Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grimosaur

VINESAUCE DOOM MAPPING CONTEST 2.

2 hours ago, Argent Agent said:

Not sure about this; last time was disappointing as most of the maps were just Vinesauce memes while the judge seemed amazed with maps covered in Startan.

I don't think Joel actually meant it whenever he ended a bad map by saying "yea not to bad, I liked it a lot actually..." or something along those lines. He is just a nice guy and did not want to sound too mean/harsh to the beginner mappers, which is fine.

Well Vinesauce in general, not just Joel but everyone else in the team/group/whatever you want to call it, is all about the memes so it's honestly kind of expected that there will be memey joke maps, at least he doesn't allow Terry shit

How would doomworld top last year?  Getting Romero to release an ultimate doom megawad?

On 2/5/2018 at 8:25 AM, Argent Agent said:

Not sure about this; last time was disappointing as most of the maps were just Vinesauce memes while the judge seemed amazed with maps covered in Startan.

Welcome to VineSauce.

Since they get a lot of art tributes, I think a lot of the fandom is lost on them. I also wonder if their fans are artists hoping to get seen since they cover their fan art.

If you go the fandom route, don't go in starry eyed making tributes because it comes off as mundane since a lot of people do it... make them something off-putting and so personally creepy that it will haunt them long after a 3 - 7 hour stream ends.

I started listening to Vinny and Joel because of Joel's contest. I had to stop listening to Joel as he tends to yell when he gets excited. There are a lot of callbacks to previous streams that I just don't understand making me feel like they're nothing but catch phrases with no context. Chances are they are so meme because they're so bored of playing video games, but they have to because the fame chose them.

Vinny is great with voices... those that ARE NOT YELLING ONE WORD CATCH PHRASES. Joel is great at doing Duke Nukem. Making me wonder if its the microphone that makes Duke impressionists sound so good.

Edited by geo

On 2/6/2018 at 2:39 AM, jerk-o said:

How would doomworld top last year?  Getting Romero to release an ultimate doom megawad?

Getting Romero to do a Hexen or Heretic megawad? ;)

7 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Little over a week left. How is everyone getting on with their maps? :D

Dobu is going pretty well(relatively)

13 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

I already entered my map. Although i should've worked on it more. Oh well. 

I recently complete developind a map for the "Manhunt" contest. Yesterday I sketched out a map plan for this event. Only today I will begin to do the first trys in GZDB. Unfortunately, I can not promise anything. All this is very wrong for me... Maybe it will be something small, maybe simply nothing...

That's unfortunate StormCatcher! Especially since you did so well last year! Regardless, I enjoy your maps so I hope you're able to put something out. :D

If everything is really bad, on the last day I'll do something in "startan-archvile-madness" style ... :P To relax ...

Have you already submitted your map? We Is it worth waiting for something as amazing as Nightlife?

I've not submitted yet, no. I've got something that I feel is somewhat special in the works, but it plays a lot more like a traditional doom map and is less gimmicky compared to Nightlife. :)

I posted my map to this contest. I hope that I have some actual competition. I remember last year's submissions and if this year's is the same, it shouldn't be that hard to wow Joel...

3 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I am working on a Doom 3/Doom 64 hybrid style map that uses the Doom 3 textures that were recently converted into Doom format as well as 3D models I myself have made for the map. So far I have made over 50 models for the map and there are still some more I will make. Finishing them and texturing them while also finishing the map before the deadline will be tough, but I think I will be able to make it happen with enough effort. I am extremely exited about the project as well because this is my first ever level where I have been experimenting with using 3D models. The finished thing will look extremely awesome.

1 minute ago, hardcore_gamer said:

I am working on a Doom 3/Doom 64 hybrid style map that uses the Doom 3 textures that were recently converted into Doom format as well as 3D models I myself have made for the map. So far I have made over 50 models for the map and there are still some more I will make. Finishing them and texturing them while also finishing the map before the deadline will be tough, but I think I will be able to make it happen with enough effort. I am extremely exited about the project as well because this is my first ever level where I have been experimenting with using 3D models. The finished thing will look extremely awesome.

I hope it is,havent seen much d2 maps that use d3 texture too recently!

