Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xvertigox

Looking to play and record your maps

From Anon on /vr/ (Other Files By Author   : Indignation, The Growth, Dark 7 Europa)

A quick and brutal map by the creator of The Growth that was posted to the Doom /vr/ thread.

Similar in size to Growth and also very cramped. The gameplay relies heavily on using the berserk. I recommend not saving at all while playing as that's how it should be played - the readme says "Try not to savescum" and I agree 100%.

Download: https://mega.nz/#!udgS3DKT!YpoF8htxCYfbmLWvWjA9pdnqobFMUrsrnlLebm1dd3Q

//I got a PM from Keyboardstalker saying he was having issues replying to this thread (?) so I'm posting it here for him. BTW, my text reviews are always an accompaniment to the video review so if you read just text below it seems like I'm shitting on the map but the video provides specific examples and ways to improve - just wanted to make that clear.

@Keyboardstalker

This is Keyboardstalker's first ever WAD and it's "centered" around killing Nazis. I say "centered" because all this means it features a load of SS (no custom Nazi enemies) and a midi version of "Nazi Punks Fuck Off" by the Dead Kennedys.

It's very underdetailed and boxy. There are texture alignment issues in several areas and doors where the default STARTAN hasn't been replaced. There were no wolf textures used to tie in the nazi theme so all you had was SS soldiers and the midi to try to convey the theme.

The gameplay is one dimensional and pretty boring. It's very easy all with not a single difficult fight including the cyberdemon fight at the end. The map being almost 100% linear didn't help make it interesting. There was no need for the obnoxious exit switch which kills you instantly at the end either.

Keep on mapping but I'd say make a few maps before releasing another one. Iteration cycles are the key.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/twjnx8bztj20tw9/nazislayr.wad?dl=0
Track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxd8ml-n5NE

@leodoom85

The UAC Ocean Base by leodoom85 sells the feel of being in an underwater base very effectively.  You can see through the glass windows into other cramped, dimly lit corridors and has water flowing in through cracks in the walls.

Despite the map being so big you never feel lost which is helped by by the central hub area and smart enemy placement. You have to backtrack a fair bit but you know that's what you should be doing because new enemies have spawned in.

There are at least 3 memorable set pieces and one exceptional one (the rising red keycard) which really stand out amongst the submarine-like corridors. Detailing is great throughout with good, measured use of ZDoom effects.

Monster placement was well thoughout and gave you no cheap fights however I did find the map a bit too easy. I especially felt that the tiered circular room had wasted potential as it was a great little arena but with not enough battling going on in there. The final arena area felt the best balanced to me and I would have liked to seen more of that difficulty level throughout the rest of the map. Simple changes like spawning two archviles instead of one could make a big difference.

I recommend grabbing this map and giving it a jam, leodoom85 did a great job with this one.

Download/Thread: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=55822

FDA of Painful Cave by leodoom85: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsviYy01N2w

Edited by xvertigox

@xvertigox3 things for you:

• This is my first released map and glad that you liked it. And, if you saw the full description, the map is entirely on vanilla, like textures and such.
  • My original version had a LOT of chaingunners which cheesed the hell out of players and that was no fun at all. So I had to reduce the difficulty a bit.
  • Hey, the last zombie had a family and a great responsibility by guarding that door......

If you saw the full description, the map is entirely on vanilla, like textures and such.

I mentioned that didn't I? That it was just a custom midi? If not sorry, I meant to, it was in my review txt file of things to mention.

My original version had a LOT of chaingunners which cheesed the hell out of players and that was no fun at all. So I had to reduce the difficulty a bit.

Yeah, the difficulty scale was a fairly minor thing where it almost comes down to personal preference as it was still very enjoyable.

Hey, the last zombie had a family and a great responsibility by guarding that door......

: ' (

So, I would like to see how you play my oldest maps, before greymood and darkness flaw born(besides my speedmapping stuff). So here I go:

1. My first map ever I've put here. Gzdoom or zdoom is required. Don't fall in pit.

2.Basically two long corridors full of free meat. This one is made for boom.

