Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SiFi270

Is Doom 64's new weapon explicitly called the Unmaker?

Hope I'm not opening any cans of worms here. We all know the pickup message is just "What the !@#%* is this!", and there's no mention of it in the manual. I squinted really hard at these Nintendo Power scans and could only see a mention of "the new laser weapon" in its guide for Altar of Pain, which would match the names given to its sprites. Does it come from one of these two strategy guides? Or maybe somewhere in the source code?

Edited by SiFi270 : The two book links were the same at first

All I know is that the alpha of Doom apparently originally intended to have a weapon known as the unmaker.

Perhaps the Doom 64 weapon inherited this title from fans, or the devs themselves.

It may be a situation like the pinky demon. It's referred to in the official material as just the "demon", and as people started using the nickname it quickly took over the original name.

Edited by Resigned_34

I've always referred it to the Laser Weapon. Also the sprite for the weapon is also called LASR and the pickup sprite is called LSGR which sounds a lot like 'Laser Gun' to me.

3 hours ago, SiFi270 said:

Or maybe somewhere in the source code?

We don't have the source code, though. Doom64 EX is based on reverse-engineering of the compiled blob.

And we know that anyway the "internal" name(s) are not always the official names. For example the Cyberdemon is identified in the Doom source code as MT_CYBORG (MT standing for "map thing"). Likewise, the pinky is internally identified as MT_DEMON but its sprite is SARG, from back when it was the "Demon Sergeant". The arachnotron is a baby and the mancubus is a fatso.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

Likewise, the pinky is internally identified as MT_DEMON but its sprite is SARG, from back when it was the "Demon Sergeant"

I always wondered why that was.

I might be wrong, but I think it's explicitly called the Unmaker in a file (I don't remember who exactly from id wrote it) that explains how Doom was originally supposed to be. It is actually a cut weapon from the original game, along the Demon Claw, the latter which was never brought to life in subsequent releases.

Yeah, the name Unmaker is mentioned in the Doom Bible, but it has no bearing on Doom 64's weapon at all. All we know about the Unmaker in the doom bible is that it "hurts pure demons a lot, demon-humans very little, tech demons some." and is made of demon bones. Whereever the name was assigned to the doom 64 weapon, they probably just recycled the name since its really the only demonic weapon name associated with Doom at all.

One time when messing with a DOOM 3 map editor and looking at one of the original maps, I recall seeing one or more of the maggots literally being nicknamed "faggot" in the editor.

Well if I want to call it the Unmaker I will call it the Unmaker, the developers might've gotten inspiration from the Doom bible since it's the first demonic looking weapon in an actual Doom game.

7 hours ago, Avoozl said:

Well if I want to call it the Unmaker I will call it the Unmaker

So will I. It'd be hard to break the habit after this long.

7 hours ago, Avoozl said:

the developers might've gotten inspiration from the Doom bible

Someone certainly did, but I'm not sure it was the developers.

15 hours ago, Avoozl said:

Well if I want to call it the Unmaker I will call it the Unmaker, the developers might've gotten inspiration from the Doom bible since it's the first demonic looking weapon in an actual Doom game.

This! Also the Doom 64 intro might have been inspired from that too! If I can recall correctly, there are some paragraph in the Doom Bible that says after the first episode ending or the cinematic intro will appear a Demonic Lord face and it's masked by the word: Doom. Just like it happens in Doom 64.

18 hours ago, CARRiON said:

One time when messing with a DOOM 3 map editor and looking at one of the original maps, I recall seeing one or more of the maggots literally being nicknamed "faggot" in the editor.

Really? wow.