Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scypek2

Are you interested in wads using heavy DeHacked trickery?

Are you interested in wads using heavy DeHacked trickery?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in wads using heavy DeHacked trickery?

• Nope, I like my doom mods classic in EVERY WAY.
    • Hell yeah! Party like it's 90s!
    • Okay, why not. As long as it works in GZDoom...
    • Meh. Get on with the times!

So yeah, since limitations breed creativity, I decided to make pretty sophisticated gameplay mod using only vanilla DeHacked (I already made some decent progress too, by the way). But I also like getting attention, so I wanted to find out how the community today feels about this type of thing. Is this too quirky? Not quirky enough? Both? Give me your opinions.

(Not certain if it's the right subforum, but it didn't feel specific enough for Wads & Mods. This is meant primarily for general discussion, not just for my mod)

i say go for it

i've been thinking about the possibilities of making ROTT-like atmospheric traps with dehacked

blocking industrial pillar pipes that thrum with water pressure and "attack" with gouts of steam; attacking acid drips a la the ones from Aliens TC; i've already experimented with props which revive bodies around them or intermittently burst out lost souls cos that's so easy to do in BEX!

weapon mods are exciting too but my mind races when thinking about the possibilities of changing doomguy's surroundings in new ways

i've been working on a secret dehacked-heavy project for a week or two now and seeing your mod has ruined me

yours looks so much better :c

we even have the same saw blade launcher too ;~;

now i'm scared to release mine because people might think i copied your genius

heck

i will, however, use that axe as inspiration to make one of my weapons super gooder

thank you

Edited by bonnie

Mad dehacked experiments can be an amusing source of entertainment for a few minutes, but they have little to do with Doom as I love it. I call them "heh material": check out the introduction thread/video, chuckle, go back to playing normal Doom.

I think Strain was a rare case of a weird dehacked wad done right, although even it became too silly somewhere in the second half.

2 hours ago, bonnie said:

i've been working on a secret dehacked-heavy project for a week or two now and seeing your mod has ruined me

yours looks so much better :c

we even have the same saw blade launcher too ;~;

now i'm scared to release mine because people might think i copied your genius

heck

i will, however, use that axe as inspiration to make one of my weapons super gooder

thank you

Worry not, dehacked weapon modding offers too many possiblities to fit into one mod - I'm sure you can come up with something unique!

Just off the top of my head, one unique thing would be some sort of time bomb weapon - a projectile, probably slow and gravity-affected, that explodes on death but not instantly. Maybe it could explode more than once to make up for being slower than shooting a rocket?

Or "radioactive missiles" like the rocket replacement in Sky May Be. Only with some delay before starting the loop of explosions so that the player can fire them safely without having to run backwards at the same time to avoid damage.

Good luck on your super secret project! I played your Sewers map by the way, and it had a cool unique vibe to it. So I'm sure your dehacked project is gonna be interesting too!

i have indeed experiemented with ideas like those before, and i have a super duper secret idea for a dumb awful gimmick that i plan on using in conjunction with my three or four awful custom monsters

i also have an alternative gimmick that is less dumb and awful that i'm mildly excited about but nobody will care because it's not original (i'm still excited for it though)

thank you again for your kind words

I like the idea of using dehacked to make interesting mods for Doom, though I've never really messed with it myself. I have messed about with Heretic's flawed version, HHE, but haven't done too much with it given its lack of support and it being a general pain in the butt to use. Using the program itself isn't too bad though and is actually kinda fun. Would love to see an HHE that doesn't have the same problems as what we have now, and hopefully following that some more Heretic mods using it, which would then lead to better port support as well.

I like seeing dehacked in vanilla levels, I added a few bits and pieces in my luna AI map which I thought added a few variations to what is a standard vanilla map. I do find its lack of flexibility slightly frustrating!

However bex/extended is a lot of fun to play with!

@Fonze I was under the impression that hhe was only good for changing level names and a few other bits. I don't have any experience with it myself but considering the amount of projectiles its probably fairly flexible for weapons etc, what say you?  

I didn't really mess with weapons tbh, my main focus was on replacing monster frames to make space for new monsters, which kb1 and I were hex-editing to add additional functionalities, but from what I understand it's fairly rigid. It has its uses, but it's not without its drawbacks; we noted that after editing even a few, select frames, other frames wound up messed up that we hadn't touched, such as a weapon spawn becoming a monster, and that was even with the correct version. 

My verdict was that it wouldn't accomplish on its own the changes I needed for my mod, so I stopped looking into it in favor of mapping instead. Maybe by the time I'm done making maps for the mod, better tools will be available.

Okay, why not. As long as it works in GZDoom... Zandronum

I usually play most wads with Zandronum and occasionally GZDoom but I really love wads that use vanilla limits and DeHacked in creative ways. Those things just make me freeze mid-game and just stare and admire it. Also respect the author's work, or in this case, workarounds.

It's worth noting that DeHacked has a unique position because of the desire for vanilla modding. Part of what makes Doom so great to some of us is the fact that it can run on pretty much anything with ease. That aspect of Doom comes into question when the shiny new mods for advanced ports like GZDoom become so prominent. My old laptop couldn't render the environments in GZDoom for shit because of how dated it was, but I could run Epic 2, or the nightmare that is All Hell is Breaking Loose no problem. If modders like you can continue to push DeHacked limits in this way, more people may be able to appreciate what is achievable with the Doom engine.

Of course, I'm more than likely in the minority.