Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What a year it has been so far. So much ridiculous shit happening that you couldn't make this shit up. People eating Tide Pods (I saw one guy vaping a Tide Pod). Browsing FaceBook the shit I see is just getting dumber and dumber (Some of it might be clickbait but I am pretty good at figuring out what is and what isn't). I came across an article about a woman suing California for not acknowledging the existence of Big Foot (http://abc6onyourside.com/news/offbeat/california-woman-sues-state-for-not-acknowledging-bigfoots-existence) this was posted on a Local News site. 

Wow what a year so far. Anybody else got any other ridiculous news stories or anything similar. Please dont post obvious clickbait. 

2 hours ago, NightmareZer0 said:

Literally how dumb are we becoming as a species.

Speak for yourself, capitalist swine. On this side of the ocean we are all actually quite intelligent.

And yeah you americans are dumb xd xd xdddd

https://www.dailywire.com/news/26380/trans-age-pedophile-charged-abusing-3-girls-says-amanda-prestigiacomo

EDIT: I just ran into another article that made me cringe harder than I thought I could at this old age, but it's kinda scandalous and is bound to cause a flamewar, so I'm putting it in a spoiler. Also it's dated December '17 but same thing, you goddamn nitpicker.

Edited by bzzrak

2 hours ago, NightmareZer0 said:

Wow what a year so far

You have almost solved one sixth of the puzzle...

of the 2018 year...

1 hour ago, bzzrak said:

From the article: "A Chicago man accused of sexually assaulting two six-year-olds and an eight-year-old on repeated occasions, told police officers that he's really "a 9-year-old trapped in an adult's body," prosecutors revealed on Wednesday."

Just when you think you've heard it all. What the fuck! 

Also this: https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/25/health/cuckolding-sex-kerner/index.html

1 hour ago, bzzrak said:

I just ran into another article that made me cringe harder than I thought I could at this old age

"gender conscious climate change"

I mean... These words make sense individually, but put them together and it's complete bullshit... God help us all if these people are serious...

TL;DR of the article: "Let's add the climate change to the stack of cards that say how oppressed women are."

This one here is pure gold:

“If Eve were here now, she’d probably be a badass environmental activist or climate change policy-maker,” I thought to myself. “But she’d be terribly overqualified and definitely underpaid.”

Shit like this is why first of all I never ever want to get thrown in the same basket as feminists, because that's how embarassing this is; And second of I can't help but laugh and shake my head at the same time when a feminist claims to fight for "our rights" these days. It's like nothing could ever be far fetched and absurd enough as long as it helps these idiots who fail to realize what part they played in how their lives turned out "people" in their quest for being ever greater victims.

It's not like climate change isn't a huge fucking issue on its own, but conflating it with gender politics is another chip in the pile of the "hyper-conservatives", when it's time to deny the effects the industry has on global warming yet again, because suddenly it's even more of a "SJW kinda issue" and thus can be dismissed even easier than before.

We're not getting dumber as a species. It's just that now everybody (including the idiots) has a multitude of platforms to choose from to show off their stupidity to the world. Also people are getting so lonely and depressed now, they'll do almost anything (like these stupid challenges) for likes and views.

Not everyone deserves a platform, especially if they don't really have anything to actually say or do, and I think as time goes on this becomes more and more evident.

2 hours ago, CARRiON said:

We're not getting dumber as a species. It's just that now everybody (including the idiots) has a multitude of platforms to choose from to show off their stupidity to the world. Also people are getting so lonely and depressed now, they'll do almost anything (like these stupid challenges) for likes and views.

Not everyone deserves a platform, especially if they don't really have anything to actually say or do, and I think as time goes on this becomes more and more evident.

I agree with that. We're not getting dumber, these dumb people have always existed, except it's a lot easier for these people to get heard nowadays with all these platforms to share images and text on.

Purely because of this, I'm actually quite reluctant to get any social media accounts at all, due to how many of these stories spring up on "trending" and so on and so forth. I'm sticking to discord and some "less volatile" subreddits for now. Also Doomworld forums.

