Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Herzon

Extreme Entryway Alpha 1.1

Well, the last version of extreme entryway wasn't good. The textures made the map kind of ugly, it was just unfair, not difficult, and it wasn't fun. But, I have made alot of improvements to that map, and I plan to add to this in the future! The map here is gonna be part of a mega wad called:EXTREME DOOM 2. And this is gonna be MAP01 of that mega wad! Hopefully you enjoy this extreme wad, and before you say "it probably isn't extreme" you'll regret saying that right when you start playing. And here is the download link! Enjoy! http://www.mediafire.com/file/2cnn8q5am1ejcix/extremedoom2v1.wad And some screen shots!

Screenshot_Doom_20180220_170313.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180220_170358.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180220_170403.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180220_165256.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180220_170244.png

Edited by Herzon

Keep in mind that screenshots are what entice people to check your maps out.

I'm not sure screenshots are necessary, considering that it appears to be an entirely copy-pasted (down to almost-identical thing placement, only some things have been changed and added) Doom 2 MAP01 with more monsters? That includes seven cyberdemons outside where the chainsaw would normally be.

My question is: Why? I'm not sure I see the point of this.

Just now, AD_79 said:

I'm not sure screenshots are necessary, considering that it appears to be an entirely copy-pasted (down to almost-identical thing placement, only some things have been changed and added) Doom 2 MAP01 with more monsters? That includes seven cyberdemons outside where the chainsaw would normally be.

My question is: Why? I'm not sure I see the point of this.

It is only my second level. Plus I'm literally working on it right now, and a new build will probably come out this friday, with this map improved, and Underhalls, The Gantlet, The Focus, and The Waste Tunnels all made EXTREME!

Alpha version 1.1 of Extreme Entryway. v1.0 can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsu1vDF07KM

Herzon says this is his second map. It is not. This is not a new map. You took map01 and threw a bunch of EXTREME monsters in there with seemingly no logic. This is fine for fucking around with by yourself but do not release this as "map" for people to play. The map01 level geometry is exactly the same, only more monsters have been added.

You need to make your own maps. Mess around with the editor and make silly stuff like this but don't release it.

It is only my second level. Plus I'm literally working on it right now, and a new build will probably come out this friday, with this map improved, and Underhalls, The Gantlet, The Focus, and The Waste Tunnels all made EXTREME!

This makes me think this is a troll. If this is a troll make better jokewads, if not, make your own maps. I'm pretty sure this is just a troll.

I'm just going to be blunt. Please do not "remake" Maps 02-05. This is not good. I feel you need to create something from scratch to understand what makes a map good. 

Literally anyone can open Entryway in Doom Builder and add tough monsters and change the weapon distribution. It's not only extremely lacking in creativity, but this particular way it's done shows, I'm afraid, a lack of skill in mapping.

Just make a small map from scratch. You can make it "extreme" if you want, but you'll become a much better mapper by creating than by this. Plus, the feedback you'll get will be 10x better because it will be all your ideas, rather than simply placing your ideas on a well established 25-year-old map.

If you're really sold on the whole remake idea, and again, I recommend against it, I would still suggest you modify geometry and texture significantly so that your maps are not carbon copies of iwad material, but rather reminiscent of/nods to those maps.

8 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

If you're really sold on the whole remake idea, and again, I recommend against it, I would still suggest you modify geometry and texture significantly so that your maps are not carbon copies of iwad material, but rather reminiscent of/nods to those maps.

I agree that you should make your own material. From your version 1.0 of this map, you've shown you know how to change textures. Changing the textures of a map would be useful for you to get an idea of what works with what, pegging and unpegging textures, alignment, etc. However, to really get something out of using the iwad levels as a base, you need to change the geometry. That will also teach you about how you can do different things with triggers, walkover lines, switches, teleporters, monster ambushes, sound propagation, monster placement, etc.

The bottom line is, you should focus on making your own material, but if you want to use the iwad levels as inspiration, one of the worst things you could do would be to only change and add monsters and things.

20 hours ago, xvertigox said:

Alpha version 1.1 of Extreme Entryway. v1.0 can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsu1vDF07KM

Herzon says this is his second map. It is not. This is not a new map. You took map01 and threw a bunch of EXTREME monsters in there with seemingly no logic. This is fine for fucking around with by yourself but do not release this as "map" for people to play. The map01 level geometry is exactly the same, only more monsters have been added.

You need to make your own maps. Mess around with the editor and make silly stuff like this but don't release it.

This makes me think this is a troll. If this is a troll make better jokewads, if not, make your own maps. I'm pretty sure this is just a troll.

How did you get your hud to look like that? I'm curious. I love it.

Sorry that you guys didn't like the wad. As you probably assumed I am pretty new to making maps so I wanted to start simple and slowly make bigger things! I just wanted to see what the community thought about my map. I'm gonna get a new map maker so I will try to make better maps with it and hopefully make things that you guys will enjoy! The newer maps won't just be normal maps with new enemies or textures! Thanks for your feedback!

3 minutes ago, Herzon said:

Sorry that you guys didn't like the wad. As you probably assumed I am pretty new to making maps so I wanted to start simple and slowly make bigger things! I just wanted to see what the community thought about my map. I'm gonna get a new map maker so I will try to make better maps with it and hopefully make things that you guys will enjoy! The newer maps won't just be normal maps with new enemies or textures! Thanks for your feedback!

It's awesome that you're creating content, it's just that not everything needs to be released. I HIGHLY recommend making some small maps with stock assets (textures/enemies/weapons/etc) before touching any custom content. It will be very difficult to know how to use custom assets if you have no experience with the stock ones.

Seriously, just make a few small maps you find fun and think look cool. Do that a few times until you feel comfortable enough to try a bigger map or a map to release.

On 2/21/2018 at 9:18 PM, Herzon said:

Good luck with your mapping!

I have two pieces of advice.

1. In the same vein as @xvertigox, don't be overly ambitious to start out.

I don't know what you've played and what you've tried, but you said you haven't been mapping long. It's much easier to build (and finish) a map on the scale of Dead Simple than to build and finish a map on the scale of Map 5 of Holy Hell or Map 5 of Deus Vult or one of the largest levels in Eternal Doom or No End in Sight (the list of big levels goes on and on).

The reason I stressed "finish" is that it's very easy to start a large, very complicated project. Complicated can mean 1 map with 10000 sectors and 50000 linedefs or a full 32-level megawad where each level takes 10 minutes to finish. However, it's also very easy to not finish a very complicated project because it can be very easy to get distracted from it, especially when the rigors of life, family, kids, school, work, etc. get involved.

2. Don't be obsessed with what you see other mappers do.

This is not to say that you should ignore the legitimate thoughts and suggestions of others here. Accepting criticism and learning from it is a good thing, provided those critiques is actually meant to be helpful and not hurtful.

What I do mean is that you may look at what others mappers submit, especially large, sprawling, complicated maps that reportedly took 10 or 20 hours to make. You may think that is the standard you need to live up to. You may then think there is no way you'll ever be able to match this, and there's no reason to start because you can't build a map with 3D bridges and 10000 sectors and all 6 keys and all the bells and whistles in half a day. Don't think that. Don't obsess over the impressive work that some people can do in short amounts of time. You can be impressed, and should be, but don't be intimidated by it. Don't obsess over it. Creating maps for Doom is not a competitive sport. Build what you build, as long as it's your's, and don't worry about whether it has all the latest bells and whistles as long as it looks halfway decent and is fun to play. Then, take whatever criticism you get, look at it, learn from it, and fold it in to your next map if you want to, and keep building.

The bottom line is, good luck and have fun!