Mine it's a techbase style map, located on the artic, it's nothing out of this world in terms of detailing, but im aiming for a level that's simple but fun to play. It's practically finished, the main part of the map it's done, i just gotta detail it and do a lot of balancing, but im a little divided about how to do the exit, so far i've been teasing hell overtaking the base by the time you get to the exit, and i wanted to have a boss fight with a cyberdemon that i planed to modify on decorate, but im not convinced if that's the right way to end things since it could come as tedious and more of a chore to do.... but nevermind, i still have a week to decide this, also i've been watching the previous contest videos for reference and there are a couple of things that i gotta keep in mind, since he skips lots of ammo, health and avoid encounters, so there are a lot of things i might change in the finished map

Other than that, well it's going well, im planing to modify it and release it to the public after the contest it's over, maybe with a couple added maps. Here's the layout so far

Spoiler

01PPbDF.png

Edited by DMPhobos

Spoiler

Screenshot2.png.f9416f385a58aeffb1a84839d1aa6758.png

This contest is going to be the first I enter and with the second map I've ever made for the game. I'm a little worried that the length might be a problem though, but I've made an effort to keep the level interesting throughout its course (changing music, autosaves, different tasks to do, and tbh somewhat linear?). Is it weird to design a map specifically around the limitations of the person playing it?

7 minutes ago, RolfTheWhatever said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot2.png.f9416f385a58aeffb1a84839d1aa6758.png

This contest is going to be the first I enter and with the second map I've ever made for the game. I'm a little worried that the length might be a problem though, but I've made an effort to keep the level interesting throughout its course (changing music, autosaves, different tasks to do, and tbh somewhat linear?). Is it weird to design a map specifically around the limitations of the person playing it?

Can you be clearer?

Just now, Catpho said:

Can you be clearer?

Yeah, by that I mean I didn't want to make anything that was too hard to think about or with too much back tracking/puzzle solving, because given the fact that it's meant to be streamed I need it to have a decent sense of flow and progression. Anything that breaks that is bound to knock points off of it. I was directly inspired by the Blood Room from last time to avoid this thing from happening.

Speaking of long maps, I find it baffling that Joel decided to create a max allowed limit of only one level and yet made no rules regarding how long the level can be. No offense towards the mappers who are making these maps, but I honestly find it a bit rude to make a super long level that takes like 1 hour+ to finish. It just makes the mapper come of as being desperate in that he wants to hog all the stream to himself. While watching last year's contest the moments in time where I got the most bored was always during the super long maps. I really wished he had made a rule that said maps can't be longer than somewhere between 20-30 min at most.

Edited by hardcore_gamer

While I agree from an entertainment perspective (as in, sitting through 1 hour's worth of footage on an uninteresting map isn't the best fun ever), your attack on people being "attention whores" isn't really justified imho. You've been tasked with "make the most impressive and memorable map you can in x days". You've also got this shot to have your work publicly displayed in front of hundreds or thousands of people. Might as well make it count!

For what it's worth, my map currently sits at 15 mins worth of gameplay so I'm not really arguing for my own cause.

28 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

While I agree from an entertainment perspective (as in, sitting through 1 hour's worth of footage on an uninteresting map isn't the best fun ever), your attack on people being "attention whores" isn't really justified imho.

I admit that it's very harsh wording. But I also feel that it's largely justified. For example, you state that the goal is to impress people the most memorable map possible. Making a map super long makes it more memorable, but for all the wrong reasons. It's basically just a desperate way to make the map stay in the player's memory for longer because the designer wasn't able to come up with anything that would stay memorable even if the map wasn't super long in length. When people have nothing interesting to say, they will often try to make up for it by just talking for longer hoping others will mistake the length of their argument for an actual argument. This is no different. This might not be so bad if the map was just uploaded for others to play like under typical circumstances, but in a contest like this not being respectful of the viewer's time (and Joel's) by making a super huge map that takes hours to beat seems like a dick move.

Also consider that the longer it takes for the whole contest to finish, the fewer people will actually watch the entire thing. The last contest was literally dozens of hours. Do you really think most people watched the entire thing? Do you really think as many people watched the maps from the last couple of streams vs the views that the first 1 or 2 streams got? The longer it takes to finish the maps, the fewer views the maps played last will get. With that in mind, it's pretty selfish to make super huge megamaps.

I mean don't get me wrong. I am not saying the maps can't or should not have decent length. I am only talking about the super long ones.

EDIT: Having thought about it a bit I agree calling them attention whores wasn't called for. I have edited my other post to change the wording.

Edited by hardcore_gamer

Again, I do agree with you; but your argument seems immensely assumptive that all of the 'long maps' are bad maps. That said, it's not worth debating with you when, for the most part, I concur. :P

2 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Again, I do agree with you; but your argument seems immensely assumptive that all of the 'long maps' are bad maps. That said, it's not worth debating with you when, for the most part, I concur. :P

Well yea it's not impossible to make long good maps, but there has to be some specific reason for why they are long. If it's long simply for the sake of it, then there isn't any real reason it could not have simply been split into more than 1 map.