Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
THMG

Why do you use the editors that you use?

Started off with - 1997 - 2006

• Wadauthor 
  • Wintex
  • XWE (around 2000)
  • Goldwave (Still use)

2006 onwards -

• Slade
  • Slade3
  • Doom font writer
  • Pixel Painter

4 minutes ago, Memfis said:

What is cool about dbx? Haven't had the chance to experiment with it yet.

heh, there's not too much to sell beyond what I quickly mentioned. Basically it's just the perfect editor for someone who wants a slightly better db2 without all the new gizmos and quirky subtle behavioral changes in gzdb. It's a strange niche that I didn't expect to be filled, but am quite happy it came along ;D. By snappier I mean the normal operations are just quicker all around, windows pop up with less lag, moving around 3d mode seems a little quicker. By more stable I mean less seemingly random crashes. I'm particularly impressed by how well it handles undo-spamming and tolerating very "mean" sector drawing (e.g. lots of awkwardly overlapping lines, or drawing over top of complicated areas with lots of merged geometry). plus, @anotak is a responsive dev, bugs get quashed pretty quickly, seems open to various feature suggestions.

On 1/12/2018 at 2:17 AM, yakfak said:

cool :3 how's yer music sounding?

some friends of mine did a little work on forking and updating screamtracker so im tempted to learn that

screamtracker was used for a bunch of old epic megagames music iirc

Well recently I started working on a crappy metal-ish remix of The Imp's Song which I was going to use in my 4800 hell knights map but I think I am going to stop working on that and make a new one, it doesn't sound all that great and doesn't really fit the theme of the map either (i am making a nighttime techbase/military base themed map so I want something kind of dark and suspenseful yet kind of upbeat as well)

I still use Doom Builder 1.68 and XWE 1.16. :)

I have tried DB2/GZDB, but it felt quite different to me, and it's almost like I would have to learn a new editing tool at this point, so better stick with my comfortable set of tools!

Way back then in the days I used DoomCAD, DEU, HEU, and DEUTEX. Plus Paintbrush for texture edits.

When I rediscovered Doom it was SLumpEd and Doom Builder. Then DB2, SLADE 3, GZDB, and finally GZDB-BF. I try to use mostly SLADE's map editor now, though. Image edits with GIMP.

mapping: doom builder, it's the only program i'm good at

WAD editing: slade3.

SFX: audacity

GFX: a mix of ms paint, sony vegas and blender

midi: a mix of FL studio and anvil studio

Doom Builder 2

Tried SLADE but it causes a BSOD. So, until I get a new laptop, DB2 is my best option.

To put PWADs together use WAD Mangle. Basically I try every tool until finding one that works.

I used to be a Doom Builder user but then moved to GZDoom Builder (currently using the bugfix version) as I wanted to take advantage of GZDoom's extra capabilities and GZDoom Builder is tailored towards that.  I used to use XWE for lump editing but then switched to SLADE (never got into SLADE's map editor though).  For music I use FL Studio these days with various plugins mainly from Native Instruments.

SLADE3 because awesome lump editing, sometimes even a wad midi player.
GZDoombuilder-bugfix because it shows real sky and thing sprites in 2D.
Endoomer for create ENDOOM graphics. This is ancient software but I still not found modern alternatives.
WadSpy can show ammo/monster rate and some other info which can be helpful. Oops that's is not editor, but anyways.

Just now, hardcore_gamer said:

Out of curiosity, what are these bugs for Gzdoom builder that people are talking about? Is it anything I should be worried about?

Well I tried one version that always shows the windows "please, update", but if you hit update, nothing happens. 

Some other version doesn't bother me with it, but the mouclick sometimes does nothing and it's very annoying when you do some very complex thing.

Probably I used some bad version because I noticed some "newer fork" mentioned in some other topic here.

1 hour ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Out of curiosity, what are these bugs for Gzdoom builder that people are talking about? Is it anything I should be worried about?

The only thing I can think of is GZDB-BugFix does crash just frequently enough that it's worth being pretty vigilant saving your work. It's by no means a super frequent thing, but it's not uncommon on mapping Discord servers to see people ask "GZDB crashed, how can I get my work back?".

I'm just getting back into wad making, and I just use Slade 3, and Zandronum to test, mainly because all the maps I'm making are deathmatch maps. 

On 1/17/2018 at 7:06 AM, Bauul said:

The only thing I can think of is GZDB-BugFix does crash just frequently enough that it's worth being pretty vigilant saving your work. It's by no means a super frequent thing, but it's not uncommon on mapping Discord servers to see people ask "GZDB crashed, how can I get my work back?".

While some crashes may be due to the hardware present in ones computer, the overwhelming reason for a crash is most likely that the user  just downloaded GZDBBF, GZDB, DB2 or DBX2 and thinks that that is it. Not so. Those editors also depend greatly on additional Required Software

2 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

the overwhelming reason for a crash is most likely that the user  just downloaded GZDBBF, GZDB, DB2 or DBX2 and thinks that that is it. Not so. Those editors also depend greatly on additional Required Software

I've just got GZDBBF, you mean there's other software you can download that improves stability?  Aside from DX9 and .net obviously, but you can't even start GZDBBF without them.

GZDooM Builder was it has crashed on me a few time when I enter GZVisual-Mode, will forever have a place in my heart. Not only is it based of DooM Builder 2, but it also was one of the most friendliest layouts ever. Not to mention the ZDooM Wiki has TONS of information for the scripting aspect! Oh and it also allows me to use 3D Models or 3D floors! :3

SLADE-3 since its the only wad editor that actually makes sense when I use it... That and it has a lovely interface.

On 23/01/2018 at 10:05 PM, Kappes Buur said:

While some crashes may be due to the hardware present in ones computer, the overwhelming reason for a crash is most likely that the user  just downloaded GZDBBF, GZDB, DB2 or DBX2 and thinks that that is it. Not so. Those editors also depend greatly on additional Required Software

I wasn't aware other software was needed. Just downloaded DB2 and ran it and it worked.

OP question

Because those are the tools that I have to make the map and edit it as many times as I want. Simple enough.

So...

I use Paint.net for editing/creating sprites because is really easy to use and surprinsingly powerful if you have some knowledge of what you are doing , also it supports plugins so , there's a lot of useful features there.

I use Audacity for editing audio , because again is easy to use. And Replay Media Catcher to record audio from the computer.

Slade 3 because is like the Doom Editor that you should use because of how useful it is for creating wads and pk3's.

I don't use Magica Voxel or Voxel Shop , fu** that. Instead for voxels I prefer to use Strip2Voxel and adjust and convert them to ".kvx" with Slab6 because both of these programs have a clean interface and they are easy to use.... Unlike MV and VS.

And sometimes if I need to rip something from a video I use Blender to separate the video in photograms and rip what I need.

Oh yeah, and GZDoom Builder.