Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

May be off topic but not really, but I deleted Rocket League from my PS4 because I was tired of shitty teammates who either didn't play a lick of defense or ones that thought they had to do cheesy, arcobatic jumps for even something simple as clearing the ball out of the zone. Which they would fail to do 75% of the time, leading to a goal against us. Fuck that game and fuck the shitty teammates who play(ed) it. Rant over.

8 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Also been playing Dark Souls... fuck Blighttown!

Ah yes, good ol’ Blighttown. One of the most memorable places in the game, that suffers from hilariously poor optimisation.

But who needs a stable playable frame-rate, amirite?

Been bouncing around.

Steam

Droid Assault - Gave up, got way too try-hard near the end to the point it feels like the game is actively trying to waste my time.

Ultratron - Beat the final boss finally after getting stuck and putting it off for a while.

Wrack - Abandoned, boring and uninspired FPS with cringe characters and dialogue. Sorry Carn. I Tried.

Roundabout - I have no fucking idea what's going on but the FMVs are like watching a trainwreck and I can't look away.

Mega Man - Got up to the Yellow Devil and forgot how much of an absolute CUNT he is on the first game.

Metal Slug X - STONE.

Company of Heroes 2

Day of Infamy

Battle.net

Starcraft Remaster - Going thru the main campaign again with these wonderful updated graphics.

Diablo II: Lord of Destruction - My Barbarian, Beefmeat, is about to finish Act I.

Blighttown is one baaaad neighborhood. I don't have framerate issues in it, though.

For me, the worst is the crystal caves where you fight Seath. God fucking damn that's just evil.

Well, I've been playing Dusk lately. And I like it. I really like it. It's in early access, but most of the game is there. However, it feels like a mod made from Quake, Chasm, and Wolfenstein with some Blood thrown in; and when I know there are $20 or less indie games out there that are absolutely fantastic, I don't know if I should tell people to put their money on Dusk. It's fun, and I don't regret buying it, but I couldn't tell someone else to buy it.

My biggest issue is that the levels are flat, with limited architecture. It captures the gameplay of 90s shooters, but it misses the Quake mark on adding the Z to level making, and that may be a limitation of Unity. It also misses the mark on complex level design, interactivity, and detail that Duke, Shadow Warrior, and Blood had. To me the levels feel more like a cross between Chasm and ROTT; flat, with some flair.

Not to say it's a bad game, I really enjoy it and it was worth the money. I just don't feel like I could convince someone else of that.

The first episode was suppose to be pretty safely designed and same-y, probably to get a feel for the mechanics, but the second episode is suppose to be much more confidently designed. The third episode on the way looks like it's going all out with 90's architectural design and craziness that only makes sense in a final episode. So I'd say paying $20 now and getting the rest for free as it comes is not a bad deal, and it's pretty much just one dude doing most of it (ideas, graphics, coding, mapping), save for Oshry on marketing (fantastic marketing I might add) and Hulshult on the soundtrack.

11 hours ago, arobase said:

For me, the worst is the crystal caves where you fight Seath. God fucking damn that's just evil.

Crystal Caves is brutal on a blind playthrough. The falling snow on the invisible paths helps a lot though. But damn the golems and clams.

I'm thinking if I should try first Fallout, I have it installed in my laptop, but never touched. 

18 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

The first episode was suppose to be pretty safely designed and same-y, probably to get a feel for the mechanics, but the second episode is suppose to be much more confidently designed. The third episode on the way looks like it's going all out with 90's architectural design and craziness that only makes sense in a final episode. So I'd say paying $20 now and getting the rest for free as it comes is not a bad deal, and it's pretty much just one dude doing most of it (ideas, graphics, coding, mapping), save for Oshry on marketing (fantastic marketing I might add) and Hulshult on the soundtrack.

And the fact that it's really made by one guy, plus the music guy, and the marketing guy makes it really fucking impressive. I mean really, I'm impressed by the game. I do love it. But I would still have a hard time telling someone else that they should buy it.

I hope the third episode is very different, and that it adds vertical combat. Some of my fondest memories are from Quake, bouncing around areas from low to high ground and launching grenades at Scrags and dodging Ogres. With Quake, the environments didn't feel static, it felt like all the weird architecture was there for a reason, you could run all over it if you wanted. In Dusk, you're pretty much stuck on the ground dealing with 90 degree walls. 

I don't, however think they should take the entire first episode getting people used to the mechanics. And the entire second episode building up their skills. That should really happen within the first episode. 

