Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DynamiteKaitorn

3D Models and texturing

Since I'm going to be using 3D models more in my newest mod, I need help (or at least any tips) when it comes to texturing models. When I tried applying textures in the past, it has been a heavy chore trying to figure out why a model that looks good in Blender has some texture's rotated at a weird angle when converted through MD3. Literally any tip for 3D modelling and/or texturing of models is always appreciated :)

Here's a good tutorial that covers some of the essential basics of UV Mapping, and how you can get your texture aligned well with your model edges ... etc

If you are using ripped models or free models, you are going to need a few tools:

Noesis - for converting models

Blender - for import/export and editing

Nash's .MD3 Exporter for GZDoom - for Blender

What I do is I go into File, User Preferences in Blender, then Import/Export, and I check all the file types I want to be able to manage. Typically .obj and .fbx as well as .md3. In the chance you absolutely need to convert a model to a different format, Noesis almost always does the trick.

Now, you can import your object into Blender. Almost 100% of the time, ripped/free models have textures already. However, if they look weird, you can always adjust the UV mapping Offset and Size if it's only a minor inconsistency:

8CqKFs6.png

Typically though, bad textures are usually the result of a poor conversion. If you stick with .obj, .fbx, and even .3ds files, you can simply import them into Blender and export with Nash's exporter and it will always work.

If that doesn't help, or you are having trouble texturing your own model, then you're going to have to learn how to UV map models so you can bake the texture in properly. dmg_64 gave you a very good video to UV Mapping. Good luck.

On 14/01/2018 at 5:24 PM, dmg_64 said:

Here's a good tutorial that covers some of the essential basics of UV Mapping, and how you can get your texture aligned well with your model edges ... etc

This is literally just a tutorial on how to UV wrap a model... I already know this ._.

EDIT: Turns out this somehow fixed my issue................... Idon'tgetit

Edited by DynamiteKaitorn