Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GeorgeCostanza94

Do you think the Doom Slayer is the same protagonist from the last games?

I've mentioned this before, but I consider all id Software IPs to be part of a multiverse in which any element of any nested universe can intersect with any element of any other nested universe. Each Doom game, even Doom 64 and our countless mods, are part of this multiverse. Each game contains its own version of the Doom Guy, but they all derive from the original which derives from id who are the god creators of the id multiverse. That might be a bit high concept for a damn video game franchise, but to me it helps explain the context of each protagonist without having to get into canon or chronology.

35 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

I've mentioned this before, but I consider all id Software IPs to be part of a multiverse in which any element of any nested universe can intersect with any element of any other nested universe. Each Doom game, even Doom 64 and our countless mods, are part of this multiverse. Each game contains its own version of the Doom Guy, but they all derive from the original which derives from id who are the god creators of the id multiverse. That might be a bit high concept for a damn video game franchise, but to me it helps explain the context of each protagonist without having to get into canon or chronology.

I don't think anyone wants to canonize nuts.wad

I'm of the mind that OG Doomguy stayed in Hell keeping things under control for many, many years after the end of Doom64 and transformed into a sort of demigod (The Doomslayer) after all that time. Seeing as his "death" at the end of E1 hardly even phased him, I think it's safe to assume he was never a mere mortal to begin with, but after all the bullshit he's had to deal with it's become more and more clear over time that he is basically the appointed savior and protector of humanity itself. He literally takes the role as Hell's gatekeeper by choice. There is clearly something divine, or at least well beyond human when it comes to Doomguy.

All the WADs that have been released basically fill the gap between the end of Doom64 and the start of Doom 2016, it seems they designed the game to specifically canonize all WADs this way. They allowed the community to fill in the "what was it like for Doomguy while he was Hell's gatekeeper" chapter, essentially.

There are a few Doom games where you don't play as Doomguy, namely Doom3 and Resurrection of Evil. Those games simply seem to be from the perspective of two totally different, totally non-divine humans who just happen to exist in the same universe as Doomguy and have to deal with some of the bullshit that came as a result of the UAC's obsession with interdimensional travel and whatnot. Both protagonists in the 2 chapters of Doom3 are excellent soldiers of course, but other than being marines, they don't seem to have much in common and certainly don't seem to have anything to do with OG Doomguy directly. Their speed and strength seem minuscule by comparison as well, further evidence that they are normal mortals and Doomguy is something beyond that.

That's just my take on it but it all seems to come together nicely when you consider all the little clues and story cues and whatnot present in every game. After adding it all up, this is the picture it painted for me personally.

Edited by Doomkid

6 hours ago, Yhe1 said:

I don't think anyone wants to canonize nuts.wad

Well sure, and I'm in no rush to canonize impse either, but I still consider all of it to be part of the Doom/Doom 2 universe. Not necessarily crafted specifically by the id gods, but rather, us, who are the demigods from which mods spawn.

Doom 3 never happened as far as I'm concerned, it's a generic shooter with Hell Knights. Funny how they shitcanned Tom Hall then made his game anyway.

New Doom took the best features of Doom 2 and Doom 3 and merged them. It improved in every possible way on what Doom 3 tried to do visually. It also retained the thrilling run and gun action of Doom 2. It seemed rather obvious that the references to a Slayer are references to the original Doom Marine, and the only confusion I can see comes from how they describe him, as they make a holy war out of what was basically one man looking for his keys.

Doom 1, 2, 64 and 2016 take place in the same timeline. But since as we all know, time and space means nothing in the warp, I also believe that

On 8/27/2017 at 3:01 PM, MrGlide said:

the thousands of years of Doom Slayer killing demons are the idgames archives.

I'd say its the same protagonist as Doom 1 and 2. Doom 3 seems to be its own thing that refers to the other Dooms. Its all up for debate. If I tried hard enough I could spin a tale to combine all the Dooms together as one protagonist. Then again I can always say "you are Doomguy." If you have played any Doom, then because you are Doomguy you have been in the games you have played.

The Doom Slayer is a man of a thousand faces, a champion chosen by some unknown force to battle the armies of darkness. He probably even exists in other forms as well like the Quake universe or Heretic/Hexen.