Again, it's still fun. Really fucking fun. And for being the project of one person, plus a musician (and the music is fucking fantastic by the way), it's great. But I still can't recommend it blindly. I would recommend it to me, but I doubt I could convince someone who didn't grow up enjoying the *cough* shittier *cough* shooters in the 90s like Chasm and ROTT to buy it.

Re-installed Rocket League back onto my PS4 (because it appears I am a sadist who is asking for more misery). But I'm currently playing Raid Mode from/on Resident Evil Revelations 2 and it's a blast. I love it. Kind of like Mercenaries Mode from R.E. 2/R.E. 3 but more complex.

Got some puzzle games to work with - SpaceChem, TIS-100, English Country Tune, and Snakebird.

I have to say, they're quite excellent...

Also are there any good Boss battles in FPS (apart from Doom 2016)? I can't think of too many shooters with good bosses apart from RE4 and Vanquish, both of which are TPS.

Just completed Dishonored 2's Death of the Outsider expansion; getting ready to try a low chaos run through it next.   Playing Monster Hunter World as well, which is really enjoyable (never played the series before).

57 minutes ago, SGS Man said:

Also are there any good Boss battles in FPS (apart from Doom 2016)? I can't think of too many shooters with good bosses apart from RE4 and Vanquish, both of which are TPS.

Serious Sam TFE and TSE have some fun boss fights, although they aren't anything ground-breaking.

Some Monster Hunter here and there. Might start up a coop file with a friend in Dying Light.

Playing Amnesia the Dark Descent for the first time, spent 8 hours on the game so far, the game loses it's "scare" factor after you reach the Sewer level, the Jumpscare and the random encounters with monsters become a normal thing, the Monsters are so easy to avoid (except for some castle section where you have to do little platforming and stay out of water to not get caught), but the game is filled with puzzles and the first 2 levels are definitely my favorite so far. as you progress the game reveals even more details about the Backstory, Great story and voice acting gotta say.

I've been watching LGR's Let's Play videos on Duke Nukem 3D and felt a need to kick some alien invader ass (or body part analog). Is it just me or is LGR's Duke impression higher-pitched?

Fuck, in no particular order:

• Octabrains, their undodgeable psychic blasts that take half your health and that horrible ear-shattering howl when you shoot them repeatedly.
  • Sentry Drones, their stupidly high health, their propensity to dodge rockets, and kamikaze attacks that don't do that much damage but blind the screen in red regardless.
  • Protozoid Slimers, their general stretchy grossness and popping up on the screen right when I fire the RPG or Devastator.
  • those horrible crushing gear traps in the nuclear disposal facility and the queen's chamber (extend to all crushing traps in general)
  • Protector Drones and their stupid Shrink shots (but at least the Steroids are worth half a damn)
  • bosses with their mostly one-hit-kill weapons and instakill on melee contact.

I also found a mod for EDuke32 called Duke Plus that adds a lot of stuff to improve the Duke 3D experience. Some of the things I liked were:

• Akimbo Pistols. They bring up the lone Pistol out of its switch-shooting, Protozoid Slimer-popping niche into something fairly decent. And really, besides the Devastator you can't have a parody of '80s action heroes without a furious fusillade from a gun in each hand.
  • Freezethrower becomes Freezeray. Now it shoots a precise beam instead of the spiky crystals that could bounce back at you. It also has a secondary fire that launches not-as-bouncy icicles that can shatter frozen enemies. A good alternative to the Expander and more plentiful and available.
  • Holoduke 2: Electric Boogaloo. Enemies will actually approach it and get a nasty shock for their troubles. This upgrade wreaks havoc when placed in the middle of an ambush group, but then of course you need to know when an ambush happens. There's also an option to have the Holoduke summon a Dukebot, but I think it clashes with Duke's one-man-army-ness.
  • NVGs reveal switch solutions. The NVGs never did what it says, but at least you can know what buttons to push.
  • Steroids slowdown. Basically bullet time with the increased kick damage, fast movement and immunity to the Shrinker.
  • Double-jump starts Jetpack. Good for sudden drops and off-the-cuff aerial acrobatics. You can still use the Jetpack manually for steadier airborne maneuvers.
  • Quick Pipebomb. A great quality of life improvement. You can still select the Pipebombs for manually detonated backloaded spike damage goodness, and can throw them farther by holding the fire button. I wish the author had set the secondary fire to use the detonator instead of toggling a timed mode.

5 hours ago, Shanoa said:

Some Monster Hunter here and there. Might start up a coop file with a friend in Dying Light.

Dying Light is fun af solo, so I wonder how awesome it would be co-op; let me know.

15 hours ago, Chewyninja69 said:

Dying Light is fun af solo, so I wonder how awesome it would be co-op; let me know.

