Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grimosaur

VINESAUCE DOOM MAPPING CONTEST 2.

I made a castle/hell themed map with the slight twist.

Not quite as detailed as some of the other maps here but I'm pretty proud of it. Especially compared to my last entry.

9cfdec9798570f759cf1cd673831ade4.jpg

7772c7a064bbc1f1433ae0fba11be1f8.jpg

518fa47fda66252eb6cf48d8198773b1.png

Screenshot time! I also went with a castle, but really wanted to try my hand with scripting and make my map more event-based rather than a classic Doom-style level. This is literally the second map I've ever made for this game, so there's gonna be quite a few mistakes. I don't think I'm gonna win, but I'm still proud with what I came up with. Screens are from the first 5-10 minutes of gameplay. 

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180228_004601.png.7720af0338fb29a5bdd6751b72c57880.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180228_004503.png.7bdb0b20869b842808695fc327824a71.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180228_004356.png.90fde650734515d3f9c622ed235106c7.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180228_004346.png.91b371e3b3522fe185dd6712c482546e.png

3 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

that's a lot of lines.

~35k to be exact :P Literally like 10,000 of them are for the voodoo dolls.

3 hours ago, PepsiBepsi said:

Nvm, Lemme go to Joel I quit lmao jk I look forward to seeing your map on stream 

My map is actually Boom compatible so regarding the "wow" factor it's actually fairly low. Folks like Dragonfly have done very impressive things, so it'll be interesting to see whether Joel is impressed by traditional Doom gameplay or something fresh and new.

3 hours ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

@dobu gabu maru As always, giant, detailing and very promising stuff! I recently got acquainted with your work in DMP2015. Probably the most original slaughtermap that i can go through without even shooting ... I hope Joel will not suffer so much? :D

Thanks! I actually added in stimpacks/medikits anytime it felt like my health was getting to low in the map, since I know Joel's likely to take hits here and there. I'm looking forward to seeing what you've cooked up this year.

I also decided to take part in vinesauce. I had something looking half-decent,but i think i fucked it up in last hour left till the end of mapping

3 hours ago, RolfTheWhatever said:

Screenshot time! I also went with a castle, but really wanted to try my hand with scripting and make my map more event-based rather than a classic Doom-style level. This is literally the second map I've ever made for this game, so there's gonna be quite a few mistakes. I don't think I'm gonna win, but I'm still proud with what I came up with. Screens are from the first 5-10 minutes of gameplay. 

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20180228_004601.png.7720af0338fb29a5bdd6751b72c57880.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180228_004503.png.7bdb0b20869b842808695fc327824a71.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180228_004356.png.90fde650734515d3f9c622ed235106c7.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180228_004346.png.91b371e3b3522fe185dd6712c482546e.png

Also, when my map is finished, I'd appreciate any criticism or comments. Even if I don't win this year, I'd still like to hone my skills to have a better shot for next time.

40 minutes ago, RolfTheWhatever said:

Also, when my map is finished, I'd appreciate any criticism or comments. Even if I don't win this year, I'd still like to hone my skills to have a better shot for next time.

That is the best attitude. :)

It's cool to see some people that started making their first maps on the first contest are jumping on the second one, im sure this contest will show better and improved maps all around, hope you guys stick around making maps

Pay attention to his Twitter until some sort of announcement comes. They do have to "moderate" probably two or three hundred WAD submissions first, that is, approve of their content and make sure they follow the rules that were set.

If we're lucky Joel'll pop his head through Doomworld's door at some point like he did with the previous contest - can't think of any other mediums of communication that he uses aside from Twitter and YouTube.

I wish/hope that I can email him a bugfix update for my map or something because there is an issue with the final encounter I didn't have the time to fix in time for the submission :/ It is also not possible to max since the teleporters going to the final area are only one way... At least it works how it is supposed to now though :D

Screenshot_Doom_20180301_152107.png.c9dbf884bfea2b7103ede4699adede40.png

2 hours ago, Mechadon said:

Originally I had plans for something more unique and I actually spent close to 2 weeks working on some custom textures just for this.  But the first layout I made ended up being too big and I wasn't completely happy with the texture pack.  If I had a bit more time though I probably could have made it work.

I like the looks of your other plan as well. I hope you can eventually do something with it. The map you ended up making is still badass though. Very quakey imo. I'd love to play it once joel releases all the maps.

54 minutes ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

My submission:

vinesauce-2018-map-04.jpg

I called it "Time Parallax - The Burial Vault"

For some reason in GZDoom, terrains + dynamic lights = D: (see floor)

I'm glad you got to finish it. Looks like you topped last years submission.

