Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Doomed in SPACE: Now on idgames!

Hopefully you'll have fun with it. If you find any bugs or just have any comments in general I'd love to hear them.

A very fresh doom experience, slightly tongue and cheek, good retro vibe and very awesome to play.

The battles are excellent, projectiles are flying everywhere which just adds to the carnage. The mapping is nice, none of the levels are overly long winded, with perhaps the exception of the last map.... but that is just something else and it finishes the set nicely.

I couldn't recommend this wad more, had a lot of fun playing it!   

Congrats on the release... and I hope I'm not going to ruin the mood too much.

Seems like the plasma trooper doesn't work as expected in current GZDoom (3.2.5). See video here.
In case there's going to be an update it would be nice to also add coop starts to MAP10 and MAP11 which currently don't have them.

Thanks very much, KD. Since it works in every other port as intended I'll assume this is a GZDoom bug for now, but I'll take a look and see if there's some way around this.

I had a feeling a patch would be necessary. I appreciate the comments, it certainly helps!

Unfortunately, as I suspected, this appears to be a GZDoom bug. The plasma trooper enemy's attack should simply spawn an imp fireball (reskinned as a yellow plasma ball) but for unknown reasons it's calling a totally unrelated set of sprites, for whatever reason it happens to be the lost soul's death frames. I'm racking my brain trying to think of a potential solution but as it works in every other intended port, I'm really not sure what to do - this is the first time I've ever run across an enemy attack pointer summoning the wrong projectile altogether. Normally I'd assumed I just goofed up, but I don't think that's the case given it working correctly in most ports.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. For the time being, for the intended experience, use Zandronum. Hopefully I can find some fix for this issue.

EDIT: Just tested in GZDoom version 3.2.4, everything works as it should! There will still be a patch adding multiplayer starts to map10 and map11 (d'oh) and fixing a small HOM that I've found, but I'll sit on it for a week to see if any more bug reports come in.

Edited by Doomkid

Well this was great!I really love the theme,it's like an old obscure Doom-clone but this actually looks good and plays well.There is not a lot of detail but the good texture use makes up for it,i expecially like the use of silver textures giving it a 94 techbase map feel.Though the only thing i have a problem with is the large roster of monsters that shoot a projectile at you in a straight line but the cool flamethrower guy makes up for it :D

Nice TC! Weapons and enemies are well made, enjoying it so far. My only issue is that there's very few shotgun shells.

I like the way the Lost Souls work. You can't simply pistol or punch them to death, so you're forced to battle them in a different way.

Played the first two levels thus far; admittedly it's pretty well done, maps, weapons and enemies design are perfect in giving a semi-Star Wars feeling. Plus the music is experimental, but catchy ^^. Gonna play more soon ;)

18 hours ago, SOSU said:

it's like an old obscure Doom-clone but this actually looks good and plays well.

So glad this is the vibe it gives off! That is exactly what I was going for, I had visions of fun old Doom clones in mind as I compiled the various graphics and such together.

Thanks to everyone so far for the comments, that's the stuff I live for as a mapper.

Just finished it. This is fun to blast through, has a nice retro feel. I think it reminds me of Tyrian more than anything, in terms of the tone of the story and such.

I don't remember seeing any bugs*, but I noticed the textfile doesn't include the full maplist (i.e., who made what) or the list of music used. Are you planning to add those?

*(edit: aside from the Skree)

That was a total oversight, thanks very much for mentioning it Not Jabba. Do you remember any of the bugs on the  Skree in particular?

3 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

That was a total oversight, thanks very much for mentioning it Not Jabba. Do you remember any of the bugs on the  Skree in particular?

Haha, no, I was just referring to the shape of the level! I didn't notice any gameplay/progression issues.

This feels like a good combination of classic doom, wolfendoom (Astrostein, for more precisely, thanks to those human soldiers), and a Sci-Fi movie with aliens. I'm enjoying this one so far, and the only problem I had is that it took me a little bit while to figure out the slot of the railgun. Maybe you can add an additional line to the text, like "You got the railgun (slot 1)", or a simple explanation in the text file. Congratulations on the release! :)

Spoiler

9a46b24fe5.png

Also found a small typo there.

LOL Not Jabba, joke went directly over my head.. D'oh!

antares031, thanks so much for catching that, and good suggestion with the Railgun.

This is great, it feels like a 90s TC (with better level design, obviously) played a little last night on medium and got stuck on map06.

Music names for the tracks that this wad uses? I remember Map04 using passport.mid.

Anyways, nice mapset that will be memorable. It looks difficult for me through.

Especially first intermission music.

Edited by Cacodemon345

If you do find it too difficult, the easier skills were thoroughly implemented in a way that should still be just as fun. I'll also be releasing a bugfix and new text with additional credits where due in the next few days!

Map 04 is really giving me motion sickness because of the sheer darkness :/,and its quite annoying to play because of it too

But mapset is solid so far!

Hmmm... Maybe a secret or two with lite-amp goggles is necessary for that map. I'll consider it for the patch, a few others have mentioned the darkness in that map as well.

Haven't played anymore of it, as of now, but I'll get back in soon. I just wanted to mention how much I like the enemy variety. I feel like I'm seeing a greater number of enemies than I'm used to early in a mapset. And while some of the sprite edits are a little standoffish, I think it adds to the charm.

Hey, I really enjoyed this mapset - good fast-paced fun with some fun space weaponry and atmosphere. Well done everyone who worked on this project!

One thing that threw me off was linedef 14496 on MAP12 - was that switch supposed to do anything or was it intended this way? Just wanted to ask about it.

An important fix is needed for Pinchy's map: on lower difficulty settings, the teleport trap that leads into the conveyor belt with the crushers does not work. You teleport into the room, but cannot get back out.