Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

...unless you're rocketing a vile while hoping for getting a stunlock on it or something the SSGs advantage doesn't add much in actuality, because more often than not the usual fodder just dies before you'd need to stun it. Aside of that, the RL's "lesser stun chance" isn't a big deal when it comes to ousting stuff that has like +30% to 50% or so stunchance, because most of the time you get a stun on it with either weapon while the RL still deals more damage overall, unless we're talking cybies or so.

On 2/19/2018 at 6:01 PM, xvertigox said:

The tip of the chaingun sprite being fullbright is because of the "muzzle flash". At least I think so. I always assumed it was a bug but it just occurred to me that it was on purpose - correct me if I'm wrong.

On 2/19/2018 at 6:04 PM, cyan0s1s said:

The SSG and rocket launcher do the same thing.

Should've put it in further context to avoid confusion.

A floor height of 2048 takes around a minute to lower with the regular "to lowest floor" action. This is very convenient for making encounters with multiple phases or determining the length of a lock-in. Also works great in scrolling voodoo closets.

"Perpetual lowest and highest floors" line action doesn't start moving the floor always the same direction, but randomly. Sometimes it starts moving the floor up, sometimes down. (thanks Gez).

13 minutes ago, Xyzzy01 said:

Today I found out E2M4 has a +5 HOUR UV-Max demo done on it... someone please explain!

There is no serious explanantion I can give, but if you would ever like to torture someone who is at least decent at playing doom, you can just tie them to a chair, put a gag on them to get rid of the annoying noise a little bit and force them to watch that demo. I'm pretty sure it'll work just fine. Would definitely advise making sure the subject in question is unable to fall asleep during the whole thing for maximum effect. If you are uncertain as to how you can keep their head in position and their eyes open, feel free to send me a PM. I may have the "tools" you are looking for. And yes, I am evil.

so I had to download the demo and check it out. I had to seriously increase the game speed in PRBoom+ in order to figure out what the hell was going on. it starts normal enough, guy gets the secret, goes through the portal. Instantly upon going in, he wakes up the monsters, shoots one of them, and then goes through the teleporter and waits. For probably over 5 minutes, I can't tell for certain, I had the game speed up so high. It seems he was trying to get them to bunch up here and then once he felt like the time was right, he'd go in, camp around the corner into the slime room, wait for the imp to come on screen, and then shoot him. Do this until the four (repeat: four. fucking. monsters.) are all dead, and its even better since he misses once. You remember how ZeroMaster's impressive pacifist run of Doom 2's MAP02 had him forced into a corner for ages on end to get zombies to kill themselves with barrels and to get guys into favorable positions? Well, that's this entire demo in a nutshell, but instead of doing it to avoid dangerous monsters he does it on individual imps that could never pose a threat ever. He then backs to the wall and slowly slides in. And I mean slowly, it was cosmically slow despite hammering the kp+ key several times to make this go faster. Once a monster saw him, he'd duck around to the corner, wait for them to come, and then shoot them. Then its time to fight a demon. He gets on the lift, looks out, and punches the air. Fighting a demon is hard, man so he stands still and snipes it when it comes into view from up there. And then I lost all interest, holy shit.

These demos are absolutely fucking useless and I think they should be purged from the wiki. While I don't think grabbing the latest UV-Max record is a good way of demonstrating casually where all the monsters, items, and secrets are, if the wiki is going to have instructional demos like this, they should be actually informative and not a demonstration of someone playing so carefully they deserve the slowrunning medal. They must have the patience of a million saints, holy shit.

Edited by InsanityBringer

I think the demo should be kept, just for the sheer absurdity of it existing, haha! And yeah, you aren't missing much; it's pretty much the waiting game the entire map lol 

Since I hate myself I decided to watch further with the multiplier cranked up even higher. You know, I think this guy actually deserves a medal.

Taking nearly an hour to clear the crusher room (while actively trying to clear the room the entire time. Your time doesn't count if you stand in a place where absolutely nothing can be accomplished) is a record of itself.

That this room exists in Doom 2016. It's not even a secret.
(Res Ops, after the airlock with the Security in, to the right)

sincewhen.jpg

20 hours ago, InsanityBringer said:

while actively trying to clear the room the entire time. Your time doesn't count if you stand in a place where absolutely nothing can be accomplished

With this condition, it would be artistically interesting to ask champion speedrunners to complete E1M1 in 37 minutes. But I wouldn't stay to watch, because they would all go postal. :D

22 hours ago, Xyzzy01 said:

Today I found out E2M4 has a +5 HOUR UV-Max demo done on it... someone please explain!

That map was old even when the wiki started. Probably no one really cared what got posted to it. :>

For serious, there is indeed a project to replace these, although like most things on the wiki, you can see previous versions if you know where to click.

IIRC the demo described here was 6 hours 51 minutes, but was never uploaded because East Asian readers stuck with bootleg copies of Doom95 couldn't have watched it.

And it's brown like an Imp, and has a red eye like an Imp...

MY DEVIL, THE PAIN ELEMENTAL IS JUST A MUTATED IMP THAT FLIES AND BELCHES LOST SOULS!

299267_204013086334707_1598818687_n.jpg?

Reminds me of that discovery that the baron and pinky have the same spinal section. Fascinating use of copy&paste, cleverly masked for sure!

I'm under an impression that the eye is the only part of the Pain Elemental that isn't copypasted from something else. But maybe I'm wrong and even the eye is copypasted from a fireball or invisibility sphere or something.

Lazy? More like - brilliant. And, it went undetected for 25 years. Genius.

4 hours ago, rehelekretep said:

that the PE actually has arms at all!

pfft, that's crazy.  next someone will be telling me that the Spider Mastermind also has arms.

12 minutes ago, kb1 said:

Lazy? More like - brilliant. And, it went undetected for 25 years. Genius.

not really, people have been noticing this for years now.

The death explosions from the Icon of Sin can harm and kill the player.

I found this out the hard way.

In the inaccessible outside area of E1M6, the lines separating the main sector from the shadowy low sky sector are impassable.

noentry.png

thanks to maes's userphoto i learned that there is a 1px hole (or gray spot) that disappears and reappears in the back of the cyberdemon sprite...... thanks @Maes ......