Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

How to make Earth interesting in a Doom sequel.

How to make Earth interesting in a Doom sequel.  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Sequel to Doom 2016 take place on Earth?

• Should the game take place entirely on Earth?
    • Should only part of it take place on Earth?
    • Should it not take place on Earth at all?

Don't make earth look like a resource-deprived place. If Argent Energy is used to power mars (and it seems reasonable to think that they've been using argent energy for at least a year.)

I don't know where I heard this, but I think it's said that Argent powers the whole solar system, so obviously Earth would be using the energy and bounce back from whatever crisis they had before.

I would love to see Earth as a resource deprived place, the human population has grown too big and resources have been stretched thin. But thanks to the UAC, Argent energy keeps mankind surviving on our homeworld and off-world colonies. I'd like to see a Earth where the climate has changed for the worse, with crowded futuristic cities similar to Blade Runner. But if and when the hell dimension makes its way to Earth, the cities will be in ruins, monolithic skyscrapers toppled over and demons running amok with hordes of unwilling mindlessly shambling through the streets. But it doesn't even have to be exclusively urban settings, have some areas set somewhere in the wilderness, maybe even at night somewhere with the backdrop of an inky night sky with the eerie visage of the aurora borealis in the sky.

It doesn't even have to be only set on Earth, maybe the Doomslayer wakes up on Phobos after some catastrophic event occurs (which will) and he must return to the depths of hell and find the dimensional rift which let the demons get to Earth.

Edited by Ex Oblivione

I think the next DOOM's Earth should be like that of Half Life 2,but replace all Breens with Haydens.

Aldo,I'd really really like to see Hayden eaten by the crucible's power with a black and argent-red color scheme,maybe with some runes.

That's a completely random thought but if they're actually making a Hell on Earth DOOM5, I'm wondering if they're going to repurpose some of the assets/ideas from the cancelled projects. As much as I'd love to see Earth as it was in DOOM4 1.0, I think that a more futuristic approach would be more appropriate considering DOOM3/4 are set over a hundred years from now. But how about Prey 2? (that Bethesda killed because they're garbage) Worth noting that P2 had vertical mobility before it was popular so its levels were already designed with that in mind. In retrospect you can see this as a foreshadowing of how levels in DOOM4 are constructed - around 2:36 it almost looks like DOOM, even visually. That can maybe give a bit of an idea of how a futuristic city movement can potentially look like.

1 hour ago, Touchdown said:

That's a completely random thought but if they're actually making a Hell on Earth DOOM5, I'm wondering if they're going to repurpose some of the assets/ideas from the cancelled projects. As much as I'd love to see Earth as it was in DOOM4 1.0, I think that a more futuristic approach would be more appropriate considering DOOM3/4 are set over a hundred years from now. But how about Prey 2? (that Bethesda killed because they're garbage) Worth noting that P2 had vertical mobility before it was popular so its levels were already designed with that in mind. In retrospect you can see this as a foreshadowing of how levels in DOOM4 are constructed - around 2:36 it almost looks like DOOM, even visually. That can maybe give a bit of an idea of how a futuristic city movement can potentially look like.

Wow, you are right. Those platforms are very similar to the ones from Doom 2016, they even have those lights in the middle.

I would like to see a coupe of levels like that but not all of them.

The Doom 4 version is exactly the kind of level I DON'T want to see in a sequel. I mean you can have one but come on, I want some originality.

something like earth but all destroyed with news buildings of demons

the demons invading a earth , he destroy all people (not all) and next is make his home the earth

If you look at the scrapped version of Doom 4, it looks really good, but it seems it may have been sort of Rage-like.

I am guessing that Earth is a overpopulated and polluted megalopolis.  Most of it could take place in underground cities and large industrial factories.  Blue skies and pretty forests probably do not really exist anymore except in secluded ares reserved for the 1%.  Btw, what year does Doom 4 take place?

If I were in charge, I would have the player play the first part in the cities with hell levels later one.  Personally, I am all about the moon bases honestly.

6 hours ago, Zemini said:

I am guessing that Earth is a overpopulated and polluted megalopolis.  Most of it could take place in underground cities and large industrial factories.  Blue skies and pretty forests probably do not really exist anymore except in secluded ares reserved for the 1%.  Btw, what year does Doom 4 take place?

If I were in charge, I would have the player play the first part in the cities with hell levels later one.  Personally, I am all about the moon bases honestly.

Why does it all have to be cities? What about the UAC Headquarters?  A base in the Arctic? Tokyo? A level in a cathedral and its catacombs? Maybe the demons try (and eventually succeed) to blow up a supervolcano. I am all for a few city levels but I want variety.

For example, snow hasn't been done in Doom and was quite disappointed that the VEGA level didn't have a more expansive outdoor section.

The entire idea behind the Hell on Earth scenario is precisely to have a setting that allows for all that diversity - to see the effects of the demonic invasion on the planet. Maybe have the classic theme of demons slowly transforming the Earth into Hell itself. I'm personally against too many underground / industrial environments though because you can have that sort of stuff anywhere. That and snow because snow is generally pretty boring and monotonous.

I'd love to have some wilderness - that's something that hasn't been done in DOOM at all outside of community levels, but it remains to be seen whether id Tech 6 can do those types of environments at all. Sure, it's great for cold, metal, industrial buildings and wastelands but forests and dense foliage? They might just outright avoid that completely.

Part of the reason why I personally think DOOM5 will not be set on Earth.

I saw a pair of really good suggestions here, and I wanted to try and combine them.