I made an update to the map which fixes some issues with the final area and emailed it to him, I hope he accepts it and doesn't just use the earlier version instead, that would kind of suck since it technically isn't 100% done (there is an exit but you can't reach it since I made the floor of the exit area the wrong height so the player can't step up onto it after the wall covering it lowers) :/

On 3/1/2018 at 9:08 PM, DMPhobos said:

gyvS2KC.png
double the wads then?

Imagine if each one only takes 5 minutes.

Sorry to temporarily bring back a dead thread, but this caught my attention. Attached is a screenshot of Joel's shareware stream (with timestamp for skeptics) which has autosaves of one of the maps that was submitted to this year's contest. All the saves are on the day it was sent in (since it was one of my friends who made the map), and is clearly at the end of the map too. It could be that his mods just sent him the engine with which they were testing the submissions, but I'm too curious to leave it at that.

DYQORT7WsAA-vhc.jpg

Message him on Twitter? I'm sure there's a sensible explanation.

Bear in mind he lives in Sweden, so his local time might be different to yours, hence the save timestamps appearing to be so close to the deadline.

5 minutes ago, Lazorinc said:

Sorry to temporarily bring back a dead thread, but this caught my attention. Attached is a screenshot of Joel's shareware stream (with timestamp for skeptics) which has autosaves of one of the maps that was submitted to this year's contest. All the saves are on the day it was sent in (since it was one of my friends who made the map), and is clearly at the end of the map too. It could be that his mods just sent him the engine with which they were testing the submissions, but I'm too curious to leave it at that.

DYQORT7WsAA-vhc.jpg

Yeah. That's my map. And my screenshot.

Anyways, I'm just as curious as Lazorinc is, but at the same time I don't really care because personally I think my wad won't compete very well alongside the other entries. But what makes me much more curious about this is the same thing Lazorinc had pointed out with the saves being on the same day I had uploaded it. Lazorinc didn't post too much detail about this (no offense), so I'll try and clear up some of this so there'll be less confusion when questions arise, if any at all. The date of the autosaves were indeed made the same day I had finished and uploaded the wad. I believe there was nearly about half a week or two before the deadline. But I also got curious and looked into it a bit more to answer my own curiosity. I'll try not to spoil much of my wad because all these autosaves take place at the near end of the level. Besides, I doubt a majority of people really care about spoilers of my level anyways.

Spoiler

In the map, there is a small hub with teleporters that lead into different sections of the level. After every transition, the screen fades out from white, and then performs a scripted autosave. This is important because two of the autosaves are these transitions in question. There are also scripted autosaves before (and sometimes during or after) the boss fights. So two of these autosaves take place transitioning through the teleports, possibly back from one section and directly into the final section of the level, and the last two autosaves are during one of the boss fights. So these autosaves mostly take place right before and during the final sequence.

Now, with that in mind, I think Joel or at least SOMEONE had played the wad in it's entirety, and very quickly too. I say "someone" because it's very possible one of his mods could've played the map, just like with what Lazorinc had said. The map would take nearly an hour long or less if the player would go through every room, fight all the bosses, finding the secrets and such. Looking at the amount of time spent during those autosaves, you can clearly see it took around only 20 minutes to reach the final sequence. The fastest time to beat the wad by, you know, playing as fast as humanly possible and knowing where everything is and all that to beat the level is around the same time. So it's very much likely Joel, or at least someone knows the layout of the wad extremely well.

Now with that out of the way, the next question I have is what source port was being used to play my map. The reason why I ask this is because of this screenshot from one of the autosaves that takes place right before one of the boss fights. Specifically, that takes place right after a cutscenes, but for some reason, the player isn't turned around, as it's supposed to be. The level was indeed played in Zandronum because for some odd reason, the script function "setactorangle(ActivatorTID(), 0.25);" which I had used doesn't work correctly for some reason in Zandronum. But it does work perfectly fine in GZDoom, which is what the contest specified, yeah? So I'm not sure why someone was playing it with Zandronum. Sorry if I went into too much detail about this, but I really just wanted to get rid of any unwanted confusion and/or questions, if any.

Anyways, like I said beforehand, I don't exactly care about it being leaked/revealed, or played prior, or whatever could be going on behind the scenes. But I just wanted to provide some more info about this so you folks can have a better understanding or whatever. Sorry if this post is extremely lengthy or something. I'm really bad at writing these kind of statements so that's about all I have to say about that.

I sent him an email with a bug fix version of my map a couple of hours after the deadline because there was a problem with the final area where the wall blocking the exit didn't lower all the way and the revenant horde didn't teleport in because I was an idiot and rushing and combined the closet walls with the exit one on accident :/ I hope he saw it and decides to use it instead...