Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SayWhatOneMoreTime

Anyone else get this feeling?

Does anyone else feel regret or anything other than nothingness after killing in any game? Like for example if you kill an npc that was doing nothing to you and they were just minding their own business and you just come along and ruin their day/fake life? I don't know, I just started feeling like the people I kill in any video game is a real person and all them are trying to tell me something.

I used to cast aggression spells on townspeople in Oblivion, and cackle at the resulting brawl.

I rarely senselessly kill NPCs anymore. If I were to do it now it would feel morbid more than anything.

I'm only like this in games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls. I can't kill normal NPCs and be able to continue, only enemies and bandits and the like. I'm not an evil character ever, I can't even play evil on purpose. I end up deleting that save and going back to being good.

I don’t like NPCs etc. dying on my watch. It’s not a huge deal but I always avoid unnecessary deaths, particularly with animals. The only time I ever purposefully killed a non-combatant in a game was in Morrowind when a particularly snooty quest-giver called me “Outlander” one too many times. I then followed him to his home and straight up murdered him. But yeah, just that one time.

Depends on the game, this has so far happened to me only in Elder Scrolls.

Sometimes I ran into annoying NPCs and well, they "just lose their living priviledges" for bothering me, but I would regret the deed shortly afterwards and just reload an older save and problem solved. Also the same goes for hurting NPCs, can't stand hearing them tell me "Are you proud of what you did", "Please don't hurt me again", yeah, I'm pretty attached to NPCs in games, probably due to wanting to immerse myself in the game's world, so acts like this tend to have an emotional impact on me. I must admit, if they happen to die on my watch, but not due to me, that's a different story. I like having evil/hostile looking badass characters, but doing unnecessary harm doesn't work for me, not in this game anyway.

Otherwise, if they're enemies... well... Sithis save your poor souls lol.

Tbh, i only care about them if i cared about the story and game world.

Otherwise, they are fictional, they live fictional lives, so i dont really care if the story is badly told.

Edited by Catpho

43 minutes ago, Catpho said:

Tbh, i only care about them if i cared about the story and game world.

Otherwise, they are fictional, they live fictional lives, so i dont really care if the story is badly told.

I don't know it's just like I know these people and it's like they know me. Anytime I kill a npc on any game I just think that someone I loved ran away from me and left me so I'm taking away someone that way they can feel that pain but they can't, they're not real and they can't feel the pain but I can feel the pain and I sometimes regret it and I honestly don't know why.

In GTA, I rarely have an issue with randomly killing NPCs, its part of the game. With games like Morrowind and even Sleeping Dogs, I just don't kill NPCs unless its part of a mission.

With that said, I never feel bad for killing anyone in a game, because its in a game.

Yes. And sometimes not only NPCs but even enemies that are actually trying to kill me. I think this might be one of the main reasons why I never really got into games with photorealistic graphics and instead prefer old and pseudo-old stuff. Killing silly cartoonish creatures usually doesn't feel so bad because it's almost like they don't really die. They're more like toys that become alive again whenever you open your Lego box.

For some reason this reminds me of Cannon Fodder, where the game would give a unique name to every one of your guys, and at the end of each level show a scrolling memorial to each of them that were killed while completing it.

Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 8.08.59 PM.png

I try and avoid deaths from non-combatant NPCs as much as possible, even attempt to in Half-Life where the soldiers would open fire on scientists or security if they see them.

10 hours ago, Glaice said:

I try and avoid deaths from non-combatant NPCs as much as possible, even attempt to in Half-Life where the soldiers would open fire on scientists or security if they see them.

I sometimes feel a connection towards to some of the npcs and other's i don't. It's only in some games that i feel like i know them, i don't know why i feel like this unless it's just cause i have lost so much faith in humanity and my grip on reality.

2 hours ago, SayWhatOneMoreTime said:

I sometimes feel a connection towards to some of the npcs and other's i don't. It's only in some games that i feel like i know them, i don't know why i feel like this unless it's just cause i have lost so much faith in humanity and my grip on reality.

It doesn't have to make sense why you feel for some and not for others, that's just a human thing. I would run over NPCs in GTA without a second thought.

It depends on what I'm playing, most RPG games I'm typically "good" in alignment so naturally I hardly murder, in some cases (like Deus Ex 1) it's more shameless opportunist who'll do anything to further my goal (like mass executing everyone at Versalife's MJ12 facility, no survivors = no alarms) or in Fallout 4 where a synth is a target, not a person.

I still feel bad for killing houndeyes in Half-Life cuz they sound like weird puppies and it's adorable as fuck. In fact most of the time I just outrun em just to avoid killing them.

Also one time I was playing a Smooth Doom esque enhancement mod (not sure if it was Smooth Doom or one of the others) and the cacodemons' pain sound was replaced with a much more sad-sounding caco noise. I couldn't bring myself to shoot em so I just stopped playing.