Earth does have a sort of pristine, "Mirror's Edge"-style approach -- with major cities, that is (We don't get to go through these cities until later). These utopian metropolis' are the ones running off of Argent energy. Meanwhile, in less fortunate towns, the foundations for buildings simply don't exist anymore and are basically what we see in the initial Doom 4 trailer (these ones you play through at the start of the game).

You fight through the demon invasions in these fallen cities, eventually making your way down to Hell.

After you return from your vacation to the 9 Circles, you see those once-beautiful paradises from before now in ruins. It's barren. The only sign of life is the demonic invasion.

EDIT: As for the soundtrack, the music played on Earth is industrial (except the combat is, of course, metal), with the guitar riffs and whatnot [somewhat] being reserved for Hell.

I mean, I don't think it's a fantastic idea, but if done right I think it could be a blast.

Edited by Pyrolex

17 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

Why does it all have to be cities? What about the UAC Headquarters?  A base in the Arctic? Tokyo? A level in a cathedral and its catacombs? Maybe the demons try (and eventually succeed) to blow up a supervolcano. I am all for a few city levels but I want variety.

For example, snow hasn't been done in Doom and was quite disappointed that the VEGA level didn't have a more expansive outdoor section.

Where are such place on Earth that has a elaborate catacombs/cathedral that would make a good doom level?  Basically it wouldn't have to be some made up fantasy level.  You might get buy some levels in the desert/arctic or anywhere humans are unable to live; but from the what we know, Earth is a pit.  Maybe there will be a level/hub that is one large biodome which will act as variety.

I said sometime ago that i would like to see a doom that happens in earth while doomguy is fighting in mars or hell, it could be a prequel and a sequel at the same time.

From my perspective a DOOM set on Earth could be either Doomguy coming back to Earth or either playing from one of the perspective of the survivor's who was able to survive the demon invasion. (kinda what the original DOOM 4 was trying to achieve)

22 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

im doing UAC headquarters, GET YOUR OWN IDEA!  

just kidding.  but seriously...kidding. but seriously.

you can literally make it like you were a guy stuck in a building that is under siege by demons...there are a million ideas man.

3 hours ago, Maisth said:
3 hours ago, Maisth said:

I said sometime ago that i would like to see a doom that happens in earth while doomguy is fighting in mars or hell, it could be a prequel and a sequel at the same time.

From my perspective a DOOM set on Earth could be either Doomguy coming back to Earth or either playing from one of the perspective of the survivor's who was able to survive the demon invasion. (kinda what the original DOOM 4 was trying to achieve)

thats exactly how i felt and decided to do the response team to the original disaster.  because id love to see something happening parallel to the doomguy.

Where are such place on Earth that has a elaborate catacombs/cathedral that would make a good doom level?  Basically it wouldn't have to be some made up fantasy level.  You might get buy some levels in the desert/arctic or anywhere humans are unable to live; but from the what we know, Earth is a pit.  Maybe there will be a level/hub that is one large biodome which will act as variety.

holy shit thats a good idea,  if nobody is picking that up...im doing it for my next map pack.  (maybe even a cameo from pauley shore)

On 3/7/2018 at 4:55 PM, Zemini said:

The answer to your question is France.

Actually that horror movie set in the catacombs of France was pretty interesting. Some fans could make a cool DOOM short film there.

France, Tokyo, Arctic Base. Actually, maybe they COULD pull of an interesting Earth setting. As long as it's not a boring American suburb or the nth iteration of New York.

Personally, i would like the final stretch of the game be like d2twid. And that petersen would come to direct it!

What we need more than anything, is a willingness to go off the deep end when it comes to the hell influence. I really want to see something beyond the Christian fire/brimstone motifs. 

Personally i'd actually really like to see a really grounded visually interesting but entirely believable Earth setting, and then spend the literal first third of the game having it warped and distorted and twisted before your very eyes. Take notes from Evil Dead or Ghostbusters or Aliens.

Things like a bridge fusing with cars and their passengers and having it curl up into a giant mechanized Hell Hand. Have buildings consumed by flesh, cut open by shards of glass bleeding fountains of blood down onto the on lookers below.

Imagine if it began similar to something like what Titanfall looks like, but is over-come by the insanity of Doom 3 and 4's Hellish macabre grotto... And then reality itself begins to bend with floating structures, and bone fusing with steel. Imagine all the familiar hall marks of a cityscape, all the utilitarian aspects, and now imagine they're being transformed into forms of torture and abstract horror.

The weird thing about Doom II's earth levels were how they were often composed of brick, stucco, and so on - not at all futuristic. If the sequel to Doom 4 is set on earth, it should be very futuristic just like the bases, but more urban/cyberpunk.

I hope for tons of hell locations in new Doom. It must be pretty stupid to made Doom is only about hell invasion on Earth.

@qdash agree.

I even tried to made some "city/urban" style snapmap, but editor isn't perfect.

Some pics:

6f2609d9-9e90-4d8a-9199-6464580d66b7.jpg.b1a2bd60d60627578468431d293bfc70.jpg83e3c729-89ec-4ea4-b6fe-eab54408785d.jpg.1130a6f91dac252b5623199970d31df8.jpg3356acb4-6353-4f9f-b21d-f95ff070ac83.jpg.3fbbf9f92ace965d4e9e95a2ade5dc61.jpg85deb2a8-a97f-4df7-8584-500aba3824c8.jpg.05b476a97e43352859660176c247608a.jpg

That's quite impressive! I bet you'd be able to make something quite special if you had proper tools.

I've always thought the blocking modules from Snapmap were kind of like a primitive form of brushes.

@dmg_64 no, I'm using very low sensitive in snapmap option (around 4) but it takes a bit of time to move them :)

@DooM_RO they are, it's painful to move them around. Doom 3 brushes are much better.