Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
_42_

Which should I get?

Last time, I used Clickbait. I apologize. Now I have an actual question. Which should I get? 

GZDoom

ZDoom

PRBoom

PRBoom+

Other...

Also, where can I get mods?

Edited by _42_

zdoom/gzdoom/zandronum if you exclusively want to play with mods or in multiplayer (or a zdoom-specific map)

1000000% pr/glboom+ for everything else

Well, for SP, if you have no problem with spending a little time learning how to set up GZDoom to resemble the original Doom more closely and also want something that's pretty customizable, you could go for it. And for MP, Zandronum.

Otherwise PrBoom+ , just make sure you tweak the gamma setting, you probably won't like how high its set by default.

PrBoom+ is a good alternative if you want an overhauled vanilla experience, but GZDoom is my go-to port for pretty much every situation. It gets rid of annoying limitations like infinite height actors, but of course you run the risk of breaking maps. Also, you'll never get a 100% vanilla-like behaviour with GZDoom, even with compatibility settings.

No reason to use ZDoom BTW, it's outdated and you can get software rendering in GZDoom.

1 hour ago, KVELLER said:

No reason to use ZDoom BTW, it's outdated and you can get software rendering in GZDoom.

Lilith only works with ZDoom, I believe. 

3 hours ago, _42_ said:

Are you want play wads(maps,tc) or mods like beautiful doom and such? You can get maps on idgames page(where says downloads). For mods like mentioned one before you need use gzdoom or zandronum. 

1 minute ago, Ajora said:

Yup. That's the only way.

3 hours ago, _42_ said:

I recommend the ZDoom forums or ModDB.

9 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Forgot about that one. Still, it's one of the few cases where ZDoom is the only option.

Well, for starters, GZDoom nowadays comes with a software render as ZDoom (in it's separate executable) has stopped developing, and it also has True-color on software mode. Also, go for PrBoom+, the other one is outdated in terms of features.

For mods, most of them are for (G)ZDoom or Zandronum, but there are a bunch of them for 3DGE. You should check that one out too. 

PrBoom+ is more conservative as it can not run any ZDoom mods. But it's good for making and playing demo files.

You should also check 3DGE, it has a bunch of mods that might interest you.

If you want is a port that will "just launch things", regardless of what map you throw at it (lilith.pk3 being the exception to this rule for good reasons, IMO), GZDoom is what you are looking for.

If you have framerate issues with bigger maps GZDoom, or you want overall more oldschool type of visuals for maps made in boom format, PrBoom+ is what you will need. It comes pre-packed with PrBoom-plus.exe and GLBoom-plus.exe, which are basically the same port, but with different renderers, for lack of a better explanation.

Things like Zandronum or Odamex are for your random and chaotic multiplayer desires. Deathmatch, CTF, Co-op gameplay online and so forth.

Ideally you should play whatever wad/pk3 with the source port it has been designed for, but since that may end up cluttering your folders with metric tons of exes and their respective configs and whatnot when you play older stuff in particular, sticking to GZDoom, PrBoom+, and Zandronum will probably cover most, if not all of your use-cases. Whenever something does not launch in PrBoom+, fire it up with GZDoom, for example. Makes life relatively simple, if you ask me.

Important for GZDoom usage: Always make sure you use the most up to date version.

Possible alternatives to PrBoom+ would be "eternity engine", but as it would appear that port somehow messes with monster behaviour in certain ways, and thus is not recommended for use with maps that actually require PrBoom+'s way of doing things to play the way they should.

GZDoom for the most up to date effects, etc, options

PRBoom+ for the vanilla gameplay feel, but without limits

Chocolate Doom for the very vanilla experience.

Aand just in case Zandronum for the fuck of it. It's an alternative to PRBoom+.

EDIT: Just remembered I got it because I needed to play something in multiplayer.

Edited by pulkmees

3 hours ago, pulkmees said:

Aand just in case Zandronum for the fuck of it. It's an alternative to PRBoom+.

Just wanted to mention, "for the fuck of it", that Zandronum and PrBoom+ are vastly different sourceports, with vastly different "properties", and vast differences in terms of supported map formats. They are not alternatives to one another. They are, technically and gameplay-wise, on almost opposite sides of the spectrum of use cases these days, because these "engines" are plain and simple different in more ways than it might seem on a cursory glance.

* GZDoom for mods

* Zandronum for Multiplayer with mods

* ZDaemon for Multiplayer on regular Classic styled levelpacks.

* PrBoom+ for *yawn* recording demos.

EDIT :

Also Chocolate Doom if you just want to be able to run the game the way it is without Dosbox.

Edited by dmg_64

PSA: gzdoom doesn't perfectly generalize prboom+.  I don't think prboom+ perfectly generalizes vanilla either for some visual effects.

here is a room designed for prboom+ (DMP2016 Map24)

owBqQNh.gif

here is the same room in gzdoom (Boom (strict) comp settings)

JnaZ8qj.gif

The map was not tested with gzdoom because it was designed for vanilla/limit-removing (and submitted as "boom" to fix a door issue instead of fixing for limit-removing)

This particular case is an edge case, but keep it in the back of your mind.  

I'd recommend gzdoom if you had to pick one for general use, even though i personally use prboom+ the most.  Also it doesn't hurt to download a suite of different ports to cover your bases.

I'd recommend:

-gzdoom

-prboom-plus (also hit F11 ingame to toggle gamma because it's too bright, like Agent6 said)

-chocolate doom

and there's the top multiplayer ports, which i don't use:

-zandronum

-zdaemon

-odamex

9 hours ago, Ajora said:

9 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

(lilith.pk3 being the exception to this rule for good reasons, IMO),

Can someone please explain to me what's up with Lilith and why and how it runs on ZDoom but not GZDoom?

Just now, Zulk RS said:

Can someone please explain to me what's up with Lilith and why and how it runs on ZDoom but not GZDoom?

It exploits technical bugs found in ZDoom's architecture that aren't found in GZDoom.

4 hours ago, Ajora said:

It exploits technical bugs found in ZDoom's architecture that aren't found in GZDoom.

It would be more correct to say that it exploits bugs in a specific point version of ZDoom. Bugs that most likely would be fixed if Randi ever did another release of ZDoom. It doesn't work in GZDoom because there the bugs have been fixed.