Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doom keeps me alive

Which monster would you say is your least favorite?

Your least favorite monster?   

97 members have voted

1. 1. Least favorite monster?

• Zombieman
    • Shotgun guy
    • Chaingun guy
    • Imp
    • Pinky demon
    • Spectre
    • Cacodemon
    • Baron of Hell
    • Hell knight
    • Pain elemental
    • Lost soul
    • Arachnotron
    • Arch-vile
    • Mancubus
    • Revenant

As well as many opinions, I think all the monsters are good. They serve different purposes, and they can make unlimited combination of challenges for different maps. If you force me to pick one, I would probably pick Lost Soul.

Although Arch-viles can easily ruin a run by their strange movement or continuous resurrection, but I don't really hate them for some reason.

I hate them all and thats why I kill them!

Probably hate pain elemental the most, but on the other hand, they kind of have the coolest sounds in the game, so it kind of evens it out for me. Lost souls even make an annoying sound, they suck.

1 hour ago, Agent6 said:

But I also mentioned I ultimately chose the Lost Soul, despite the initial difficulty of choosing between the two.

It's too late. In your public and indecisive pondering you have forever smeared the reputation of Pinky. Imagine what it could have done to improve his personality if he'd found out he was the least disliked of them all. Now instead, that honor is bestowed upon a mindless shotgun toting zombie. Oh, the humanity. Unless of course, a true pinky lover comes along and downvotes Shotgun Guy, just to promotoe his or her own agenda.

Pain elemental. They spew Lost Souls directly at you at pretty high speeds. Using a rocket is a bad idea, since it can hit an incoming Lost Soul really close to you and your HP is toasted.

Probably not the Pinky Demon, it just wants to give you a kiss and suck your face. The Archvile on the other hand wants to make you nice and toasty and cook you for dinner.

I'm really surprised that I'm the first person to vote shotgun guy.  You know the only thing worse than fast hitscan damage?  Burst hitscan damage.

11 minutes ago, Cynical said:

I'm really surprised that I'm the first person to vote shotgun guy.  You know the only thing worse than fast hitscan damage?  Burst hitscan damage.

Hate to be that guy, but that's not burst. You're probably thinking of spread.

No, I meant burst damage.  Damage over time is nowhere near as ugly as potential damage all-at-once.  At close ranges, shotgunner traps are more lethal than chaingunner traps.

Archviles and Chaingunners. The former is just... not fun to fight. And the latter is just ugh.

Also Revenants when used in unnecessarily large quantities.

EDIT: Pain Elementals have also earned my ire to a lesser extent.

On 07/02/2018 at 1:29 AM, rdwpa said:

Barons being easy to use poorly is one of those bits of Good Mapping Advice™ dogma that rings most false in my own experience as a player, playing a wide variety of stuff. If I have just a single-shotgun or chaingun I'm not killing them. Absolutely not. Idk, I've played plenty of '90s and '00s wads with stereotypical """Bad Baron Usage""" but it has never gotten my goat, unless they are lining 64-wide hallways or installed in doors with block lines or something. They can be goated into infighting stuff, or you can shoot SSG shots at them while multitasking (hump wall -> boom -> pick up that green armor on the other side of the room -> boom -> trigger lift -> boom -> get on lift -> boom -> lift goes up -> boom). I don't think they are that ba-aaaaa-aad. Behoofs the player to make fun out of them where possible.   

Sorting monsters by how many annoyances they cause, pain elementals have to be up there, but not for reasons most people would have. It's when there's like one or two pain elementals in a fairly spacious area in a conventional (i.e., non-slaughter or non-challenge) map, with several other non-factor monsters tossed in. Okay, I have lots of space, enough ammo that I can just go afk for a minute behind a window and be able to comfortably clean up the soul spam, so what does the mapper expect me to do, panic for no reason? Because omg, PE = priority target!!! Screw that, I'm already falling asleep because this sort of usage is conspicuous harmless clean-up from the very beginning. The worst is when an encounter is nothing but several cacos and a small number of PEs tossed in, again, in an open space, I guess because they look similar. Zzzz. 

