Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chezza

Convince me that Brutal doom is Overrrated

What do you honestly think of Brutal Doom?  

79 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What do you honestly think of Brutal Doom?

• Brutal Doom is an abomination - I mock your value system
    • Totally overrated, there are many other Wads more deserving of such praise
    • Definitely some good qualities to it but not my first choice
    • It's a fun Wad indeed, I agree it enhances Doom
    • Big fan of Brutal Doom. One of the best Wads for sure!

nxGangrel said:

It's not overrated. But I find a lot of people hate it for some bazaar reason.

Effendi, I assure you my reasons are the finest money can buy! I can't go below 20 for one! Surely a fine gentleman such as yourself wouldn't deny my children their modest dinner!

dew said:

Effendi, I assure you my reasons are the finest money can buy! I can't go below 20 for one! Surely a fine gentleman such as yourself wouldn't deny my children their modest dinner!

...What?

I think that Brutal doom is shit, there's not a single feature in it that I actually like. I tried it once and it was a horrible experience.

nxGangrel said:

...What?

Bizarre -> Unusual, strange
Bazarr -> Marketplace, often associated with the middle east

Eris Falling said:

Bizarre -> Unusual, strangeat
Bazarr -> Marketplace, often associated with the middle east

Oh okay. Didn't catch that.

It's overrated, yeah, but It's not a bad mod. Has it's problems, but It's fun. It's that kind of game that's perfect for playing after a stressful day, like Postal 2 and GTA.

Brutal Doom is ok and I play it once in a while, but it is short lived for me and Doom guy seems like he glorifies killing a lot...like he can go to bed at night and all he will think about is killing something.

It gets into his head with raging full blown ego, while older Doom guy is quieter and less annoying...meh and overall I wouldn't say it's a bad game at all, but there are better ones out there to try out.

I know it isn't cool to like Brutal Doom around these parts, but I actually think that it lives up to its own hype.  

i dont ever play mods that dont meet to my expectations. Brutal doom is one of them. however from what ive seen of it, its not bad either.

I would have done things differently... by remaking the game entirely in 3d form with dynamic monster hit boxes (expanded), monsters that display surface damaging like quake and true  cinematic "fatality's"(mkx style), and most importantly better weapon control/physics and particle effects.

Unfortunately this would take so much time to make i would never make it... HA!

3 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

What's with all the necromancy that is going on these days? Is there some coven I have yet to purify?

I'm not sure what sparked the recent trend, but I've always been a fan of the dark arts. I often find myself being tempted to cast Animate Dead on a lot of classic (as well as underappreciated) threads that I come across, but I already have a warning for necromancy, and would prefer not to push it. 

'What's with the necromancy?'

Well new users simply don't know that it's something you should avoid doing.

A lot of people follow a line of logic that it would be better to make use of an existing thread instead of creating a new one, like how we're taught to recycle as much as we can.

Since you are a giant stompy robot, I highly recommend Brutal Doom. It gives you the ridiculous blood, gore, weaponry and speed you need. People seem to hate Brutal Doom for hating Sgt. Mark IV and cherry picking things from other mods. There are great mods out there, but they feel almost too powerful. Brutal Doom amps up your weaponry, while making enemies tougher to balance it out.

I think the thing that makes it so good isn't the fact there's buckets of blood or amped up violence, but the fact there's just more going on visually. Make the blood different colors of paint, its just good to see the effect of what you're doing. Its good to see explosions, fires caused, smashing lights, things fly around and scorch marks. Duke 3D had these things in spades and its one of the things that enhanced the experience to make it a better experience than Doom at the time.

People dislike popular, mainstream things. I'd say Brutal Doom has done more to get Doom talked about and in the mainstream than anyone else before Doom 4.

Edited by geo

On 8/17/2015 at 5:09 AM, Chezza said:

3. Sate my curiosity on why some people don't favor BD or simply think it's overrated

This thread is probably really not going to end well, but eh, my 2 cents:

I no longer like it due to the fact that it alters the gameplay far too much, so much that it just doesn't feel like Doom at all anymore. For a period of time I really liked it but after I returned to the original games and custom wads I realized that, in my perception anyway, it just changes too much that it becomes little more than a dumb gore fest. Reloading, excessive violence, the new Doomguy voice and taunts that make me feel like he's some kind of brutal primate rather than a human, iron sights, yeah it's just not my thing anymore, it stopped working the moment I came back to the original titles.

The last version I played was... honestly I don't know, whatever was the latest version of Brutal Doom back at the beginning of 2015. But in short, it's simply a matter of preference, some people might enjoy it for what it is, others may not, these are the reasons for why I don't personally enjoy it anymore. The fanbase being quite obnoxious and making stupid statements like "It's the way Doom is meant to be played" doesn't help either... though I might as well point out that there's just no such thing as "the way Doom is meant to be played" given how various wads try new things and push the limits, often very different from what could be done in the past or in the original games. The thread title isn't suitable either, because when you like something rarely anything is going to change your mind or perception unless you do that yourself, the best this topic can do is allow the participants to give their own reasons for why they (no longer in my case) like BD. The reasons mentioned above are why I personally no longer do. I'd rather stick to something in the vein of Scythe or MM, and that anytime than BD.

Oh, and I couldn't care less about what Mark said or did in the past, what I care about first and foremost is the craft, everything else is secondary.

2 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

stuff

Well yea, thats why no one wanted to bump it, until now :P

JUST LET IT DIE pls

4 hours ago, hella knight said:

'What's with the necromancy?'

Well new users simply don't know that it's something you should avoid doing.

A lot of people follow a line of logic that it would be better to make use of an existing thread instead of creating a new one, like how we're taught to recycle as much as we can.

But new users can see the date of the posts and think if it's worth to bump in old threads. It's not that hard. Heh. Sometimes it's worth to do new thing instead of resurrecting old forgotten threads.

^^^^

The admins should lock this thread quick before a shitstorm happens.

1 hour ago, Myst.Haruko said:

But new users can see the date of the posts and think if it's worth to bump in old threads. It's not that hard. Heh. Sometimes it's worth to do new thing instead of resurrecting old forgotten threads.

At some point this forum warned people not to bump threads over 30 days old. Then again... that was then.

Well I know this thread will probably get locked at some point but I want to share my 2 cents before this happens...

I think after Brutal Doom added the "purist" mode that allows you to play the game with basically the same weapon and monster balance as vanilla but with the brutal doom gore and visual effects that the mod became almost better than vanilla. I barely play vanilla anymore because of this. Now I typically just play Brutal Doom purist mode instead.