Well, if you ever played Dead Island in co-op the experience is similar in Dying Light, it's funner than solo but at least DL is fun solo as well, unlike dead island. For extra danger you can try co-op on Hard mode or Nightmare. The latter is especially dangerous.

I've been playing Doom vfr on ps VR and I gotta say, it's pretty awesome. The cyberdemon fight was more akin to classic Doom. All circle strafing and dodging without the flames and stuff on each side of you. It was better imo. It feels great all together so far. Pretty close to beating already I believe and I've put about 4.5 hours into it as of now. I've been playing mostly with the ds4 controller, but I've used the move wands and as far as controls go I'd say the ds4 is the way to go until I get the aim controller in the mail. Sucks the move wands don't have analog sticks which leaves you with the teleport locomotion which in my opinion is really takes away from the pacing of the fights, though actually aiming the gun with your hands and not your face is much more immersive. The aim controller will take care of that though :)

The best thing about this is the classic maps!!! You can unlock 13 classic Doom maps and play through them like you could in the original Doom 2016, meaning the maps are the same but they used the new models for enemies instead of the original sprites for obvious reasons. But exploring those maps I've been playing for 20+ years in VR really is just such a wonderful experience that I think any Doom fan deserves to have :D

Here's a list of all 13 classic Doom maps for those who might be interested:

Doom - Hangar

Doom - Nuclear Plant

Doom - Toxin Refinery

Doom - Command Control

Doom - Phobos Lab

Doom - Phobos Anomaly

Doom - Halls of the damned

Doom - Tower of Babel

Doom - Slough of Despair

Doom - Pandemonium

Doom - House of Pain

Doom II - Entryway

Doom II - Underhalls

7 hours ago, Shanoa said:

Well, if you ever played Dead Island in co-op the experience is similar in Dying Light, it's funner than solo but at least DL is fun solo as well, unlike dead island. For extra danger you can try co-op on Hard mode or Nightmare. The latter is especially dangerous.

Yeah, I've played and beat and platinumed both Dead Islands on the PS4. And solo does seem to be lacking in those games, which is unfortunate. Nightmare? If it's anything like Doom/Doom 2's Nightmare! then we're all screwed.... lol

I watched an LP of Night in the Woods and... it's.. fucking.. with... my... mind.

I don't really game much these days. Picked up the Avernum 1 - 6 pack on GoG when it went on sale. Playing a bit of the first one right now. The interface/graphics are a bit meh, but it's fun.

Been playing Duke Nukem 3D, time to go medieval on their asses again, I only finished the game once sadly.

Also, if anyone can provide any insight on disabling the forward/backward movement with the mouse in EDuke32 I'd be super grateful, this detestable feature is fucking my mind...

Not sure how it happened, but I've gotten sucked into playing Kid Icarus. I've beaten it before, but I used a password, so in my mind, that doesn't count. It's decent, but slippery platforming and eggplant wizards make it more frustrating than it should be. Seriously, what the hell is up with those bloody eggplant wizards? 

edit: Hmm, that wasn't so bad. The first world is a doozy, but the game gets significantly easier after that. That's that then. 

Edited by Ajora

9 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Been playing Duke Nukem 3D, time to go medieval on their asses again, I only finished the game once sadly.

Also, if anyone can provide any insight on disabling the forward/backward movement with the mouse in EDuke32 I'd be super grateful, this detestable feature is fucking my mind...

Try reducing or disabling the Y axis?

10 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Looking in the menu, the only thing I know of that would make that happen is if under "advanced" in mouse settings, you have digital up or digital down assigned to move forward. So you'll want to look in that advanced menu under mouse settings and make sure it says "-none-" next to those digital directions, so that they aren't assigned to anything such as move forward.

Always gotta rock Duke, I myself am playing a lot of Fortnite Battle Royale this week, fun game.

11 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

Try reducing or disabling the Y axis?

Well reducing the Y axis would be the obvious solution, but it can't be disabled apparently, and for some reason it goes as low as 0.01 only, which still results in backwards movement -__- . It supposedly goes even into negative values, but I don't know how, and I don't see a console variable for it either.

11 hours ago, PsychoGoatee said:

Looking in the menu, the only thing I know of that would make that happen is if under "advanced" in mouse settings, you have digital up or digital down assigned to move forward. So you'll want to look in that advanced menu under mouse settings and make sure it says "-none-" next to those digital directions, so that they aren't assigned to anything such as move forward.

They're all set to none. Might as well just use mouselook until I figure this oddity out.

Alright, I got Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Furi, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, and Godhand.

This is gonna be a great weekend!