Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spyroexe

Gzdoom Builder UDMF: Things Not Found in MAP01

Question

So in the past I've been making my maps with the GZDOOM: Doom 2 game configuration and I've realized my options for mapping are very limited so I decided to switch to the UDMF format. I add the Doom 2 wad as a resource and I start making my map. It's very basic: Spartan texture, long corridor, player start. I go to test it out and GZDOOM tells me: "'THINGS' not found in MAP01" even though I have things on the map. I even added enemies and weapons to make sure I did (sounds stupid, I know). What am I missing here? Am I supposed to use the UDMF converter or something?

8 answers to this question

THINGS most likely refers to the THINGS lump that comes right after the MAPxx/ExMY header in Doom and Hexen format. This lump doesn't exist in UDMF, there should just be a TEXTMAP lump after the map header. When I try to run a map that has no valid lumps GZDoom just tells me that it couldn't find the map. Maybe you're using a GZDoom version so ancient that it doesn't support UDMF?

You can't just switch map formats like that. The thing/linedef/sector definitions are completely different between formats. If you change your format, the best idea is to simply start all over again completely from scratch. Trying to convert a Doom 2 map to UDMF is too much hassle to be worth it. Not to mention that your map won't be as good because portions of it were made in Doom 2 format without taking any advantage of UDMF's features.

11 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

You can't just switch map formats like that. The thing/linedef/sector definitions are completely different between formats. If you change your format, the best idea is to simply start all over again completely from scratch. Trying to convert a Doom 2 map to UDMF is too much hassle to be worth it. Not to mention that your map won't be as good because portions of it were made in Doom 2 format without taking any advantage of UDMF's features.

I AM starting from scratch, though. I make a brand new map and it tells me I can't run it.

7 hours ago, Spyroexe said:

I AM starting from scratch, though. I make a brand new map and it tells me I can't run it.

Which map editor are you using?

Could you upload the map for analysis?

On 2/16/2018 at 10:04 AM, hardcore_gamer said:

Not to mention that your map won't be as good because portions of it were made in Doom 2 format without taking any advantage of UDMF's features.

Ummm.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................

On 2/15/2018 at 8:28 PM, Spyroexe said:

It's very basic: Spartan texture, long corridor, player start.

Never mind all the levels that statement is wrong on, I just wanna know: do you read?

54 minutes ago, Spyroexe said:

Sorry, guys.

Turns out I was using an outdated ver. of GZDOOM lol.

Nice; if you want you can mark the question as answered and select boris's post as the correct one. 

I do feel the need to note, just in case it was misunderstood, that my previous post was not directed at you at all. I wish you success and hope you have fun building Doom maps :)