Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Abyssal Speedmapping Session 35 - Saint Obligatory Drunken Stupor Day Special!

Previous session.

Yes, this month's ASS falls on the 17th of March, St Patrick's Day! And yes, we allow drunkmapping: nay, we encourage it!*. Time is 5pm EST, same as always, with a second session 12 hours later if Jimmy's up to it.

Timer!

*Abyssal Speedmapping Sessions does not encourage drinking if you are under the legal age in your country. Use yer noggin, kids.

Edited by Obsidian

14 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

Previous session.

Yes, this month's ASS falls on the 17th of February, St Patrick's Day! And yes, we allow drunkmapping: nay, we encourage it!*. Time is 5pm EST, same as always, with a second session 12 hours later if Jimmy's up to it.

I'll pop in a timer later.

*Abyssal Speedmapping Sessions does not encourage drinking if you are under the legal age in your country. Use yer noggin, kids.

lol :P

Also more ASS, yay!

1 hour ago, Obsidian said:

And yes, we allow drunkmapping: nay, we encourage it!

I should break my lifelong abstinence from alcohol just for this occasion.

Edited by Jimmy

If I participate, I'll be about 30-45min late to the session, but I'm sure I could pull something off. It'd be my first speedmapping session, so why not give it a go lol

Nice; glad to see another session scheduled! I'm totally getting in on this session; laptop isn't online (internet) yet but it starts up and didn't totally tank when I playtested the upcoming Iron Forge Heretic wad, so it looks like I'll be able to fully participate here. Hopefully I'm not late this time; between being late and misunderstanding what people were saying during the session, I thought we were wrapping up the maps 30 minutes after I started my map; the other 45 minutes I wound up with (after said misunderstanding) weren't well spent, as I had already given up the design/additions aspect of mapping and had moved on to testing/tweaking the gameplay, selecting a midi, and bug crushing. So yeah, it'll be nice to utilize more than 30 minutes on the map building portion this time, heh. Looking forward to fun times and fun themes :)

Faith and begorrah and twirl me shaleighle.

*Vertical leaps 20 feet and does a jig on the rooftop*

I never did this before, but I'm interested! Is there some FAQ / detailed rules post? All I gathered is that we get the required themes on the scheduled time and dates and then we have two hours? to complete a map.

I'm not an organiser but as a participant of past sessions it's pretty simple.

a short while before the event Obsidian sends out an invite link to the Discord server on this thread. You join the server (assuming you have Discord. If you don't, er, why don't you? :P) and then the announcement of themes etc is made, the texture pack(s) are distributed, and most people join the voice chat on Discord and have a good old laugh while you smash out your 'masterpiece'. The voice chat isn't mandatory but it really enhances the experience in my honest opinion.

It's a shame I won't be able to make it to this session! :(

Seems like I won't be making the main session either; have an aunt's birthday dinner that afternoon. I might try staying up for the early morning session, but uh, that's a pretty brutal time for my NA ass to get up to speedmap.

11 minutes ago, NuclearPotato said:

Seems like I won't be making the main session either; have an aunt's birthday dinner that afternoon. I might try staying up for the early morning session, but uh, that's a pretty brutal time for my NA ass to get up to speedmap.

lol Stay up? nah bro, sleep, than wake up early + red bull. That's my plan lmao

Unfortunately, I am out of town tomorrow so I won't be able to join in.

IT BEGINS! 15 minutes for preparation: music, textures, the works. A texture set will be included as one of the themes, but you're free to pick what resources you like.

Oh yeah, EXCEPT CC4-TEX. PLEASE DON'T PICK THAT.

THE THEMES ARE:

1. Heavy usage of this texture set.

2. Mandatory Partial Invisibility usage: starting the player on a PI, teleporting them onto a PI, that sort of thing.

3. Ice friction usage: refer to this if you need to know how to implement it in Boom.

BEGIN!

Because Obsidian spent about 45 minutes last time trying to find the 3 textures the last person to use that set chose for their map out of a list of god knows how much. Too much work for a set that's more throwaway than most projects around here.

(Not to say that the maps we make for this are throwaway maps or anything! Just that this is a very off-the-cuff kinda thing, and not really a project where we wanna spend a lot of time trying to compile shit).

((Swear to gawd, I'm gonna make a real attempt to get my ass up at 4 this morning to get in on the EU session)).

(((Boy howdy, I'm gonna get my "ass" privileges revoked if I keep trying to shoehorn the word into every sentence I write in this thread, aren't I? I blame the St. Patty's Day booze I've had))).

Name: SHAM!

Theme: Dat texture pack

Build time: 1 hour, 50 Minutes

Music: "Face of Evil" - Tom Mustaine

Bugs: Some HOMs, for what reason I dunno, also if the map is not MAP30, then spawned monsters will get stuck inside each other

SHAM

Edited by Xyzzy01

Name: It's Guriiiiiin Time!

Theme: Texture Pack, Manadtory invisible sphere

Build time: 1 hour and 30 minutes

Music: The mistery midi (from a wad played in the Joel's shareware doom cd stream called newfx or something like that)

Bugs: none

Description: St. Patrick day gimme inspiration for weeb stuff and yandere simulator references. And we don't party for st. Patrick. Also i'm back to ASS terrritories, yay!

guriiin.zip

Name: Beer Bressure

Theme: Slippery floors, texture pack, blur spheres! Everrrything!

Build time: 1 hour 15 minutes? And then another hour fixing all the errors.

Music: "dp5", speedmidi by Ribbiks

Bugs: Nope didn't mark the secret as secret.

ass-scypek.zip