Basically if an enemy sounds/looks cute I'm going to straight up avoid killing it cuz I'm a huge softie and it makes me feel bad. It's like "hurting" a plush toy, I know it's just a toy (or just pixels in a game's case) but I still feel really bad when doing it, yknow.

The only time I feel attachment to a polygon person like this is if it's something like my mercs in Jagged Alliance or soldiers in X-COM. When you go through hell and gain experience with them, you grow attached and don't want them to die. It just feels super shitty. Party members in an RPG are also similar.

Otherwise, I don't go gunning for NPCs but if they get hit in the crossfire so be it. Though I am playing through Shadow Warrior 2 and I will kill the bunnies without second thought for that PHAT LOOT.

Most of the time I don't care who I kill, but I won't just senselessly kill randoms unless the game is designed around it (Postal, Carmageddon) or I'm going for an evil path in a game that allows it (The Suffering, Fallout). If anything I don't really like having to kill (realistic looking) dogs, as they don't know any better usually since their trainers/owners are dicks with the intent of 'kill on sight' for the likes of you. But I'll do whatever it takes to survive.

E: Although I will say I do think it's pretty funny when I attack civilians in StarCraft (they're marked as enemies so whatever) or force attack on churches in Command & Conquer, the latter obviously being a dick but hey, it's only a video game.

On 3/6/2018 at 9:49 AM, Glaice said:

Yup

Once when playing Oblivion there was  one of the weirdos in the Shivering Isles that got killed by a rampaging critter. And then another weirdo wandered in and knelt in front of the corpse, saying some prayer. It was also the only time I ever saw that happen in that game -- usually I'd only see this behavior for NPCs looting corpses, not eulogizing.

Generally in video games I try to protect allies and neutrals. In C&C I avoided killing civilians for example. When possible and meaningful I prefer nonlethal neutralization, like knocking out the NSF in Deus Ex or disabling and capturing enemy ships instead of destroying them in X-Wing/TIE Fighter whenever allowed by the mission.

Oh yeah, also I like to kill only criminals and gang members in GTA games if possible nowadays, as it makes the count of people wasted by the player mean something more when they are irredeemable scum, fit only to be erased from existence. As for civilians who get caught in the crossfire, well, their fault for not getting out of my way.

On 3/6/2018 at 2:49 AM, Glaice said:

Haha, I also like to impose an extra challenge on myself and try to keep the scientists alive. Usually I fail due to how suicidal these dudes are...

When I play I usually like taking the role of a hero... I quite merciless one.

I refuse to hurt anyone who isn't a threat to me or anyone else (with one exception, see below), and I'll do my best to protect allies, sometimes going as far as serving as a human shield. If it's an enemy it's going to DIE, I don't care if it's a dog, a human or a monster, if it's attacking me I'll kill it, and you can take for granted I won't feel bad for doing so (you can imagine how my first Undertale playthrough went).

Harmless NPCs working for the enemy will be killed, though. No use for those scumbags.

If the game I'm playing has a specific section where I'm being the asshole (provided that being an ass isn't the main focus of the game) then I'll probably feel bad and use non-lethal methods to take out my enemies (if possible).

2 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

When I play I usually like taking the role of a hero... I quite merciless one.

I refuse to hurt anyone who isn't a threat to me or anyone else (with one exception, see below), and I'll do my best to protect allies, sometimes going as far as serving as a human shield. If it's an enemy it's going to DIE, I don't care if it's a dog, a human or a monster, if it's attacking me I'll kill it, and you can take for granted I won't feel bad for doing so (you can imagine how my first Undertale playthrough went).

Harmless NPCs working for the enemy will be killed, though. No use for those scumbags.

If the game I'm playing has a specific section where I'm being the asshole (provided that being an ass isn't the main focus of the game) then I'll probably feel bad and use non-lethal methods to take out my enemies (if possible).

I don't know if you or anyone else has ever played it but a game called spec ops the line really f#cked me up because I could and still can relate to that game. In the end everything was your fault and for some reason I felt the same too but I don't know why.

I watched one of my friend's play black mesa (I've never played it but I want to) And I think it was the first level and he was killing the scientist's and it just made me feel bad because they didn't do anything to him or anyone else.

I don't know, maybe I just have a weak heart or my feelings are very weak to the point where everything hurts me. I'm always told by my father and the rest of my family to "man up" And be "tough" Because "We're germans and germans are supposed to be tough!" But that's what I hear from americans and the rest of the world too so I don't know, I couldn't even kill an animal in real life and if I had to I probably couldn't live with myself.

Sorry for replying so early.

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:10 PM, fraggle said:

For some reason this reminds me of Cannon Fodder, where the game would give a unique name to every one of your guys, and at the end of each level show a scrolling memorial to each of them that were killed while completing it.

Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 8.08.59 PM.png

For some reason that reminds me of called "Corncob 3d" I don't know why though.

Depends on the game. When I play the original Postal I just kill everyone mercilessly. In Doom 3, while you are given the ability to kill human NPCs such as scientists, I avoid this and don't feel right about it.