Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mosshopper

Wild West Deathmatch

WildWestDeathmatch.png.36058121cb66b1feea73e5bdc3f79712.png

Wild West Deathmatch is a collection of 7 western-themed deathmatch levels, with maps 01-06 supporting CTF. Duke it out in a mexican village, fight in a town that isn’t big enough for the two of us, or engage in desert standoffs. Levels were created over the span of two to three weeks, all by yours truly, and tested with GZDoom and Zandronum. Includes a small singleplayer component, though without progression or level exits.

Screenshots

Spoiler

Screenshots.png.e192d5d7f97918990656d7f74b026b87.png

The first 6 maps

Credits

Spoiler

Gothic for Patched Up Textures

Enjay, Nightmare, Malinku, and Earthquake for Useful Doom Textures

Nick Baker for Useful Flats

Soutec and Azeraaron(Aware) for Fistful of Doom

Mike Judge & Co. for King of the Hill

monto-alto.com for the midis to Map01-map05

Johnny Cash - I Walk the Line(Map06)

Ennio Morricone - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly(Map07)

The Refreshments - Yahoos and Triangles(Intermission)

Andrew Apted for the Eureka Editor

/vr/ for playtesting with me.

Misc

Map07 uses the Mancubi to provide a sort of "boss battle" to the map. Killing him reveals the shotgun, so it is recommended that you play with monsters on.

WWDM.zip

Johnny Cash - I Walk the Line(Map06)

Ennio Morricone - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly(Map07)

The Refreshments - Yahoos and Triangles(Intermission)

Unless these music tracks are midi files as well, you can't release this online; they're copyrighted.

Eh, don't think anything is stopping you from releasing them to be honest, It's not the first time we see a mod use copyrighted music, Zombie Horde and Hell on Earth Starterpack for example use copyrighted tracks.

They are midis. 

Source: opened the wad and checked. 

Now that we've settled that, we can kill this bad derail before it starts.  

The more pressing issue with regard to the release of the wad is that these maps aren't good. Awkward to move around in (02, 04, 05, 06); questionable thing placement (all); layouts that are either designed in service of realism rather than gameplay or that are way too small to be functional maps (all). The sprite replacements are cute but strewing blocking decorations all around the playspace isn't good for gameplay. The main sin the layouts make is that lots of rooms or other enclosures only have one way to get in and out. Usually you want areas to be connected in multiple ways. You have some crates that might be interesting for fighting when they aren't so close to each other that movement is awkward or have tons of cacti in the way, but apart from that, there aren't many features that are interesting. Also don't rely so much on orthogonal "realistic" shapes -- abstract shapes would work better here. I'll leave elaboration on all of the above to those more knowledgeable. I'd suggest checking out some of the introductory guides in the MP forum, as well as playing and studying some DM maps to get a better sense of what works gameplay-wise. The sprite replacements are cute. With good map design (well, duh), this might be an interesting project. 

hm? this is pretty interesting, I actually started a western themed DM pack a long while ago but never finished it. Good luck to you.