Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Positive depictions of hell?

Are there any wads that show hell as a pleasant place that's always warm and quiet or something like that? I mean, who said that hell has to be evil? I think Speed of Doom was rather interesting in this aspect as it had some levels that used very peaceful music despite being the typical red rock caves. Especially stewboy's midi for Map24 made it so mysterious and not oppressive at all. I thought it was a fresh and exciting take on the classic theme.

32 minutes ago, Memfis said:

I mean, who said that hell has to be evil?

Well the point of Hell is that it's a place of eternal torture and shittiness reserved for those who have sinned, a religious moral that I try and live by in its more modern and eloquent sounding form, "don't be a dick." If Hell were believed to be pleasant, it would never have worked :P

Though of course, different depictions of Hell in Doom are often interesting and welcomed, though personally I think maybe seeing more heaven-like maps would be cool. I had an idea for UDINO's Limbo (back when I was still involved with that) that would be a Wormhole-like thing between heaven and hell, maybe would have worked well...

--

4 minutes ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

The name "Nirvana" (Map 21 of Doom 2) comes to mind. It means Eternal Peace in Buddhism.

Oh, how could I forget, there's also cannonball's MAP21 from D2INO, which was based on this definition. It used Eruyt Village from FF12 as music.

Edited by Eris Falling

The name "Nirvana" (Map 21 of Doom 2) comes to mind. It means Eternal Peace in Buddhism.

I know valkiriforce made a Map21 in Reverie (i think that's the wad) where it's peaceful.

There is also a conspiracy theory that all negative depictions of hell are actually just anti-Satanist propaganda by Christians, etc. So maybe in truth hell is a really nice place, much better than heaven even, but certain groups want to hide that fact. I think someone should explore this more.

Some hell maps from Eternal Slumber Party use relaxing music from Japanese roleplaying games. You should check the map 05 , 15 or even 28. 

24 minutes ago, SiFi270 said:

Term made it look pretty okay in one of the DUMPs.

:D Now that's what I'm talking about!

I imagine a place where you can indulge in every earthly pleasure, without limits. Forever.

Over time, people would become such degenerates that they would just start torturing each other for fun and lust.

The Good, The Bad, and the Architectural has you and your buddies play as a farmers that own a ranch in hell. Just casually eeking out a living by growing mara plants (the Doom vine texture) and riding into town to perform odd jobs that'll pay the bills. In coop the first map has the player start off having just woken up from bed, while the other players are strewn about the house. Player 2 is just lazing on the couch like a freeloader. Its a delightfully silly episode with good music, and the maps play pretty well too.

Also while not exactly the same, the map I've been working on for tnt 2 involves a secret society of human researchers that not only willingly inject themselves into a planet-sized hellgod, but who also live and work inside of it as well. (Also yes that is a tutti frutti in the top right corner of the first shot. Also no I haven't figured out what's causing it.)

9 hours ago, Memfis said:

There is also a conspiracy theory that all negative depictions of hell are actually just anti-Satanist propaganda by Christians, etc. So maybe in truth hell is a really nice place, much better than heaven even, but certain groups want to hide that fact. I think someone should explore this more.

I think Pipicz proved Heaven was pure bollocks in Bloodstain (Map32 to be exact).