Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kdoom

25 years of DooM

18 minutes ago, kdoom said:

25 years folks. This site stands a testament to this glorious game. "DooM will never die" - how many of you remember a crazy guy that used to put that quote in every wad text he released? Anyway I'm glad this site, and this game, still has a following.  Keep DooM alive, it's the grand-daddy of all things FPS, IMHO.

25 years of DooM. You current mappers should go old school, and map some good old vanilla DooM!!

Kurt Kesler

Kurt,is that really you?If it really is,welcome back!

Check out this project ukiro started for doom's 25th anniversary

Damn,a quarter of century,still kicking and screaming...That makes me sound old XD

39 minutes ago, kdoom said:

You current mappers should go old school, and map some good old vanilla DooM!!

Vanilla mapping is still kicking, though Boom kind of dominates among those with a classic bent. Check out No End in Sight, if you haven't come across it yet -- very old school, but still very much its own thing.

Welcome back to the community!

2 hours ago, kdoom said:

Fuck vanilla, it's shit.

2 hours ago, kdoom said:

25 years of DooM. You current mappers should go old school, and map some good old vanilla DooM!!

there's still ambitious vanilla compatible wads out there

for example back to saturn x, doom the way id did (or d2twid as well)

in 2017, no end in sight won a cacoward, and the first 3 episodes of that are vanilla compatible

32 minutes ago, Decay said:

Fuck vanilla, it's shit.

Going to have to agree with this sentiment, given how limited vanilla is and how boring it has become over the years. At least BooM removes all of the limits Vanilla has... Why would I WANT to go back to visplane limits?

Vanilla is overdone at this point, I want to see some good wads done in a more modern mapping format, emphasis on good.

Boom would be fine too except even Boom mappers are overly conservative about what they change.

Just now, Marcaek said:

Vanilla is overdone at this point, I want to see some good wads done in a more modern mapping format, emphasis on good.

Boom would be fine too except even Boom mappers are overly conservative about what they change.

Reminds me a lot of the pretending-to-be-vanilla mentality that occurs on multiplayer PORTS despite advanced features being available.......

Holy shit Kurt Kesler, you made some of the most enjoyable maps, I'm gonna have to go through your WADs again at some point.

hope you dont mind me using a couple wooden KBOOM_11 textures for a level i am working on, lol. 

Wow, always nice to see popular mappers from the olden days showing up again! It's true, Doom will never die, as no one ever truly escapes it's gravitational pull. Maybe we'll see a new map from you? That would rule!

2 hours ago, Argent Agent said:

Reminds me a lot of the pretending-to-be-vanilla mentality that occurs on multiplayer PORTS despite advanced features being available.......

Yah agreed that good wad called super duper fast death match sure could have benefited from some advanced mapping

Welcome back Kurt!
(Pretends to know like hen knows what he is talking about)
When i am 91 Doom will be a century old O:

18 hours ago, kdoom said:

I'm not good at vanilla mapping.
I'm not good at mapping in general.

I keep making attempts though.

It's a problem of mine.

41 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

I'm not good at vanilla mapping.
I'm not good at mapping in general.

I keep making attempts though.

It's a problem of mine.

the only way to get better is to keep going at it, not complain about it on unrelated threads :p

anyway, pretty cool to see Kurt Kesler make a return! KZdooms were some of the first maps I played after the IWADs, kind of a gateway of sorts. 

Long live Doom! :)

There's still a chunk of the community who appreciates vanilla mapping as much as those who enjoy limit-removing stuff or GZDoom fanciness, rest assured you know I'll play it.

17 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Yah agreed that good wad called super duper fast death match sure could have benefited from some advanced mapping

Huh, wonder why Bob decided on Odamex compatibility..... Probably would not have made a difference given that the maps were made in sixty minutes each. At least we got a Chinese bootleg of Greenwar from it.

On 2018/2/13 at 8:26 AM, Ponqo said:

hope you dont mind me using a couple wooden KBOOM_11 textures for a level i am working on, lol. 

I also used some Kurt Kesler textures in the past... Hope he isn't here to get us! :o Anyway, it's great to see him. :)

15 hours ago, kdoom said:

Not gonna lie, I'm shocked anyone here remembers me. Also kind of sad to see people down'ing vanilla doom, but I guess with all the bells and whistles of the ports nowadays, I should not be surprised. I don't know if I could bring myself to making a map, although the thought is enticing. I might be able to pull off a new BooM map, but I have a feeling under todays standards, I would not hit the high marks on the walls around here. I see some really nice maps still being churned out of this community!!

Of course we remember you! I know I do. You were one of my primary sources of inspiration back when I started making maps. I learned a lot of tricks of the trade from playing your maps :) Welcome back, hope you'll stick around for a while!

16 hours ago, kdoom said:

Not gonna lie, I'm shocked anyone here remembers me. Also kind of sad to see people down'ing vanilla doom, but I guess with all the bells and whistles of the ports nowadays, I should not be surprised. I don't know if I could bring myself to making a map, although the thought is enticing. I might be able to pull off a new BooM map, but I have a feeling under todays standards, I would not hit the high marks on the walls around here. I see some really nice maps still being churned out of this community!!

I have had nightmares from playing your maps, they were some of the first wads I played when I started downloading wads. Never thought I should get the chance to thank you for such amazing maps, I love them and they have become the standard that I measure other wads with.

Even if you decide to make maps in a more "primitive" style they will be well received I am sure, just look at how well John Romeros' did - you are definitely on par with him.

Every doom fan loves the oldschool maps because they do so well on their own or with gameplay mods, thereby giving them greater replayability.

17 hours ago, kdoom said:

1. Welcome back!

2. If you do become involved again, your Doom wiki page will have to be updated, since it currently says that you are no longer active in the community.

3. Personally, and I may be in minority, but I prefer mapping for vanilla Doom. Moreover, and I'm sure I'm in the minority here, I prefer mapping with stock textures. That all being said, I can appreciate the things other people say. Sometimes the limits of vanilla Doom can force you to reinterpret your vision to work within its limits. But I still like it.

4. You know who else said he was concerned about not being able to live up to the standards of modern maps? John Romero. (See Part 11 of his playthrough with J.P. Lebreton (@JPL) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUbk98uZjso somewhere toward the end starting at 9:22.) It worked out pretty well for him.

Edited by Pegleg : Corrected time in video.