Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hidfan

Doom Neural Upscale 2X [v 1.0]

Just rename the /TEXTURES folder to /PATCHES. There are a few issues, since you're using PNG's instead of paletted LMP files, so anything with cyan will need to be actually transparent in the PNG. I'm sure a lot of work is left to go as these patches cause texture alignment to go out of sync. STEP1 and STEP2 also have issues where they're replacing the texture despite being intended for FLATs.

Looks pretty cool though!

dbb48a997b1d6882ff16509a2ed767ee.jpg

8 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Just rename the /TEXTURES folder to /PATCHES. There are a few issues, since you're using PNG's instead of paletted LMP files, so anything with cyan will need to be actually transparent in the PNG.

The same would go for LMP files, really, outside of using some editors that make arbitrary assumptions when converting images.

21 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Just rename the /TEXTURES folder to /PATCHES. There are a few issues, since you're using PNG's instead of paletted LMP files, so anything with cyan will need to be actually transparent in the PNG. I'm sure a lot of work is left to go as these patches cause texture alignment to go out of sync. STEP1 and STEP2 also have issues where they're replacing the texture despite being intended for FLATs.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Namespace

As explained here. Flats go in /flats/, patches go in /patches/, and anything in /textures/ is used as an override graphic, meaning it'll have priority on both flats and composite textures.

It would be interesting to see how how/if this could work on sprites. HD sprites is the one thing we haven't really had before.

Thanks for the help DragonFly and Gez :)
Spectre01 : it works pretty well on sprites too :), I wanted to release everything at once, but well, I need the textures to work, finishing this will teach me things that will be usefull when doing sprites .

This looks very interesting! There is a definite "style" to how it extrapolates detail, but things like door texture and the Icon of Sin part look really good. Definitely want to see this in action.

Some of the textures appear larger than they are supposed to but other than that, it looks really good!

Anyway, I was serious about when I said it would work well with Smooth Doom. Upscaled Doom textures combined with upscaled smooth sprites. It would be like an official Doom remaster!

I would like to see a 4x, 8x version too, just out of curiosity. It it does not take too much effort of course.

I renamed /TEXTURES TO /PATCHES and now everything loads but all the replacement textures aren't scaled down, so instead all the walls have the blown-up upper left quadrant of the texture covering the surface. Are there any instructions on how to fix this?

Dragonfly : I re-uploaded transparent textures as transparent pngs without cyan background
DooM_RO : I uploaded some 8k sources here, I'll take look in smoothdoom files to see if I can upscale them at the same time of the original ones. Doom2 minor sprite fixing project seems also to be taken into consideration. what bother me is that it's no longer a Hires override pak but a full mod (actually, as I can't make Hires folder work, it's already no longer a Hires pak lol).

Linguica : I'm still fighting with my files to make this work worrectly, with no success :(.
-I split Flats and Patches, did a flats.txt and a patches.txt. only the scale of flats is working, patches scales are still ignored.
-I tried to understand how the HD-Textures.pk3 works, because it does, ( as opposed to mine :D), and still has crazy filenames different from the ones in doom2.wad. The .txts in that file are just appearing as "readme", the patch/scale informations are hidden somehow.

These are very impressive!  It's the first sprite resizing project in a while that genuinely looks like it maintains the feel of the originals.  They made need a little tweaking, but it's a great start.

This is the HD Zombieguy straight on if anyone's wondering:

POSSA1.png

I don't know why, but I believe someone will try to use this upscaling method for H-Doom sprites. Just saying.

I found that we can have some results even with online converter like waifu2x but only in graphics based on simple shapes and lines like Cacodeamon for example.

murena3.jpg

cyber2.jpg

after some tests : waifu2x is too limited in image size input. doing sprite after sprite will be crazy. it's results are interesting.

Did 

On 07/02/2018 at 9:44 AM, DooM_RO said:

I wonder how the status bar face would look upscaled.

something like this (had to touch up the status bar manually)
rAB0PYm.png

zombieman looks really cool. Are you going to upscale the other enemy sprites as well?

1 minute ago, saski said:

zombieman looks really cool. Are you going to upscale the other enemy sprites as well?

I intend to :)

Do not forget that Romero had an archive released that had a full 8 rotations for the zombieman and shotgunner not that long ago.

Nice work. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME WHEN I LIKED THE DOOMGUY'S HUD FACE (HD remaked).

Next step: force the Neural Network Machine to create a Doom Level. Yeah, we have an Oblidge, but Oblidge is a tool, not an AI.

@hidfan

It looks very cool but I still hope you plan to release pixelated versions of the assets. I think the chunky pixels are a big part of what makes Doom Doom.