD engine source code released on 2 years and 10 months ago before 3DR released their Duke3D source code.

Edited by Player Lin : added shit, fix the link, no needed to use wayback machine, as legacy pages still vaild, just on other URL..

From what i've read, you could go as far as making a game under GZDoom and get a greenlight on Steam without no copyright surprises as long as you don't use any of the Doom or other copyrighted assets, the problem is GZDoom sucks for multiplayer.

Could you use the Build engine as the base of a new game?

2 hours ago, qweqioweuo123 said:

From what i've read, you could go as far as making a game under GZDoom and get a greenlight on Steam without no copyright surprises as long as you don't use any of the Doom or other copyrighted assets, the problem is GZDoom sucks for multiplayer.

Could you use the Build engine as the base of a new game?

Because Build multiplayer is better than GZDoom multiplayer? For one thing, EDuke32 still requires the "OldMP" branch for working multiplayer, and I don't know how well that is maintained, or more importantly how portable it is.

1 hour ago, Danfun64 said:

Because Build multiplayer is better than GZDoom multiplayer? For one thing, EDuke32 still requires the "OldMP" branch for working multiplayer, and I don't know how well that is maintained, or more importantly how portable it is.

yeah, both are garbage multiplayer wise

I would like to make a brand new game, and use neither engines (I like both) but I would like my game to be playable online

17 hours ago, Danfun64 said:

For one thing, EDuke32 still requires the "OldMP" branch for working multiplayer, and I don't know how well that is maintained, or more importantly how portable it is.

The "OldMP" branch is the temporary because current eduke32 snapshot builds' multiplayer just non-exist, totally broken, and the new one(Client/Server) still WIP, so that branch just for those who wish play Duke3D multiplayer matches with eduke32, it just working fine with some later eduke32 features but still has the same suckage like the original game, just like GZDooM, still is the original DooM multiplayer with some tweaks.

Just use something totally different, maybe better multiplayer supports.

On 12/2/2018 at 0:28 PM, Player Lin said:

The "OldMP" branch is the temporary because current eduke32 snapshot builds' multiplayer just non-exist, totally broken, and the new one(Client/Server) still WIP, so that branch just for those who wish play Duke3D multiplayer matches with eduke32, it just working fine with some later eduke32 features but still has the same suckage like the original game, just like GZDooM, still is the original DooM multiplayer with some tweaks.

Just use something totally different, maybe better multiplayer supports.

unfortunately, i have no idea how to code

i tried unity, just got at an headache, i wouldn't even know how to start, making the 8 angle sprite thing etc, so my only hope was an already existing old school fps engine that i could use and get started doing what i actually enjoy (mapping mostly)

Doom Touch allowed people to access the chocolate doom setup program. I can't find that option in Delta Touch.

21 hours ago, Danfun64 said:

Doom Touch allowed people to access the chocolate doom setup program. I can't find that option in Delta Touch.

I'm adding this back in now, mainly for multiplayer setup and launch.

on the doom rouch version I have, chocolate doom doesn't save options, for example, the screen size setting is not saved, so everytime i boot i have to increase the default screen size.

also i tried some mods like perk's smooth animations for the weapons and when i shoot the sprite disappears. it works fine on gzdoom.

also, do you know any way to program your shotting method into any of the existing dos ports? I would love to play duke on my phone, it works fine on magic dosbox, but it lacks the shotting button that allows you to look around while shotting. this method you have is the best i've seen on any fps:

i would love a solution. if we can get your shotting button method in a dos emulator we could play pretty decently on touchscreens.

5 hours ago, R13 said:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.opentouchgaming.deltatouch is this the real thing? Didn't notice any release announcement in this thread...

Yes that's the right app; it's also the only one called delta touch with tons of Doom stuff on its page. There was an announcement made on the previous page when the testing phase began, but of course thats been burried now in totally off-topic questions about a mobile dosbox app of all things and a duke port. I'm not sure if there has been any official announcement yet on final release or if it's left beta stages yet. Here is the post from beloko which mentioned beta testing:

On 11/20/2017 at 2:21 AM, beloko said:

Hi yeah beta testing open:

24 minutes ago, Fonze said:

Yes that's the right app; it's also the only one called delta touch with tons of Doom stuff on its page. There was an announcement made on the previous page when the testing phase began, but of course thats been burried now in totally off-topic questions about a mobile dosbox app of all things and a duke port. I'm not sure if there has been any official announcement yet on final release or if it's left beta stages yet. Here is the post from beloko which mentioned beta testing:

Hey yeah it was released a few weeks ago, I still haven't done a new post here with details yet - I was going to do it when I have finished the new webpage (http://opentouchgaming.com/wp/delta-touch/delta-touch/) but not had much time lately. As I said in a couple of other threads if you want a promo code just PM me and I'll send one over.

