Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Decay

Speed Session: Impromptu DM

With some crazy Doomshack Plays sessions, we've come across some incredibly awful dm maps that people have raved about for several years. Boxes within boxes, shoot'em up barn yards, sprawling layouts where nobody can be found, the worst possible dm layouts you can think of are all there.

So, let's see what we can contribute to the heap in a weekend. Starting now until Sunday morning EST, let's make some DM maps. Sunday mid-day I will compile the wad, and sunday night we will play them. Must be compatible with Odamex, Zdaemon and Zandronum. Doom2 format, Boom format, zdoom doom in hexen format all good, i encourage the use of bridge things.

Your resources are: Ancient Aliens resources and Doom2 resources, use this wad: https://www.sendspace.com/file/fkfwdc

It took VGP 9 months to create this, let's see if we can do better in approx 36 hours :)

Discord: https://discord.gg/gsVSHGK

EDIT It's done, congrats we finally did it

https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=impromptu1.wad

Credits file in the wad

Screenshots here:

WBfsubP.png

sXgfE1Q.png

8VS4lTq.png

Rz9FNkg.png

OBYcnFy.png

VmqiInr.png

Edited by Decay

Coming in from VGP, should make a couple notes;
1) You're running it in software mode, which ruins some of the levels. (And tbh you shouldn't be running it in software mode anymore if you can avoid it anyway)
2) You're using a REAAAALLLLYYY OLD tech demo that basically is completely unlike the finished project
3) Hope you do know the whole team (Save for LadySlash) is new to mapping. 
And lastly; Good luck have fun.

1) Software or hardware having really dense fog in a DM map isn't going to make you any fans.

2) Do you have a more recent link for comparison?

3) Isn't really an excuse though. If you're new to mapping you should expect to hear your maps are bad, rarely does a newbie make a good DM map without some kind of prior experience. Whether or not your feedback was shitty doesn't invalidate this, if you are looking for better feedback just ask multiple people, preferably those with some DM experience behind them.

Wish I could take part in this :( but this sounds like an awesome idea and I hope people have fun with it and maybe learn stuff about things.

1) That was removed. That's what I was saying. The map got pushed to the Git unfinished. Decay took it and instantly went nuts and claimed it was the final product. Which was not the case. And should have been VERY obvious by the filename SAYING "TechDemo"

2) Server is up on Zandro, always the up to date git build is used. Name is "[VGP][DEV] VGPDM Beta 1.1" currently

3) Never said it was an excuse, it was an explanation as to why they're not the best. Also we play DM all the time so we do have some DM experience.

EDIT: This was in reply to @Marcaek

8 hours ago, loismustdie555 said:

1) That was removed. That's what I was saying. The map got pushed to the Git unfinished. Decay took it and instantly went nuts and claimed it was the final product. Which was not the case. And should have been VERY obvious by the filename SAYING "TechDemo"

2) Server is up on Zandro, always the up to date git build is used. Name is "[VGP][DEV] VGPDM Beta 1.1" currently

3) Never said it was an excuse, it was an explanation as to why they're not the best. Also we play DM all the time so we do have some DM experience.

EDIT: This was in reply to @Marcaek

I didn't claim anything was your final product, I simply echoed the fact it took 9 months to create trash and got the maps from the very link your leader posted here. That's a lot of wasted time and effort. Both Dranzer and Razgriz made better maps for their first attempts at mapping for Aeon and Dbab. Also, not understanding software is still widely used among pvp players is beyond laughable.

ANYWAY shut up and make speed maps. Prove me wrong that you can do better. I've got a layout already done, what have you done?????????

LPT: next time when you want to upload something it would be great to use something other than Sendspace, you apparently have to make an account there before you can even download anything, and I would prefer to not do that

You accursed temptor.  Today is already ASS day!

Better bust out the mapping power for both then. So long as the map is better than 2dmmaps you're good to go. Like 30 minutes of effort

12 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Fmm75dB.png

imodium.zip

Made this garbage in a hour, more than less. Not even sure if this is a fun layout.

It's definitely not bad, just needs some tweaks. The hallway entrances are very tight, should aim to be at a minimum 128 units wide, average 160. Change the indoor chaingun starts to shotgun because the CG is not too useful in the inside of this map, put it to the side so the player can choose. Axe the invis because why would you put this in. Add a few more stimpacks and some ammo/shells and it's good to try!

close enoughimpromptuDM_noisy.wad

formot: Boom

testing: i played it in prboom+ and have no idea how deathmatch goes so here have fun.

other notes: maybe i'll single-player-ify the map later or use it as a base.

i put 8 deathmatch starts, 4 of them are literally adjacent to eachother; there's some weapons; no ammo cuz i don't know how ammo works; i don't know how health pickups work either;

the "bfg" switch functions but doesn't give any sound/texture-change indicator... not sure why.

i'm submitting as is.  have fun, Decay, this is what you asked for.

94BxcbX.png

11 hours ago, Decay said:

It's definitely not bad, just needs some tweaks. The hallway entrances are very tight, should aim to be at a minimum 128 units wide, average 160. Change the indoor chaingun starts to shotgun because the CG is not too useful in the inside of this map, put it to the side so the player can choose. Axe the invis because why would you put this in. Add a few more stimpacks and some ammo/shells and it's good to try!

Thanks for the feedback, i'll fix it this evening...

2 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

i'm submitting as is.  have fun, Decay, this is what you asked for.

The map layout itself is actually good for the most part, I like it and think it would be a fun DM map if you added a way up the structure (if there is it isn't immediately obvious). HOWEVER your thing placement is horrific and makes the map awful to play. With the running from ledge to ledge from the top of the structure you could have some interesting bfg placement. Get rid of the megasphere and the radsuit. Axe the inescapable pits, just raise them up so they are 24 units down (walk out height) and remove the bfgs (better placement). Put all the spawns on a weapon never on health (wtf?) and space them out (definitely no more than 8 spawns). Add a little bit of ground for the plasma, it's not useful enough to warrant taking tons of damage for it, and get rid of a bunch of the medikits and place some stimpacks around instead. Move the green armour or soulsphere to the east part of the map, they shouldn't be so close together. Whip out these edits and it'll be a great map I think actually!

On 2/16/2018 at 10:05 PM, Decay said:

Sunday mid-day I will compile the wad

when exactly would you say mid-day is friend

edit: thank frickin goodness

Edited by bonnie

1 hour ago, bonnie said:

name: "death toll"

Mmmmm... Clearly someone has taken inspiration from Left 4 Dead 2. 

Hi "The Drains" aka the second chapter in the campaign "Death Toll".