Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
LilWhiteMouse

Anubis Warrior

Ouch! Pretty damned impressive. Very cool indeed. One of your nicest sprites so far. It would really compliment some of the Egyptian textures that exist.

You setting up a production line or something? Thats about the third graphic replacement in almost as many days.

Yes, very nice.

I'm still using ZDooM v1.23 beta 33, and I guess it doesn't support sprite scaling. Are you talking about the v2.0 betas?

On an unrelated note, it might be a good idea to put a little text file into your zip with your name in there. (This is true of all the sprite wads you've created recently.) That way, a year from now people who've downloaded the file will have a way of knowing who created it. Also, you should probably mention if people may use these sprites in their own wads (after giving you credit).

I've got a work in progress Egypt add-on for Slige, which is what inspired me to do the monster. That lead to a hires scarab beetle & a nest mound, Lewis gun, and who knows what next....

Yes, you need one of the pre-release versions because of the scaling. I got the five-teen version from the link Randy posted on the ZDoom forums.

I intend to re-organize my misc. stuff, so I’ll probably add txt files to them then. I won't bother with the standard form, just a brief description and any pertinent information.

Oooh more Egyptian stuff on the way.

I'm a sucker for all things ancient Egyptian. I have even decorated the living room in my house on an Egyptian theme, including ink drawings on papyrus, hieroglyphs, wall paintings, cat and sphinx statues, a bust of Nefertiti and a few months ago, I got myself a 6' tall video case in the shape of a sarcophagus (sounds tacky, but isn't). Just as well I have a huge living room to house it all.

Egyptian themed doom wads - always welcome.

Enjay said:

...I'm a sucker for all things ancient Egyptian...

Ditto. That's why Stargate was always my favorite movie. (and series too)

Speaking about Egyptian themed levels, I really enjoyed the Egypt hub of Hexen II (although many people liked that hub the least). I also have Serious Sam, which I intend to play one of these days (right after the half dozen other games I've bought but never installed).

ReX said:

Speaking about Egyptian themed levels, I really enjoyed the Egypt hub of Hexen II (although many people liked that hub the least)...

Best hub for me.

That was a fun one, except for one tiny, but aggravating problem, and I think everyone who's played Hexen 2 knows what I'm talking about.

Ichor said:

...except for one tiny, but aggravating problem ...

Namely?

Then you probably haven't run across this little gem yet. When you do, you'll need to muster up all of your patience just to keep from giving up the game for a year or two.

The dreaded floorbutton puzzle. I keep getting confused there, but it's not impossible. You just need a lot of luck. Patience helps too.

I don't remember the puzzle. Either it wasn't that painful or I have a real short memory of pain :)

I did have a walkthrough, so I guess I just used the walkthrough after I realized I couldn't figure it out on my own.

Thanks for the clarification.

I found the egyptian part to be full of distatefully repeated textures, some of them chopped in half as corridors ended and whatnot. Also, the whole game was pretty unoriginal in using all those historical themes. I found the original Hexen much more appealing. I can't really speak about Hexen II's gameplay much, since I didn't have the patience to explore it fully, but it seemed "unwieldy" as if it were designed with multiplayer mode in mind but not single player.

myk - What did you think of that episode I made for Hexen recently?

I also enjoyed the Egyptian Hexen II hub. It came as a nice surprise to find it. I liked the Roman section too. Although I thought it was less immersive.

I thought the Egyptian scenery in Serious Sam looked fantastic. Very believable, in that unbelievable video game sort of way. It's a shame they didn't see it through a bit further though. Despite the whole game being set there, the monsters had no connection whatsoever with ancient Egypt, and could have been from any time or any place. So the logic (what little of it there was) kind of broke down. Some nice Egyptian styled enemies would have iced the cake for me. Instead it seemed like a lost opportunity.

Still Serious Sam wasn't about logic or story was it? It was about doom style gameplay apparently. Pitty they missed the mark on that too IMO. I'll not go off on one about that here though.

The way to beat that puzzle is to follow the pattern seen on a wall in another map (shrine of naos, I think) but when you step on each square, do not do anything else until the square has come back up again. Doing this every time gets you through it.

(personally, I was thinking more of the wheel puzzle as the more annoying one, it's totally illogical - the wheel is supposed to be aligned on both equinoxes at the same, yet different times, but this is not the case - as the hippo constellation is the summer solstice)

While we're on the subject, my favourite hubs are the last two ones.

Ichor said:

myk - What did you think of that episode I made for Hexen recently?

I Haven't tried it. Haven't played hexen in a while...

Ichor said:

You mean that rotating constellation floor puzzle?

Yeah, the one with the staff of ??????. I forgot the name.

BTW, The Egyptian and Blackmarsh hubs were my favs. The other 2 were just too confusing and not fun enough.

Yes, too many puzzles or too difficult puzzles tend to ruin the experience. With HexenII I went in armed with the walkthrough. For any puzzle on which I had to spend more than five minutes I referred to the walkthrough. I know it's cheating, but what can I say? I'm the scum of the earth.

It's the Staff of Nefertum. You get that near the end of the hub. The way I did it was to first set the past wheel to the right constellation, then continue playing like normal. Then when I get the staff, I'd just rotate the present wheel until it activates. Once you figure out the constellation of the past whell, the rest is easy.

It's the past wheel that was the problem, as you have to align it on the summer solstice, even though you're supposed to align it on the equinoxes. (the present wheel was written on the wall so that's ok)

Hmm, the thread seems to of headed into hexen topics....but speaking of egypt, and star-gate......I wanna see a stargate Game. That would rock. Heh.

It seems natural that it's going in that direction, since Hexen 2 has an entire hub with an Egyptian theme, including an Anubis-like mummy that can give you a vicious hotfoot if you're not careful.

I'm aware of the egyptian hub of HexenII, despite having never played the game (Hides behind a stone block), I don't mind that, it's probably what interests me about this thread, except I saw a stargate reference early on, and HAD to comment on that. By all means continue the conversation. ;)

A Stargate game for Doom would be nice, but it doesn't necessarily have to be an Egyptian world at the other end.

If fact, now that I think about it, the original Doom story is somewhat similar to Stargate (the main difference being the type of gates and where they lead).

Another possibility could be a game based on that old Star Trek episode: City on the Edge of Forever.