8 hours ago, CARRiON said:

True.

Still, while idiots have always existed, I can't help but wonder whether their numbers aren't in fact increasing more and more.

21 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

I think 2018 has potential, we just need to collectively get our shit together and stop launching cars into space.

SpaceX offered NASA a free launch on that Falcon Heavy. They declined. Remember that the figure quoted was that it was a 50/50 chance of the launch being a success; it wasn't even entirely successful either since the main booster failed to land. SpaceX had to launch something - would you rather they launched a pile of rocks? At least they chose something imaginative.

So I dunno man, it's hard for me at least to look at the biggest rocket launch since 1973 and think it's somehow a step backwards.

12 hours ago, Agent6 said:

True.

Still, while idiots have always existed, I can't help but wonder whether their numbers aren't in fact increasing more and more.

Not sure if the availability of platforms is a huge factor in how many of them surfaced, but the increased reach of ill-motivated people with a brain sure helps them to take advantage of said "idiots" even more.

I try to have faith in humanity, but sometimes the human species saddens me to no end. I just wish people could be nicer to one another. 

19 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Not sure if the availability of platforms is a huge factor in how many of them surfaced

Nah, wasn't implying their "popularity" or visibility on the internet anyway, it's something I see in real life more often than I ever did some 10yrs ago, which makes me question their numbers.

Or maybe that's just me being unlucky since even back in my childhood I had a hard time running into quality people and ran into assholes or idiots instead much more often, so I might as well rely on my past experiences more than I should and losing touch with the actual reality, I dunno.

26 minutes ago, Ajora said:

I try to have faith in humanity, but sometimes the human species saddens me to no end. I just wish people could be nicer to one another. 

Same, but at this time I'm not even sure what to expect from them anymore.

4 hours ago, fraggle said:

SpaceX offered NASA a free launch on that Falcon Heavy. They declined. Remember that the figure quoted was that it was a 50/50 chance of the launch being a success; it wasn't even entirely successful either since the main booster failed to land. SpaceX had to launch something - would you rather they launched a pile of rocks? At least they chose something imaginative.

So I dunno man, it's hard for me at least to look at the biggest rocket launch since 1973 and think it's somehow a step backwards.

It was a sarcastic joke.

Animals ate poisonous candy, Uganda became relevant again, some Disney abortion laughed at a dead man, idiotic groups are getting even dumber and bigger, someone's spaghet got touched, there's a car floating in space and pedos are starting to seek the public acceptance they absolutely shouldn't fucking get.

It's fucking shit.

I find it more interesting than anything. Internet culture experiences what can only be described as whiplashes. Cultural changes that took decades to millennia now happen in mere weeks (albeit on an awkwardly different scale, not necessarily smaller). I only bemoan the distasteful corruption of the word 'memes', which used to refer to memetics. Memetics is basically the modification and propagation of cultural ideas, such as Religion, Ideologies, Movements, Laws, Ethics, etc., a la Darwinian evolution. Now memes refer to semi-funny internet in-jokes that make a mockery of the original concept.

That being said, humans have always been rather dumb. All of us are chock full of biases based primarily on environment and experience, and that ignores several cognitive biases that are scientifically documented. With the internet, we have an interesting conundrum. The internet merely is a stage where everyone gets their own microphone. This allows for a public display of every aspect of humanity - both the best and worst. But the internet provides something rather unique - anonymity.

Anonymity means that no natural mechanism stops us from being absolutely idiotic. Very rarely are internet arguments ever resolved since all sides are so entrenched in their beliefs, and they will never face each other ever again. There are very few stakes when it comes to internet debate, so it often devolves into rant city. And at the end of it all, all sides pat themselves on the back praising how correct they are (or how wrong the other sides are). Additionally, we have cults of personalities, us-vs-them mentalities, and all the additional individual and societal baggage of humanity.

The internet is, simply put, the most accurate microcosm of humanity, for better and for worse.

On 21.02.2018 at 10:59 PM, NightmareZer0 said:

Literally how dumb are we becoming as a species.