On 8/26/2017 at 8:13 PM, GeorgeCostanza94 said:

Maybe this has already been discussed, but is it possible that the Doom Slayer is the same marine from Doom 1 & 2, or maybe Doom 3? 

I doubt it. The Doomslayer is a "spiritually prophesied/higher being-type figure" who is given similar looking armor to that of marines in other games. The marines in Doom 3 and classic Doom are like the marines in the Doom movie, just hired soldiers who are ultimately just doing a job. In my opinion this is more fitting and appealing in a Doom game than the more over-the-top and otherworldly Doomslayer.

I heard a theory some time ago that I thought was pretty decent. It theorizes that the Doomguy from the original games stayed in hell after the end of DOOM 64, and fought his way through hell as usual, striking fear into the cold hearts of demons everywhere. In hell, he met with a certain "wretched" character, who granted him unimaginable powers in exchange for avenging his dead son, also known as SPOILERS the icon of sin itself. His UAC combat armor was enchanted using the strongest materials from Hell, and featured many usable utilities and skillsets. I think there's some weight to this theory, but as far as I know, it hasn't been declared as canon. Then again, I'm pretty new to all of this.

What do you think?

On 08.09.2017 at 8:08 PM, Quasar said:

You understand the connection is based on more than the classic Doomguy skin, right? The primary bit that currently links the two together is Daisy's rabbit foot being stated as belonging to the Doom Slayer, which is the name of the 2016 protagonist. It clearly states that his pet rabbit was killed during the demonic invasion of Earth. That's the story of Doom and Doom II; there's no invasion of Earth in the 2016 game.

... yet. Or it happened while Mars accident was in progress, while Olivia tried to kept us from both taking the Crusible and closing Hellgate.

The Doom Slayer from Doom 4 is the same character as the protag from the previous games; however the protag from the previous games is not the same as the Doom Slayer.

No idea if this'll really contribute a whole lot to the discussion, but on the Doom 3 Collector's Edition disc for OG Xbox, there's clips from the G4 TV spot about Doom 3. Some of id talked about how Doom 3 isn't "Doom 3 [taking place] after Doom II: Hell on Earth". Doom 3 plays out as if "Doom and Doom II never happened".

EDIT: I found a video of all 4 parts put together in one video 

I somehow doubt it - the way the codices are written heavily implies the events of DOOMs I and II never happened.

I consider Quake Champions non-canon, as I severely doubt B.J. Blazkowicz went on a magical journey to Lovecraft-land while he had more Nazis to kill. I also severely doubt that Ranger was an American football player.

Lol multiverses are fun. They are never going to come right out and say "yeah you guys are right it it's the same dude." They are just going to keep making the games with enough plot to hold the current game together. It's like discussing if 1940s Batman is the same as current day Batman. Sure, but not really. Doomguy is whatever you want him to be. They make it vague as hell on purpose. Thier could be infinite Doomguys. Like whenever you die in the game that's a Doomguy who didn't make it and when you reload that's a whole other universe where another Doomguy tries again. We have put more thought into this than id ever has I guarantee it.

Eh, I don't mind it being canon necessarily, if anything it's kinda cool that it's the same guy (The Marine in D3 doesn't count to me because I hate that game) according to the id guys, but, I like Doomguy and Doomslayer being separate characters better for me. I think they were too eager to be fan service-y with the whole multiverse concept and 'all PWADs are canon'. I like that Doom 64 is canon though. But altogether I find Doomguy to be more badass because he's just a man, still human, fighting against extraordinary odds. Doomslayer is just comical at times with how angry he is, and it's like he has less personality and relatability. Demons being afraid of YOU is still badass though, but you just can't replace the original.

The_anonymous_space_marine_from_DOOM.png

@cyan0s1s That's not necessarily true. There are many little moments that show bits of quirkyness (fist bumping his own doll), humanity (staring at the dead corpse during Hayden's opening speech), selfless heroicism (backing up VEGA without prompt), and mortality (such as when the enemies glory kill YOU) in Doom Slayer's character.

Also, Icon of Sin carried over from Classic Doom as well.

On 3/24/2018 at 3:05 AM, MaxTrevors said:

We have put more thought into this than id ever has I guarantee it.

Most likely. But, they're the ones that encouraged it ;)