Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Isolation

PSX DOOM: Fall Of Triton (OUT NOW)

completely share your opinion :) PSX DOOM is shlick!

screens look promising but I hope you didn't space all maps this wide open hehe

I'll try to play it as soon as I finish my project!

until then

cheers

This will make an excellent addition to my ever growing wad collection.  Thanks for making it and I can't wait to play it :)

I couldnt resist and played a couple of maps :D namely until Triton Technoly

Let me start with a couple of good points:

-you have a good grasp of level design as in "what needs to be inside a level"

-your decoration is thought-out but has a slight problem which I will refer to later on

-the first few levels were quite enjoyable, slow but steady ramp up of weapon usage

-enough enemies and trigger rooms to deal with so it doesnt get boring for just a couple seconds

the first few levels were quite enjoyable but either I've played this game too much or I have some valid (in my opinion) basic improvement of mapping concept that I shared with most of let's players I've watched over the years and these are as follows:

- you have lets say 25-33% too much spacing in between corridors and rooms which leads to too many "things" as in obstacles/decorations and monsters that need to fill the "void"

- you would not only need less variation but also less things to stuff into your map to make them more 'compact' and they would feel even better!

- did you play your maps through and thought about ammunition? I think theres a little too much and I can always use the shotgun as much as I want to (which isnt necessarily a bad thing but mabye a little tooo comfortable :)

I swear I thought 50% of the time if it would be a little more cramped this would be freaking awesome, but as of now it is just easy cruising for me and shotgunning without ever beeing threatened too much^^ again, maybe I've played this game too much..

I've never seen a chaingunner beat a Hellknight though today was a first....

Screen1: These kinds of rooms give the DooMish feeling, but the spacing is a little too big,

Screen2: tiny nitpick but this is what gives maps the smoothness or steals :P

Screen3: took me like 2 edges and 10 dodges bites from the nightmare until revenenant boy did his first shot to trigger him...

Screen4: I didn't think about thse kinds of decorations^^ shlick idea

Screen5: That was a wtf moment but a really good one

Thats all for today,

cheers

Screenshot_Doom_20180306_221432.jpg

Screenshot_Doom_20180306_221155.jpg

Screenshot_Doom_20180306_222003.jpg

Screenshot_Doom_20180306_221405.jpg

Screenshot_Doom_20180306_215815.jpg

Your choice of coloured lighting for certain levels seems odd, and there's a lack of shadow or darker colour in certain spots.

11 hours ago, RedemptionDenied said:

I couldnt resist and played a couple of maps :D namely until Triton Technoly

Let me start with a couple of good points:

-you have a good grasp of level design as in "what needs to be inside a level"

-your decoration is thought-out but has a slight problem which I will refer to later on

-the first few levels were quite enjoyable, slow but steady ramp up of weapon usage

-enough enemies and trigger rooms to deal with so it doesnt get boring for just a couple seconds

the first few levels were quite enjoyable but either I've played this game too much or I have some valid (in my opinion) basic improvement of mapping concept that I shared with most of let's players I've watched over the years and these are as follows:

- you have lets say 25-33% too much spacing in between corridors and rooms which leads to too many "things" as in obstacles/decorations and monsters that need to fill the "void"

- you would not only need less variation but also less things to stuff into your map to make them more 'compact' and they would feel even better!

- did you play your maps through and thought about ammunition? I think theres a little too much and I can always use the shotgun as much as I want to (which isnt necessarily a bad thing but mabye a little tooo comfortable :)

I swear I thought 50% of the time if it would be a little more cramped this would be freaking awesome, but as of now it is just easy cruising for me and shotgunning without ever beeing threatened too much^^ again, maybe I've played this game too much..

I've never seen a chaingunner beat a Hellknight though today was a first....

Screen1: These kinds of rooms give the DooMish feeling, but the spacing is a little too big,

Screen2: tiny nitpick but this is what gives maps the smoothness or steals :P

Screen3: took me like 2 edges and 10 dodges bites from the nightmare until revenenant boy did his first shot to trigger him...

Screen4: I didn't think about thse kinds of decorations^^ shlick idea

Screen5: That was a wtf moment but a really good one

Thats all for today,

cheers

Screenshot_Doom_20180306_221432.jpg

Screenshot_Doom_20180306_221155.jpg

Screenshot_Doom_20180306_222003.jpg

Screenshot_Doom_20180306_221405.jpg

Screenshot_Doom_20180306_215815.jpg

Thanks for the kind words and the feedback. But I must warn you, the later levels have a lot less ammo on the hardest difficulty so you need to be a lot more careful how you fight some areas because certain levels can be evil for first time players. I recommend monster infighting in some maps!

Once again, thanks for the feedback (:

1 hour ago, Gez said:

What's happening with the statusbar in @RedemptionDenied's screenshots? Why is there the PC Doom status bar behind it?

Also how comes @scalliano hasn't seen this yet? :p

I tried it out the other day on GZDoom.  I didn't have this exact issue but I did notice the statusbar was overly large compared to my default one.

49 minutes ago, xvertigox said:

I'm at work so can't check atm but does this run with Chocolate Doom?

No way, no how. This sould be obvious from how colored lighting, nightmare monsters, animated fire skies, and 40-map campaigns are all things that are impossible in vanilla PC Doom and therefore also impossible in Chocolate Doom, as per Choco's mission statement.

2 hours ago, Gez said:

Also how comes @scalliano hasn't seen this yet? :p

Champions League, mainly :P

Absolutely gonna be all over this like a weeping rash at the weekend. Great to see more mappers embrace the Williams way.

53 minutes ago, Gez said:

No way, no how. This sould be obvious from how colored lighting, nightmare monsters, animated fire skies, and 40-map campaigns are all things that are impossible in vanilla PC Doom and therefore also impossible in Chocolate Doom, as per Choco's mission statement.

