Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Herzon

Extreme Entryway Alpha 1.0

Here is my first Doom Wad! Its called Extreme Entryway! As you may have found out by the name, it is a EXTREMELY difficult version of Entryway from Doom 2:Hell On Earth! Before you play, I'm gonna lay down some base rules. In the beginning of the map, type in IDFA. And don't open the exit door until you get the yellow keycard! Just don't because I don't know how to make key doors in Slade3. And the thing you've probably been searching for on this topic, the download link. Get it here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/z498seru60706ml/EXTREME ENTRYWAY.wad Feel free to report any bugs! I am currently pretty bad at building. So some help would be nice too!

I bit the bullet and downloaded this. It's just a copy of Entryway with... no actual sector edits i can think of? Just textures, and some different thing placements. 

Not to push any buttons, but I would recommend for your next wad to be original content, not edited IWAD maps. Well, at least if you're going to edit them, go all-out with it. Chris Lutz's Hellscape is a great example of this.

1) You want to make the encounters fair without straight up telling the player to cheat. Even if you give every weapon immediately at the start (Map 30 style), that's infinitely better than "type in IDFA."

2) Unless I missed something, the only way to get to the original start area where the yellow key is is to arch-vile jump. It's generally not a good idea to require arch-vile jumping. 

3) There's also a voodoo doll up there serving no purpose that I can tell.

4) Most of the texture changes seem arbitrary and don't really fit. You've also changed some of the switch textures and the exit textures.

5) Why would I ever want to pick up a pistol? Why would I want to go to a secret area if all I get out of it, after killing a Mastermind, mind you, is the weapon I have an unalienable right to?

6) Assuming you're supposed to start with full ammo, this map is really not that hard at all. It's really too short to have an invulnerability.

7) I recommend you use something other than Slade (e.g. Doom Builder) to do your main mapping and use Slade only for your "metadata."

8) I suggest you give your attention to mapping basics (making solid fights, designing space well, visual detailing, figuring out how to make a door require a key) rather than to bonus features like plasma gun toting marine enemies.

34 minutes ago, bioshockfan90 said:

I bit the bullet and downloaded this. It's just a copy of Entryway with... no actual sector edits i can think of? Just textures, and some different thing placements. 

Not to push any buttons, but I would recommend for your next wad to be original content, not edited IWAD maps. Well, at least if you're going to edit them, go all-out with it. Chris Lutz's Hellscape is a great example of this.

Thanks for the feedback! This was just me trying out my level editor to see what it could do nicely.

Do everything HAK3180 has mentioned. Switch to Doom Builder 2 instead of Slade. Go on YouTube and look up DB2 tutorials (there are a bunch). It's cool that you're messing around with editing - making Doom content is fun :)

2) Unless I missed something, the only way to get to the original start area where the yellow key is is to arch-vile jump. It's generally not a good idea to require arch-vile jumping. 

You're def supposed to just jump up there.

3) There's also a voodoo doll up there serving no purpose that I can tell.

It's the original player 1 spawn, it wasn't removed.

Note: YT is taking forever to process this as 1080p60 but honestly 360p sorta fits..

@xvertigoxAh, yes. See, I literally never jump so I rarely even think about it, especially in a map that looks exactly like something from the mid 90s.

So yes, gotta mention that jump is required if jump is required. 

17 hours ago, Herzon said:

Here is my first Doom Wad! ... I am currently pretty bad at building. So some help would be nice too!

Welcome to mapping for Doom! Don't worry about being "bad" at mapping. No one starts out good, they just keep working at it until they get better and they don't get discouraged. The bottom line is: keep it up, good luck, and have fun.

You described this as the alpha release, which implies there will be a beta release. So, this link is for the future, whenever you get to releasing that beta or whatever your next release is.