Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Evolution

ZDaemon 1.10 Released

Now, en route to ZDaemon 1.11, with 100% more Hexen support for modding!

Just now, Oxyde said:

Now, en route to ZDaemon 1.11, with 100% more Hexen support for modding!

Rather 100% more extended nodes support :P

Nope, that hasn't and won't change.

Enjoy the release.

Note: To any server hosts that have been running beta or 1.09 servers, the necessary binaries are available on the ZDaemon website.

For Mac users (OS X), a Mac version is available courtesy of Lyfe.

Edited by AF-Domains.net

So why should people use your source port among others when it has no public source code and is actively hostile to launchers like Doomseeker?

In the end, if people want to use ZDaemon, that's fine.

If not, your choice.

However, that is left up to the user, simple as that.

As for supported launchers, that is our prerogative as well.

There's a wide-array of other ports, enjoy yourself.

is this much different than what has been hosted on servers up until now, or is this just a formality really.

How does a programmer get involved, to provide patches for latency compensation, improved bandwidth management or just any sort of bug or security fixes?

Use and develop a different port, is that your message to them?

The main difference at this stage tends to be that it's no longer in beta, this is a full release.

Protocol is finalised for this major version, demo recording is consequently enabled, and a few other fixes made it into this release.

Although admittedly out-of-date, there is still the 1.06.11 source that allows for experimentation and patch submission, even many years later, it is still quite doable.

Then we see about the best way of integrating it into the current code if the submission is deemed valid or necessary. Such submissions are noted in the changelog (credit where credit is due).

Getting involved is possible.

A programmer cannot get involved with out of date code. Security changes as code changes, bugs will be irrelevant and features will have changed. You need live up to date code for other programmers to get involved.

ZDaemon community has been strong throughout the years, and I hope it stays that way. It provides the best classic DooM experience, which the other source ports have altered quite a lot.

Oh, I didn't know ZDaemon was still getting updated..I guess slow progress?

>16:9 support
A lot of ports supported this a long time ago. Why is it suddenly supported now?

>BFG Edition IWAD support
Most ports got around to this rather quickly. This took some time.

>Server-Side Demos

>Improved demo compression
Always good.

>WAD downloads directly from the server
Isn't this what Doomseeker helps with?

>UT-style double jumping
What's the point in this unless you make maps requiring double jumping?

>Instant Teleporting (like quake)
Aesthetics..

As much as this is a new release, you'd get a lot of work and additional support if you would just open up the source code to others (like ZDoom and Zandronum) so it wouldn't be a millenia in between new releases of ZDaemon.

16 minutes ago, Rosh Fragger said:

ZDaemon community has been strong throughout the years, and I hope it stays that way. It provides the best classic DooM experience, which the other source ports have altered quite a lot.

Chocolate Doom and prBoom+ would like to have a word with you.

20 minutes ago, Glaice said:

Isn't this what Doomseeker helps with?

Technically no, because they have some sort of hate-on for Doomseeker and kept blocking the plugin from working. The only the only 3rd party launcher "supported" is the quite out of date IDE.

This also means the only downloader that works is the quite out of date getwad, which doesn't even support HTTPS.

So when are you doing a Doomseeker plugin then? If you feel you don't have time you could hand me the specs and I could do it for you.

If you feel you don't have time you could hand me the specs and I could do it for you. As a programmer.

Or is what you said before about "getting involved [being] possible" not actually true?

To spell it out, the ZDaemon Launcher and IDE/Doom Explorer are supported, others are not. End of.

This won't be pursued any further.

There are other ways to contribute.

I've noticed that Doom Explorer (formally IDE, so you really only still support one 3rd party launcher) is closed source. I'm sensing a trend here.

Is the fact that Doomseeker is open source is why you have a problem with it? Perhaps you don't want people to know something about your Master Server protocol. You haven't explained an actual reason so I can only really guess at this point.

I can't believe this ancient tutti-frutti bug is still in this version 😆
Anyway, thanks for update!

13 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

So when are you doing a Doomseeker plugin then? If you feel you don't have time you could hand me the specs and I could do it for you.

Myself use DoomExplorer because of this.

Great job folks, keep it up! This release probably did take a lot longer than it should have, but it's cool regardless. :]

46 minutes ago, Glaice said:

What's the point in this unless you make maps requiring double jumping?

I think you literally answered the question yourself, haha.

"I can't believe this ancient tutti-frutti bug is still in this version"

What are you referring to specifically?

Thus far there haven't been any reports of such.

Edit: If it's the one that goes back to .exe, then that in itself is a different classification.

Edited by AF-Domains.net

21 minutes ago, AF-Domains.net said:

There are other ways to contribute.

Such as? People can't contribute any code, despite what you claim, because there's no up to date codebase to use. People can't contribute 3rd party software, because you've decided (for no discernible reason) that you only allow one launcher (IDE/DE) can contact your master server.

... Aimbots? Is that what you want people to provide? It's about the only thing left.

I honestly don't get the point in keeping the source closed for a port in **2018** . I know it was a bit before Zandronum in its Skulltag days but they opened up. You're the only port I know if that has it closed tighter than the pontiff's cheeks.