Seems to work fine and look great for me so far, I uave only tried prboom+

But how do i play a demo? I have the iwads and the lmp I want to see inside the Delta folder, the mappack inside Delta/mods. So I have doom2.wad selected and the mappack selected as a mod and I add a custom argument "-playdemo demoname.lmp"

So the final cmdline is -iwad doom2.wad -file mods/mappack.wad -playdemo demoname.lmp

But I get a crash report immediately.

The only thing I can think of would be that you have an older version if delta touch, as the first versions didn't have demo support and crashed on load. You seem to have everything in the right places and set up properly, so I would say you've either found a bug or you are on an older version. Maybe check the app store and see if there's an update? Or try other demos/wads? Idk that's a shitty issue; hopefully you can get it figured out. Demo playback on-the-go is one of the biggest draws of this app to me; it'd kinda suck to hear about it not working for others.

Speaking of demos on delta's prboom+, @beloko itd be very helpful to have the keyboard icon present during demo playback. As it stands, you can access the keyboard only by opening the menu, which leaves no way to close the menu without closing the keyboard first, aside from changing the "exit menu" button from "esc" to something else, however doing so breaks the function of both the phone's "back" key and the app's virtual "back" key. This makes demo controls, such as fast-forward/etc, very inconvenient to use, as it requires switching that key bind in the menu before watching a demo, then back before playing.

6 hours ago, VGA said:

Seems to work fine and look great for me so far, I uave only tried prboom+

But how do i play a demo? I have the iwads and the lmp I want to see inside the Delta folder, the mappack inside Delta/mods. So I have doom2.wad selected and the mappack selected as a mod and I add a custom argument "-playdemo demoname.lmp"

So the final cmdline is -iwad doom2.wad -file mods/mappack.wad -playdemo demoname.lmp

But I get a crash report immediately.

Can you possibly send me the map and demo you're using so I can track down the crash?

5 hours ago, Fonze said:

Speaking of demos on delta's prboom+, @beloko itd be very helpful to have the keyboard icon present during demo playback. As it stands, you can access the keyboard only by opening the menu, which leaves no way to close the menu without closing the keyboard first, aside from changing the "exit menu" button from "esc" to something else, however doing so breaks the function of both the phone's "back" key and the app's virtual "back" key. This makes demo controls, such as fast-forward/etc, very inconvenient to use, as it requires switching that key bind in the menu before watching a demo, then back before playing.

Sure I'll let the keyboard be available on the while demos are being played. I am going to add proper demo support soon - gui to select demo files, and onscreen controls while playing. TBH I don't really play with demos so which buttons would you like to be available while demos are playing?

I was trying to watch Noisy's demo from here:

So I had the demo lpm inside Delta with the doom2.wad. And I had cafebrk1.wad inside /mods. Using prboom+.

After I posted, I copied the wad and lmp over at Doom Touch's folder and managed to watch it fine there.

7 hours ago, beloko said:

Sure I'll let the keyboard be available on the while demos are being played. I am going to add proper demo support soon - gui to select demo files, and onscreen controls while playing. TBH I don't really play with demos so which buttons would you like to be available while demos are playing?

Nice! Honestly a keyboard should be enough, as without multiple keys being able to be bound to the same action, any new touchscreen buttons might interfere with buttons bound from the keyboard. Having them on the keyboard is also nice for playing/testing purposes and on that note I'm not sure that virtual buttons during actual play wouldn't get in the way, but then again perhaps the way you did the gzdoom extra buttons could suffice? Idk. The controls I use most frequently are speed up, slow down, and normal speed, but next level can be very useful as well. Currently I have the controls bound to keys: "O" to slow down, "P" to speed up, and "L" for normal speed. Kinda makes idclip'ing require that extra "L" key press to reset game speed, heh, but gotta compromise somewhere I guess.

5 hours ago, VGA said:

I was trying to watch Noisy's demo from here:

So I had the demo lpm inside Delta with the doom2.wad. And I had cafebrk1.wad inside /mods. Using prboom+.

After I posted, I copied the wad and lmp over at Doom Touch's folder and managed to watch it fine there.

Thanks, now fixed. Issue was unaligned access to a structure, allowed on x86 and not on ARM when using certain instructions which Clang produces. GCC seems to not produce these instructions which is why D-Touch was OK. Hopefully there are not any more but they are difficult to spot until there is a crash.

Seems to be working fine, but I still can't seem to get dynamic lights enabled in gzdoom, same for brightskins (by dynamic lights i mean, imp fireballs having a light, the lamp sprites having a light..etc)

Also, I dont know how to enter numbers with the keyboard... the numbers are above the letters (q w e r t y u i o p)

I need the numbers to do IDCLEV and warp to any level I want

I also would like a button that resets the mouse look and turning sensitivity because i accidentally moved the sliders and i would like the default

Edited by qweqioweuo123

2 hours ago, qweqioweuo123 said:

Also, I dont know how to enter numbers with the keyboard... the numbers are above the letters (q w e r t y u i o p)

I need the numbers to do IDCLEV and warp to any level I want

Keep press the button that has a number until the number is displayed above it.