3.Last map before greymood and my mapping break. This one can be a bit more pleasant than first two maps. Also made in boom format. 

I think you'll get it why I've never put them idgames. Links in those threads still work like a charm. Longest map is "northofhell", shortest "think about it". It's just like mapping evolution ;)

@Glaice

A quick E3M8 replacement by Glaice. Honestly, not too much to say about the map. It does what it needs to as an M8 replacement and is pretty damn easy.

It takes places in a big, marble arena and once you kill the spider mastermind it's GGs.  The arena itself looks nice with it's extremely high ceiling and gigantic windows. It makes me wish there was a bit more gameplay to make use of it.

Like I said in the video, I'm always happy for more maps from Glaice.

Download: https://www.doomworld.com/files/file/17516-ultra-dis/
Wiki page for more Glaice maps: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/User:Mrchris

@Glaice

An E2M8 replacement from Glaice turning the Tower of Babel into an actual tower and a very tall one at that. The maps shtick is that as you ascend the tower each time you round one of the corners you take ever increasing hordes of monsters.

It's another fun little map but I don't see myself going back to play it again. That's not to say it's bad but rather there won't be much difference in your second playthrough.

Maps like this further reinforce the idea in my mind that I'd love to see full episode replacements from Glaice.

Download: https://www.doomworld.com/files/file/17509-ultratower/

@Glaice

The third and final(/first) map in Glaice's M8 replacement series - Ultra - replacing E1M8.

The map description as per the readme is: "The conclusion to Phobos Anomaly in a slightly grander scale in terms of design and end episode opposition."  This sums up the map 100%. Same concept (bar dying at the end) but on a bigger scale. The arena looked good but again, not much gameplay. You circle strafe 28 Barons with your rocket launcher then exit the map.

I understand the concept that it's taking E1M8 and expanding upon the original idea and that's pretty cool but when you play it you're left wanting more. The same goes for the rest of the Ultra series.

Download: https://www.doomworld.com/files/file/17518-ultra-anomaly/

Man you have been busy. You release like 3 videos and written reviews a day. It's good.

I know my wad isn't to your taste but I'm keen for you to review it.

1 hour ago, Chezza said:

Man you have been busy. You release like 3 videos and written reviews a day. It's good.

I know my wad isn't to your taste but I'm keen for you to review it.

Thanks man, it's pretty damn fun so I do as much as I can. Since the wad wasn't made for pistol starts I'll do map01 and probably map02 first and take it from there. If I just warp to 08/09 and give myself weapons the ammo balancing will be off. I'll def play your wad though, it's been on my 'To Play' list.

My attempt at a megawad was posted here.

How did I miss that... I'll probably end up doing all of your individual maps as FDAs/Reviews then do each episode in the megawad as a single video FDA but no review, just my general jibberjabber.

@Chezza - Can you confirm if this was made for continuous play or pistol starts? I'm starting to think I may have confused this with another WAD someone sent me?

Map01 of a 9 level Brutal Doom mapset by Chezza. It's an introductory map so it's quite short and there isn't much to say. Looks-wise it's pretty decent and there are a couple of cool little scripted events. The texturing felt very 'busy' in places (notably the imp room). I'll be checking out map02 which presumably will be longer so I'll be able to get a better feel for the wad from that.

Download: http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/addons/operation-uac

Map02 of Chezza's 9 level Brutal Doom mapset gives you a lot more action than map01. It is still very easy on UV but we'll see how the difficulty progresses through the WAD as these maps are quite short.

Overall the map looks good - I especially like the ship's exterior. The detailing is fine but I think some of the texturing needs to be looked at again, most notably the outside rockwalls and the cave walls.

One thing that really jumped out at me was the Baron being invincible while going through his marine killing cutscene.

If you're a Brutal Doom fan this you should grab this wad and give it a go.

