Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rocketman

Where does Episode 2 take place?

I know that it takes place on Deimos, but the Episode is titled "The Shores of Hell". It's like the game wants the player in two different places. I'm kind of leaning towards Purgatory, but he doesn't go to Heaven, but rather Hell. I don't know, but I personally think Deimos is Purgatory.

E2 clearly shows how techbase is turning into hellish place. Emergency shimmering lights, marble faces, black sand in E2M8.

Doom 2 maps lack that feeling.

You've done it! The hideous bad take lord that ruled the lost Doomworld discourse has been slain and you are triumphant! But...where are you? You clamber to the edge of the forum and look down to see the awful truth. Doomworld floats above Post Hell itself!

On 3/7/2018 at 5:56 PM, riderr3 said:

E2 clearly shows how techbase is turning into hellish place. Emergency shimmering lights, marble faces, black sand in E2M8.

Doom 2 maps lack that feeling.

But Phobos Anomaly was also altered because it was the interdimensional gateway to Deimos. 

On 3/7/2018 at 7:00 PM, bonnie said:

You've done it! The hideous Cyberdemon lord that ruled the lost Deimos moon base has been slain and you are triumphant! But... where are you? You clamber to the edge of the moon and look down to see the awful truth.

Deimos floats above hell itself! You've never heard of anyone escaping from hell, but you'll make the bastards sorry they ever heard of you! Quickly, you rappel down to the surface of hell.

Now, it's on to the final chapter of Doom! --Inferno.

VICTORY2.png.045d9358c4d0119f8eca0745b9e041aa.png

That intermission text still gives me the chills....

Recently I thought E2 base reminds me of a prison complex, particularly in E2M1 and E2M4-M6 where brick and concrete textures are common.

It still bothers me that Deimos doesn't look spherical like a moon, but a floating island.

EDIT: Yes, I'm dumb. I forgot. It's still more spherical than in the picture though.

Edited by pulkmees

6 hours ago, pulkmees said:

It still bothers me that Deimos doesn't look spherical like a moon, but a floating island.

I always thought it wasn't the entire moon that got sent to Hell, just the chunk of it that the base was on.

Erebus is on Mars. I assume Deimos and Mars were pulled into Hell or a Hell like area. Event Horizon.

3 hours ago, 94's the best style said:

Mars' moons don't have enough mass to form spherical shape.  They're very small, with larger Phobos only 22.2 km (13.8 mi) in diameter (for comparison Moon is 3 474km in diameter. 

It's encouraging that such an intellectual discussion has emerged from such a hypothetical question about a 24-year old game. [No sarcasm, btw.]

5 hours ago, 94's the best style said:

Mars' moons don't have enough mass to form spherical shape.  They're very small, with larger Phobos only 22.2 km (13.8 mi) in diameter (for comparison Moon is 3 474km in diameter. 

Hmm, shit, I actually knew this but forgot about it. Although it's still a bit too flat for my liking. I guess it being only the base area would make more sense, but I guess they went with whatever looked cooler.