And that's why I'm keep my distance away of majority. It comes more clear every single day humanity losing mind, becoming even dumber than maggots. Ew.

On 2/21/2018 at 8:42 PM, NightmareZer0 said:

Anybody else got any other ridiculous news stories or anything similar. Please dont post obvious clickbait. 

Rarely have I seen a better oxymoron.

congratulations to anyone who can look 2018 in the eye and be motivated to fight the conservative shit burying it

you have my support. (and even though guns scare the shit out of me, don't let centrists vote away your guns)

i am going to the imaginary land instead, sorry about that

10 minutes ago, yakfak said:

congratulations to anyone can look 2018 in the eye and be motivated to fight the conservative shit burying it

i am going to the imaginary land instead, sorry about that

And make sure you return with a badass beard,a unicorn and a handful of doom maps :)

Edit:Some music as well!

Edited by Catpho

You have probably seen this already but there is a "Hot Coil" challenge...

News sources are just farming for stories and posting this dumb shit. Which inturn gets more people to partake in the Stupidity.

I used to let myself get enraged by this kind of stuff, and sometimes I still do get enraged in spite of myself, but it's not worth it. Why? Because that is the endgame for the people you are enraged *by*.

Let me explain:

1. Someone does something that has the potential to go viral. Outside of cute or funny things, the best thing to go viral is outrage-driving things.

2. Around the time "viral" became a term-used in the mainstream regarding internet stories, it was already becoming recognized by advertisers as the future

3. Now, there is an entire industry of advertising based on having viral content on a 24 hour cycle

4. The best viral outrage is when someone says something ridiculous that can trigger two sides fighting over it due to each side's preconceived notions for and against, neither one listening to the other and using the worst examples of the opponent's position as proof the other is wrong. In the old days, this would have just been trolling or trying to start a flamewar. Now it's an entire industry that does better for itself than most traditional media (which can be dry or boring unless something interesting actually *does* happen). So even traditional media is doing it more and more (although arguably this whole trend traces back to 24 hour news cycle from cable news, or even further back to tabloids, or even further to yellow journalism)

Now, as a post-script, this has even further disturbing effects. The media's main interest is in ad revenue AKA clicks. If an inflammatory article gets everyone to click on it, whether because the clicker agrees with the viewpoint posited and wants to be mentally jerked off or because the clicker disagrees and wants to feel the sweet flood of addictive meaningless outrage, a click and therefore an advertising opportunity has occurred. The publisher wins. The advertiser wins.

The much darker side, however, is that this is driving people apart more and more. People's views become more dogmatic in response to the perceived dogma of the "opposition". People argue past each other based on money-driven provocateurs mis-representing the other side. Since people talk less and less in person (especially about hot-button issues due to social pariah fears of othering themselves), one might start to think they are in a war of ideals with the enemy and not just in a mild disagreement with a peer. This helps make the political climate what it is today.

Some of this is just due to people wanting short term gains in the advertising world not caring about the social fallout of their irresponsible journalism, but it's becoming more and more realized now that the other part is made up of coordinated psyops disruption campaigns by government entities (foreign or domestic). I used to avoid saying things like that last sentence because it makes you sound like a nut to most people, but it's gotten to the point that the mainstream media now acknowledges this is a very real possibility, regarding Russian bot farms (but they are most certainly not the first or last).

Media consumption is a drug and the addiction people have to it is growing. That is very much the goal by social media, advertisers and those happy to disrupt social cohesion through manipulation of public platforms. When you read about someone stupid and feel that enjoyable sense of self-righteous rage, stop yourself and think about it for a second. Try and quell it. You are letting your buttons be pushed so at best you can be someone's piggy bank and at worst you can have your entire outlook on society be puppeteered for someone else's gain.

Also, the "innocuous" clickbait like cute cats or celebrity facts are there to bring you back up. They get clicks without there being controversy, but they provide another emotional flavor so that you can ping pong between rage and happiness like sweet and salt. Don't buy into it, these are conglomerates who are running a feminist news website on one domain and a sexist celebrity blog on another and then a stream of cat pictures on yet another.