The strongest of the 3 maps of Operation UAC I've played thus far, both in visuals and gameplay. I like the small touches like beakers etc in the chem labs as well as the roomba enemies. The music track works really well with the map too.

This map is tougher than the first two but still very easy. The boss fight at the end might be broken where you can stand behind crates and just shoot it over the top of them.

Some variation in light levels would go a long way in giving this map more depth visually as it's pretty uniform in it's light levels.

Edited by xvertigox : Added map02 and map03

@Myst.Haruko

This is Mysterious Haruko's first ever map and it's surprisingly good. It's underdetailed but the fights are fairly enjoyable. Haruko has gone on to make some really cool levels which I've already played - Darkness Flaw and Greymood  - so there isn't really much critique to give since he seems to have figured it out already.

I'd say unless you've played Haruko's other maps and are curious about the early ones there isn't too much reason to download and play this but that being said it's pretty OK for a first map.

Download/Thread: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/91157-think-about-itmy-first-small-doom2-level/

Darkness Flaw FDA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKgqM2ULZsk

Greymood FDA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh1y8NBGYQQ

@xvertigox

Hey thanks for playing my first 3 maps. I gotta say, you are flying through them very easily. Looks like a higher difficulty would have better suited your skillset. I have designed my maps to be easy and gradually grow in difficulty.

You will find the challenge, designs and content more interesting as you proceed. The mapset is my first (and currently only) wad ever made. I have improved as I went. However lighting and outdoor segments is a weakness of mine, I have received similar feedback multiple times. I ought to go back to improve it.

It was a pleasure watching the stream, I'm really hoping you continue as I'm sure you will only enjoy it more and more. Keep up the good work.

Edited by Chezza

Ah well, things are taking much longer than anticipated with the maze map and mapping overall has been slow going, so i'm just going to plop this file here and request a playthrough of Map 14: Technoxic Dens, probably one of my alltime favorite maps that i've ever created. 

I'm able to 100% it in roughly 20 minutes. It's a gigantic map, but you only need to get one blue key to exit it, if you aren't interested in killing everyone.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hRVwwrGnq9dRsOjLUoWrAfqe2YhDg0ww/view?usp=sharing

I hope you enjoy it! 
Map 13 is also pretty good, if you enjoy this one and feel like a followup. Chao!

I'll copy this for @Myst.Haruko from my comment on the video:

1) Fairly plain map. Needs more detail. 2) Over reliant on ZDoomisms (IE ZDoom features, like flats on walls, fancy effects, etc) 3) Flow is a bit slow, corridors could be wider to allow for traversing between rooms. 4) Ammo a little tight. 5) First map should have been Vanilla/Boom compat, not ZDoom.

Well, this map was first back in 2016 and I really wanted to learn udmf, what you expected? I already did progress through year, check my recent work. 

Also, I don't see specified rules, that first maps must be only in vanilla/boom formats, when person is a newbie, he's still searching his path and mapping format which suits him the best. After my first release, I jumped into more vanilla mapping, so no problems. 

Edited by Myst.Haruko : More explanation

@Chezza

Map 4 out 9 of Operation UAC and the quality is definitely picking up. The map has more interesting features - particularly the conveyor belt/crusher set piece - but still lacks light variations and enemy concentration. The architecture would pop a lot more if there was varied lighting (or even colored lights in certain areas).

The detailing and level geometry are both good even if the level is quite linear. I'm hoping the later levels open up a bit more and let you explore.

Map 5 continues the trend of linear, 90 degree angles, low monster counts and uniform lighting. The lighting is especially noticeable on a sewers map.

The visual fidelity is there but with a lack meaningful engagements and flat lighting the map doesn't feel all that engaging. Traps are sprung but then you can just back out of the room and take out the enemies one by one.

I also feel that the trope of coming up on enemies facing away from you allowing you to mow them down is overused and reduces the already low enemy count.

