Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
P1NKAC1D

Chainworm Kommando 2 [Demo released / canceled]

[edit]

Unfortunately, I stopped working on CWK2 a while ago, for various reasons. The most important are that I switched to UDMF mapping format (CWK2 was still in Boom format), and I also got really bored of the black & white style... While I think it looks nice, I don't think it will work for a whole WAD...

But not everything is lost, I released a demo with everything I created so far. You can download it at my homepage:

http://chainworm.de

Right now I'm working on something else, but I'm planning to remake some of the maps (and planned maps) from Chainworm Kommando 2 in the next project!

[original post]

Hi there, since november 2017 I'm working on a new WAD, Chainworm Kommando 2 (if you don't know my first project: Chainworm Kommando 1.0)

Here are some facts and features:

• Based on ZDoom/GZDoom
  • Boom mapping format this time (way more advanced than the normal Doom format I used in CWK1, but not as complex as UDMF - I took a look at it but it was far to complicated for me - maybe in the next project)
  • Greyscale art style with some colors here and there (blood, muzzle flashes, some level parts here and there)
  • Arcade style level system: Inspired by games like House of the Dead 2 and Ghost Squad, where you sometimes can choose different paths, every map will have 2 exits, which lead to different other maps. There will be 5 "stages", after which you can start a "new game plus" with new paths to go. For example: Map 01 will lead to 02A or 02B, 02A will lead to 03A or 03B and 02B to 03C or 03D, etc. I think this will give it some replay value.
  • New and modified weapons
  • New and modified enemies
  • A lot of features like bullet casings, blood trails, footsteps, water splashes etc., which will the gameplay world make more interesting and interactive
  • 30+ maps are planned so far with different themes like military, space, fantasy, outdoor like swamps and canyons

That's it for now, don't know what else to write now. I will posts updates if there's something now to show now and then; you also can follow my facebook page for news: https://www.facebook.com/chainworm

Here are also some screenshots from map 01 and the level system:

Spoiler

levelsystem.jpg

Screenshot_Doom_20180211_122908.jpg

Screenshot_Doom_20180211_123144.jpg

Screenshot_Doom_20180211_123207.jpg

Screenshot_Doom_20180211_123232.jpg

Screenshot_Doom_20180211_123304.jpg

Edited by Chainworm666

looks pretty neat :D level system sounds great! I think something like that has been pretty rare in doom

I haven't played the first wad, but this looks beautiful! Doing it mostly in black and white was definitely a good choice.

Thank you all!

News from the test map: Today i coded my first custom weapon ever, a nice flamethrower inspired by the one in Exhumed/Powerslave. Works pretty fine!

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180217_200804.jpg.c652741d3c77d491497abddae7eeff44.jpg

Screenshot_Doom_20180217_200813.jpg.28a3d70bea7de0e02b83166582e1ef28.jpg

I did the /newstuff review for Chainworm Kommando a while back, and can say that I enjoyed it, and it's pretty cool to see a sequel. It looks pretty great so far, and I'll definitely be glad to see an eventual release.

I played through the first one a few times, good stuff.  The idea of branching levels seems awesome, have yet to play a wad like that.  I'm worried about the custom stuff though.  If it's decorate knock yourself out but if it's dehacked I won't be able to play it with mods, so I'll have to skip it.  

3 hours ago, Bryan T said:

I'm worried about the custom stuff though.  If it's decorate knock yourself out but if it's dehacked I won't be able to play it with mods, so I'll have to skip it.  

It's all decorate stuff. Is dehacked even used anymore? Wasn't this something that was used in DOS times when sourceports like ZDoom weren't around?

Dehacked and it's variations is still widely used for automap name replacements, sprite swaps, story screens and such. It didn't go away and it won't go.

Valiant is perfect example for dehacked(or bex, not sure) usage. 

Hey, playing through Chaimworm 1.0, pretty good! Are you working on 2.0 still?

On 12/14/2018 at 10:57 PM, VGA said:

Hey, playing through Chaimworm 1.0, pretty good! Are you working on 2.0 still?

Oh, I totally forgot about this thread...

Thanks, it means a lot to me that people still play and even like my WAD!

Unfortunately, I stopped working on CWK2 a while ago, for various reasons. The most important are that I switched to UDMF mapping format (CWK2 was still in Boom format), and I also got really bored of the black & white style... While I think it looks nice, I don't think it will work for a whole WAD...

But not everything is lost, I released a demo with everything I created so far. You can download it at my homepage:

http://chainworm.de

Right now I'm working on something else, but I'm planning to remake some of the maps (and planned maps) from Chainworm Kommando 2 in the next project!

I called Chainworm 1.0 pretty good because I had not reached that fabulous map later on, the one with the germanic name. I update my rating to "fucking awesome"!!!

I played Chainworm Kommando recently and had a lot of fun with it (and I loved the over-the-top Doomcute sector objects all over the place), so I just wanted to throw in some more support and appreciation here. Looking forward to whatever you're working on next!

I like every little detail you add: pincers, screwdrivers, PDAs, chips etc etc made of sectors; well-known things like vending machines from Duke Nikem 3D, rural elements from Redneck Rampage, Japanese props from Shadow Warrior etc. The levels are very realistic, that kind of maps I like & prefer.

And showcase teaser map offers even more!

This will be on top if/when you will release. I had a lot of fun gunning through the demo, alas there only 4 maps + preview.

Anyway, thx 4 this cool mod!

Edited by Mere_Duke