Can't believe I didn't pay enough attention to see the colored lighting in the screenshots..... Makes me question the work I've done so far today.

I'm SO playing this. I have a notorious weakness to the PSX version of Doom :D

Hello RockHardGamer 45,

Why you don't use the 16:9 psx hub, the file is named PSXORHUD.pk3 and this location is the mods folder of the last version of PSX DOOM TC .

I find it a better visual with this additionals rectangles.

I try to overwrite your hub with this file but there is a conflict as the second screenshot shows it .

I finished the first 7 levels it look great , I love the psx doom ambience.

Thank for the megawad

2Screenshot_Doom_20180308_174438.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180308_173826.png

1 hour ago, FrenchGuy said:

Hello RockHardGamer 45,

Why you don't use the 16:9 psx hub, the file is named PSXORHUD.pk3 and this location is the mods folder of the last version of PSX DOOM TC .

I find it a better visual with this additionals rectangles.

I try to overwrite your hub with this file but there is a conflict as the second screenshot shows it .

I finished the first 7 levels it look great , I love the psx doom ambience.

Thank for the megawad

2Screenshot_Doom_20180308_174438.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180308_173826.png

Seems a few people are having issues with the stbar.  I hope he gets something worked out with it.  Currently I think i'll just play it with NC HUD.  May kill the PSX look but I can deal with it.

20180308133329_1.jpg

no offense but if my doom looked like this... I'd kill myself
this looks like some futuristic bs instead of classic psx doom with the big bars
(pls dont take it too personally just another opinion of a classic psx doomer) :)

6 minutes ago, guitardz said:

20180308133329_1.jpg

43 minutes ago, RedemptionDenied said:

no offense but if my doom looked like this... I'd kill myself
this looks like some futuristic bs instead of classic psx doom with the big bars
(pls dont take it too personally just another opinion of a classic psx doomer) :)

No worries.  I have been playing Doom since 1995 but I embrace modern conveniences like mods and HUD overhauls.  I like the clean look of NC HUD sometimes, and the old school look other times.  It all really depends on if the wad or mod I'm playing comes with it's own custom HUD or not.  I like the PSX HUD, but currently the one in this is a bit problematic, so I'll just use my NC until it gets fixed :)

Started playing this. Up to MAP07. I had forgotten how slow the Revenant moves in PSX. Tons of open space. Not a fan of colored lighting when it's used too much. It's a choice, I guess. I wondered why the wad was so big, since the maps were not overly huge or dense, so I opened it in Slade.

Dude, you need to clean up your wad. It's a mess. Almost all your sounds and music are in the wad twice. PSXCLUBD, PSXCRDTS, PSXEND1, PSXEND2 and PSXINTER are in the wad six times. Most of the HUD graphics are in the wad seven times (with different Hudbars and Hudbarfds. That may be the problem some people are having). If you just delete the duplicate music and sounds, it cuts 105MB out of the wad. You have multiple compiled ACS scripts with the same name but different sizes. I don't know if ports load the first and ignore the rest or load the last one they find. Your Decorate has some duplicated monster definitions. There's an entry named 'Titlemap', but it's not a map. It's a wad inside a wad, so it'll never be read. And you have the Acid Demon sprites in the wad, but they're not actually called in your Decorate. I'm guessing you started out using those green sprites for the Nightmare Spectre.

There are a lot of empty Markers in your wad. I assume those were entries that didn't copy correctly, which is why you had to copy multiple times. I know Slade has a problem with copying entries when the file gets too large or you're copying too much data at once. Some data fails to copy and leaves empty entries. You should think about using a .pk3 structure with folders to help organize your data.

Otherwise, okay so far. Feels like what I remember PSX was. It's been awhile.

Your decorate code contains quite a few actors defined twice, and in mapinfo there is a "next" in the cluster definitions where it should not be. This leads to quite a bunch of warnings when loading the wad. I took the liberty of fixing all of these mistakes so the mod loads flawlessly. See files in attachment.

triton_fix.zip

Damn, this feels authentic. Definitely gonna finish this. Up to MAP05 so far and I'm really enjoying it. First couple of maps had me worried as they were a bit easy, but things weren't long picking up.

Spoiler

The bit with the red key in MAP04 reminds me of something... ;)

But yeah, have to second what Effingham said about the .WAD structure. I mean, mine is bad, but there is so much unnecessary bloat in there that I reckon you could cut the filesize by at least half.

3 hours ago, scalliano said:

I have zero knowledge in doom mapping and modding but i'm very curious of your hud.How did you change it ? 

Horrible, ugly hacks. Basically I stripped the HUD (all three copies of it) out of the .WAD completely and loaded the whole thing on top of the PSX TC. The problem is that this .WAD uses an old, deprecated version of the PSX statbar, whereas the one in the actual PSX TC is newer and more robust.

Tried the first few levels of this and generally enjoyed it, though it seemed somewhat less challenging than most regular Doom megawads (which was true of the original PSX version too, I suppose). I think I'd want to play your version just for the sounds and atmosphere if nothing else...

I also idcleved to map 32, and see what you mean about ammo provision and the role of infighting (playing on UV). Also amazed to see the Barons and Hell Knights tearing each other apart - I don't remember that from PSX Doom, but I suppose it must have been a feature of it. The Dark Cyberdemon (or whatever it's called) was an interesting addition too.

10 hours ago, scalliano said:

Horrible, ugly hacks. Basically I stripped the HUD (all three copies of it) out of the .WAD completely and loaded the whole thing on top of the PSX TC. The problem is that this .WAD uses an old, deprecated version of the PSX statbar, whereas the one in the actual PSX TC is newer and more robust.

It's interesting. Thank for the explanation.