With map 6 this mapset is definitely picking up the pace. The traps are nastier and and the arenas more impressive. Now you're getting locked in close quarters with cacos and mancubi and the archvile is introduced (albeit in an fairly painless fight). There's another instance of a scripted event, in this case a revenant killing an imp, during which the monster is invincible which looks silly.

The large lava area is quite impressive and has a few of the tougher enemies such as revenants. That being said it could use more of each enemy type. There's a hotel looking structure with some "rooms" occupied by imps when they all could be. There's two revenants on the top raining rockets down when you could easily have 4-6 up there.

The map culminates with a boss fight with what is essentially the maulotaur from Heretic. His attacks do a fair amount of damage but can be dodged without much effort. Monsters teleport in during the encounter however they are low tier enemies such as imps and lost souls. There's an invulnerability sphere that helps but I feel should be tagged for HMP and lower as without it the fight is straightforward on UV.

I'm glad these maps are ramping up and I'm excited to see where the next three go.

@Chezza

This map is inline with the rest of the mapset for the most part - difficulty and lighting need to be worked on. I really think the scripted enemy events where the enemy is invincible during it's (long) animation needs to be fixed or removed. It's annoying to have to wait to be able to kill them and it just doesn't make sense.

The map geometry is fine which honestly makes it feel like wasted potential when there's a lack of fights/difficulty.

This map features the standout sequence from this mapset so far. The trap after going through the red door was outstanding, it was very moody and creepy while looking awesome. I especially liked the sound effect of the lights shutting down one by one and the reveal of the face walls.

The large fight at the end could be improved by either teleporting something like a Baron into the entrance door or having monster closets there so the player is forced to stay in the room.

Although quite short this has been the most impressive map so far - at least when it comes to set pieces.  If you had the red key trap in map06 'Corrupted Caverns' then that would be far and away the best map.

There's room to extend the map by adding a connecting area to the red key room.

The 9th and final map of this mapset threw me a curveball. I expected it to be a big, set piece arena battle but in actuality a large portion of it is essentially a forced stealth section. The section was unexpected and enjoyable. There was one issue with a scripted event which I mention in the video. I think this section would make more sense in a different map, maybe one of the early ones? It's strange to go from a stealth section to a big boss battle. I'd take a look at the platforming section and make it a bit more forgiving because there aren't very many people who enjoy Doom platforming.

The hellish detailing in the map was really cool, notably the blood pouring from the ceiling.

The boss battle at the end was sufficient. It wasn't over the top fun because the boss had a hitscan attack, as well as projectile, which meant there was no movement skill required to dodge around but rather just peaking around the corner taking shots and hoping to not get hit.

All in all I enjoyed this mapset and recommend grabbing it if you're a Brutal Doom fan. With some revisions done this could go from a decent mapset to a possibly great one.

Thanks for putting the time and effort into this Chezza, it really comes through and I can tell you enjoyed making it.

Download: http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/addons/operation-uac

@Myst.Haruko

This was Mysterious Haruko's second serious attempt at mapping and is a huge step up from his first - Think About It.

The map does a great job of never letting you feel comfortable or relaxed. You're always clawing for ammo and health. It doesn't shy away from tough fights which is telegraphed with an early double archvile fight. The later fights are especially gnarly and could be improved upon because currently you need to spam rockets/plasma through a doorway and hope you get the archvile in the back. Making the areas more open with more health pickups would work well so you could actually manoeuvre around.

Unfortunately, the bugs that seem to plague this map (played in GZDoom) also never let you feel comfortable. There was an early section where there were chaingunners behind what should presumably be a doorway but there was a middle texture so you end up getting shot through a solid brick wall with no idea where it's coming from. There misc bugs like enemies heads sticking through the floor and lifts going nuts.

The red key room was particularly buggy with monsters teleporting seemingly randomly with no teleport animation. Once you dealt with the teleporting enemies and try to grab the red key you are teleported back to the red door. I couldn't figure out how to grab the red key as it was right in the middle of the teleporter so I had to noclip through the door.

