Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stonedbaroness

Tell me [Half LIfe 2 rant]

Why is it that EVERY SINGLE TIME someone tries to make a half life 2 mod (Take for example, Hunt for freeman), THey try to polish and make the new assets and models look 4K HD and shit, and blend it with the original in game models? Their was never a mod where there was a Consistent Resolution applied to newly added models unless it was a recolor (Maybe SMOD does this), its always "Polished" but never fitting, same with the sounds and it bugs me. These people could put less effort into the modeling (Just enough to make it look nice) and hit a better sweet spot then instead of adding 325y134908674398056 polyguns in a game which has just enough polygons by default to trick the human eye into believing the smoothness. Come on guys, stay consistent, don't be distant from your material

ITS ALWAYS, If not, PLEASE GET ME AN EXAMPLE OF WHEN IT ISN't DONE (STILL FITS THE CRITERIA IF CSS MODELS ARE USED, Both V_MODEL AND W_MODEL)

d1_eli_020051s.jpg

Doctor Freeman, I presume?

Man of few words, aren't you? 

vomits

Here's a better mod, not surprised valve is now allowing these cheap mods to be sold as standalone games.

Edited by dmg_64 : meant standalone, oops.

Well, I clicked this here thread because I thought there was gonna be something that I might be able to tell you, but it turns out you're asking the wrong people to begin with.

There was that one free mod on steam for HL2 that had like recolored enemies and was like multiplayer/ coop rpg ? it ws really fun when i played it

I think most of these people want to get into gamedev so they create a few models that look great in Blender, then they create a mod with this stuff. It doesn't help that Half Life 2's strong point is the story and atmosphere, the basic gunplay is just average, most guns feel weak and the enemy ragdolling is retarded.

So they have the SDK and the assets, so they create ... something, which is a bit incoherent.

I just don't understand why/when Valve gives these guys licenses to make commercial projects.

The two I can think of are this one and Half-Life: Prospekt and while it's cool they are letting fans do this, it kinda leaves a bitter taste because the quality just hasn't been up to the original's standards.

I don't understand either. Other companies protect their IPs like hawks!

I get that Valve makes a cut of all the sales on their store but some of these fanmade bullshit will not sell well, it is crap, so we are talking about peanuts. Only Black Mesa is awesome! When the hell is it coming out though?!