Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

On 8.2.2018 at 11:48 PM, Danfun64 said:

So, no demo compatibility with this? Pity...

I aim for demo compatibility with Vanilla (and Choco, that is). In this case that means "how would Vanilla behave if it wouldn't crash due to VISPLANE overflow?"

However, I cannot aim for demo compatibility with any EXE hack that people come up with...

How does PrBoom-Plus handle recording NR4TL demos? Can PrBoom-Plus play back Crispy Doom NR4TL demos, and/or vice versa?

IIRC, PrBoom+ handles NERVE.WAD just as any other PWAD when it comes to demo recording and playback. So, yes, both Crispy and PrBoom+ would be demo compatible in this regard.

On 9.2.2018 at 6:42 PM, galileo31dos01 said:

Question, is it possible that Crispy could have the video converter option like in PrBoom in a future? (timedemo, viddump)

This isn't too far fetched. In fact, there is already a discussion over at the Choco bug tracker and there is even an (unfinished!) branch that can convert video but no audio, currently. It might be a good idea to bring back some life to this topic...

https://github.com/chocolate-doom/chocolate-doom/issues/715

That would be an interesting, but fairly non-trivial change. I am currently not considering it, but maybe in the future...

I'd like to report, or ask about a possible bug I've just found a few seconds ago. There's this map 22 in Khorus' Speedy Shit where I cannot take a teleport pad for reasons I don't know (something like vanilla linedef skip maybe?), anyway here's a demo showing the problem: kssht22bug.zip

According to this video, the player could teleport in where he was supposed to. He uses PrBoom+, but I don't know if it's port related, compatibility related, wad related, heh. BTW, I was using Cripsy 4.2, and also tested in 5.1 and the issue is still there.

Could you probably check if the same happens if you play back the demo in Choco (and in PrBoom+ with -complevel 2, while at it), please? If not, you have found a severe bug in Crispy. 

The issue happens in every port and complevel you asked for, including complevel 9. That means it's wad related, I should have tested it better before, sorry...

I've three feature requests, and they're all about binds.

I haven't read all 26 pages of posts in this thread, so this might have been requested before.

I would like to be able to assign something to KP_ENTER, KP_INS, KP_DEL. Right now Crispy treats KP_ENTER as ENTER, KP_INS as INS, and so on. If I can already do this by editing the config, it's good enough for me, just point me to a link with instructions.

Also, I would like to be able to bind any action I want on mouse buttons. Right now the mouse buttons cannot take all actions. Similarly, if it's possible by editing the config, I'm fine with that.

And finally, I would like to be able to have two buttons for one function. This one is minor.

If Crispy Doom uses Chocolate Doom's key command code, it doesn't look like it's possible to define those keypad keys currently:

#define KEYP_ENTER      KEY_ENTER
#define KEYP_0          KEY_INS
#define KEYP_PERIOD     0

While messing with Crispy I also noticed this little visual bug which has been present in other ports like PRB+ forever I am pretty sure.

It looks like hitscans are hitting the floor but the puffs are being rendered vertically above them (in mid-air) farther than they should be.

On 2/19/2018 at 0:33 PM, fabian said:

@Linguica Is this possible the "hitscan attack hits invisible barrier" bug?

I don't think so? It looks like the bullet hits the ground and then insta-zips along the path of travel until it gets to a linedef. It might be some weird artifact of the interpolation code?

edit: I'm not even sure if "the bullet hits the ground" is a thing that Doom even knows how to comprehend (as far as I know the intercepts routine only check linedefs and things), so I dunno.

13 hours ago, Linguica said:

I don't think so? It looks like the bullet hits the ground and then insta-zips along the path of travel until it gets to a linedef.

Ah, this. Yeah, coincidentally I fixed this some weeks ago :

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/commit/64ade24910437b2ec9e4a64a7a6444c0be0f5300

Edit: Though, currently only for bullets emitted by the player. 

Edit2: Now fixed for all sloped trajectories. 

Edited by fabian

OK, so just to be clear, what I am *actually* seeing is the bullets striking the linedef *below* the ground level, being drawn despite being "underground", and then in the next frame being pushed up to ground level, right?

Damn, are you going to fix it? I can't think of a workaround and the HUD gets a bit screwey when it gets in the negatives. Actually when you then grab some shells it starts going up again *mind blown*

Arguably, it is already fixed, as in "it already does exactly what Vanilla did". On the other hand, I don't necessarily have to track every Dehacked bug, that's probably what Choco is for. I cannot imagine any Dehacked patch making serious use of this bug, please tell me if I am wrong, Else, I will probably special-case the ammo type 5 case and just don't decrease anything if this is set (but leave the behavior for any other ammo type untouched).

Edit: Also, PrBoom+ does the same.

Edited by fabian

Does anyone have the most recent binary of Crispy Heretic available? I wish I could compile a new version but I am unable to and the old binary I have doesn't display fullscreen very well.

15 minutes ago, elvisish said:

Does anyone have the most recent binary of Crispy Heretic available? I wish I could compile a new version but I am unable to and the old binary I have doesn't display fullscreen very well.

3.3 was the first that cut support for it, so I guess 3.2 was the last

http://www.greffrath.com/~fabian/crispy-doom_3.2.zip

8 hours ago, VGA said:

3.3 was the first that cut support for it, so I guess 3.2 was the last

http://www.greffrath.com/~fabian/crispy-doom_3.2.zip

Ahh, that's slightly newer than the version I had from August, thanks. Is it possible to stretch the game out to the full height of the window? At preset, it seems to be integer scaled so it's slightly in the middle of the screen (I'm at 1920x1080)

cirss.png.f9eee230b1533e134f62aec094c2926e.png