Visually the map was fine with some good detailing but no real standout areas. Personally, I did find some of the texture choices odd and things like bookcases attached to ceilings with gaps between them and the floor didn't make much sense.

The map was enjoyable for the most part and a marked improvement on Haruko's first release but there's a lot of improvements to be made. If the bugs were fixed and some areas reworked to be more dynamic I'd be much more ready to recommend it to everyone. As it stands I'd recommend checking it out but also recommend going in without huge expectations. Later works like Greymood are another considerable step up in quality and I would play those first.

Thread/Download: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/93579-second-attempt-in-doom-mapping/

This map never made a sense, if you check layout, it's basically two long, grindy corridors without any thinking or planning. I wanted to submit it in DMP2017, but good thing that I've never did and this map would downgraded the quality. I was still new in mapping, searching my own style. I learned a lot from that map and how to not make maps that boring. At least, I'm proud of midi choice, but it could fit in better map. 

@xvertigox It was a real pleasure watching you play and I will take your feedback on board.

Lighting, Lighting, Difficulty, Lighting, Difficulty, Lighting.

Haha, seriously though I do want to revisit it all and do a major overhaul on lighting. Difficulty wise, I would simply recommend players with your skill level to play higher as it actually unlocks more traps, hidden rooms and challenges in addition to monster count. Even just have more doors shut behind the player on UV or higher can make a difference.

I'm waiting for the latest Brutal Doom update to be completed. Once done I will revisit it all. I already detected much of my scripting is broken and I have to implement a brand new second Boss. But it's a good reason to improve the wad.

7 minutes ago, Myst.Haruko said:

This map never made a sense, if you check layout, it's basically two long, grindy corridors without any thinking or planning. I wanted to submit it in DMP2017, but good thing that I've never did and this map would downgraded the quality. I was still new in mapping, searching my own style. I learned a lot from that map and how to not make maps that boring. At least, I'm proud of midi choice, but it could fit in better map. 

It seems like it was a useful stepping stone for you. It's much better than the first release but as you mentioned has layout / flow issues.

It was a real pleasure watching you play and I will take your feedback on board.

Lighting, Lighting, Difficulty, Lighting, Difficulty, Lighting.

Haha, seriously though I do want to revisit it all and do a major overhaul on lighting. Difficulty wise, I would simply recommend players with your skill level to play higher as it actually unlocks more traps, hidden rooms and challenges in addition to monster count. Even just have more doors shut behind the player on UV or higher can make a difference.

I'm waiting for the latest Brutal Doom update to be completed. Once done I will revisit it all. I already detected much of my scripting is broken and I have to implement a brand new second Boss. But it's a good reason to improve the wad.

@Chezza - I'm really glad you enjoyed watching that. Regarding difficulty, that must be a Brutal Doom thing since I did play on UV (skill 3 in console). From what I gather difficulties higher than UV in BD affect monster damage/speed rather than being an actual separate, taggable skill difficulty? I think with selecting UV/Skill 3 everything possible should have spawned? I tried a few different maps on skill 3 (UV) and skill 7 (realism/highest difficulty) and the monster count was the same according to the automap. Again, thanks for making this and great job for a first wad.

There is more scripting than meets the eye. The monster count at the start of the map is not the right indication of the monster count. For example, Play map 01 on the difficult setting just before Realism difficulty. Suddenly the Red Key is outside and you have to face a horde a monsters to get it. And if you go deeper, you can find a weapon as well.

Some extra hidden rooms and monsters open up in higher difficulties with more monsters spawning in some occasions.

Ahhhh, I see. My ignorance when it comes to BD is showing. If you make a heavily revised version I'd be happy to play through again on a higher difficulty and in one sitting.

7 minutes ago, xvertigox said:

Ahhhh, I see. My ignorance when it comes to BD is showing. If you make a heavily revised version I'd be happy to play through again on a higher difficulty and in one sitting.

Nah all good It's something I scripted into the Wad, not BD.