Also not a fan of dispersion. Revs and cacos usually cause it the most. RL spam maps, ideals are -> slaughtery, dense . . . yeah, spammy. Fighting loose groups of 3-4 revs in spacious areas? Getting sleepy. Either combine that all into a horde of revs (basically, enough that when there are finally low numbers of revs left, they all are low on HP and can be killed with one or two SSG shots lol, <3 splash damage <3), or Ctrl+F "revenants" -> replace with "archviles". If monsters in an open space are placed such that they resist the concept of splash damage entirely, there's no point. No fun firing rockets at cacos here and there that go flying backwards forever. The plasma rifle is better for all that stuff. Cacoswarms. Love pumping rockets into cacoswarms. This is why I love slaughtermaps; they get this right, and at least a well-tuned slaughtermap relegates its cleanup to the ends of encounters, as opposed to being cleanup from the beginning to the end of every encounter. Yeah, that gets my goat. 

Now I'll think twice before placing a Pain Elemental lol

3 hours ago, Chezza said:

*Looks around*

John Romero.

So Romero is always the correct answer eh?

12 hours ago, Cynical said:

But its oh so satisfying to beat them to the punch. Real sense of danger, real sense of reward.

21 hours ago, Cynical said:

No, I meant burst damage.  Damage over time is nowhere near as ugly as potential damage all-at-once.  At close ranges, shotgunner traps are more lethal than chaingunner traps.

But doesn't burst refer to a few shots in a row? You know, one after another. English isn't my first language, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

10 hours ago, KVELLER said:

But doesn't burst refer to a few shots in a row? You know, one after another. English isn't my first language, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think this article does a decent job at explaining what burst fire mode is.

Edit: As about his description, I think by "burst damage", judging after the continuation, he referred to something like *shot* lots of damage received *another shot* even more damage received, compared to Chaingunners who fire at you without any kind of pause between the shots, but also different from the an actual burst fire mode. More like taking a break of some kind between the shots.

Edited by Agent6

"Burst damage" in videogames generally refers to situations where attacks have a fairly large amount of time between them but do large damage individually.  The railgun in Quake 3, for instance, has high burst damage but low DPS, whereas the Lightning Gun has low burst damage but high DPS.

Hard to say, i absolutely adore them all. That said, ifrom a perspective of having played many users maps, and i'll pick the Revenant simply for how overused they are.

A question to the people that chose the Lost Soul: How come that you think a single Lost Soul is more annoying than a Pain Elemental?

1 hour ago, KVELLER said:

A question to the people that chose the Lost Soul: How come that you think a single Lost Soul is more annoying than a Pain Elemental?

For me, they're pretty tough and can sometimes take me by surprise when I'm not expecting it or not paying attention to my surroundings as much as I should, and are simply an annoyance in general, not exactly the fun type of enemies, even worse when they come in sheer numbers. And don't you dare charge towards me while I'm using the Rocket Launcher or I'll smite thee with the raging fury of a thousand storms.

As for the PE, I can just stunlock it with the Chaingun then take care of the potential LS he might set free upon exploding and call it a day.

Edited by Agent6

The imp is my least favorite. In both the classic Doom games as well as in Doom 3 and 4, I feel there are too many of them in relation to other enemies. A good example is Doom 3. There are so many imps and they just get so boring and dull, and more interesting enemies such as pinky demons and cherubs are much more scarce. How about less imps and more of just about everything else.

I don't like Spectres much at all....only because of their shape. I was disappointed when it was just a transparent pinky, wanted something new you know? Like the Baron and Hell Knight....wish one of them had a different shape. No problems with how they are, just don't really like their copy paste visuals....I know games do this in general but I just wanted a couple more demons instead of....another of those two.