Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

1 hour ago, cyan0s1s said:

Is the first FEAR really that underrated? IIRC it's the most popular of the three games. I would say Extraction Point is underrated however, and I like to consider it canon.

I don't think it's underrated either, and yeah it's easily the most popular installment in the franchise from what I've seen.

Noticed this morning the Amnesia games are free to grab and they're yours forever, one of those limited offers again. Wasn't aware there was another one at the beginning of the year tbh. Either way I'm grabbing this shit right now and play a bit lol.

I tried to play F.E.A.R. once, but couldn't get into it. I'm not a huge fan of slow-mo so I played without it, which resulted in the game being batshit hard. I eventually got tired and stopped playing.

Like with Diablo, I'll probably give it another go in the future.

If you just want to run n gun you should go for Easy aka power trip mode. Otherwise get used to slow-mo on Normal and higher.

Beating F.E.A.R. on "Extreme" difficulty was immensely satisfying. A somewhat rare time when a shooter felt balanced to the difficulty modes accordingly.

I'm currently finishing up Alan Wake, playing Shadow Warrior 2 when it doesn't feel like being a crashy cunt, getting back into MGS 5, and playing a lot of Pac-Man Championship Edition when I feel like just relaxing when I play something.

I've spent some time revisiting DmC: Devil May Cry and comparing it to DMC4 Special Edition and DMC3 Special Edition in terms of combo potential and gameplay depth.

Looking at Dante, it is easy to see that DMC4 SE's Dante is leagues above the DmC: DMC counterpart. There are more weapons, more moves with each weapon, and more styles (5 > 0) in DMC4 SE. While DMC3 SE has more weapons, moves, and styles compared to DMC4 SE, it still lags behind in terms of combo potential because styles cannot be switched mid-combat. There is a rather finicky style-switcher mod for DMC3 SE, and mastery of that mod will boost the depth of DMC3 SE to unmatched levels in action games surpassing even Godhand, but in terms of vanilla games, DMC4 SE's Dante is the pinnacle of combo potential (Combos are still discovered to this day, a decade after DMC4's initial release).

So, for Dante : DMC3 SE (Style-Switcher Mod) > DMC4 SE > DMC3 SE > DmC: DMC

Vergil however, is a very interesting case. In DMC3 SE and DMC4 SE, he has only 3 weapons but he has more moves in DMC4 SE. This really increases the depth and combo potential of DMC4 SE Vergil. However, both cases have no styles. Also, there are several weird design decisions made in DMC4 SE that curb some of Vergil's depth such as spammable animation cancels, awkward inertia, and horribly high damage. Like seriously, DMC4 SE already had enemies made of paper. These mobs have so little health, that the only way to make them challenging is to play on the higher non-gimmick difficulties (Dante Must Die / Gods Must Die / Legendary Dark Knight). But even on these difficulties, Vergil shreds through enemies like butter. Interestingly enough, DmC: DMC's Vergil has 1 style (kinda), and 3 weapons to use and there aren't as many design decisions that weaken combo potential thankfully.

So, for Vergil : DmC: DMC > DMC4 SE > DMC3 SE

For all the vitriol poured on DmC: DMC, it is quite remarkable that DMC4 SE ripped moves straight out of it and somehow messed up. In terms of depth and combo potential, DmC: DMC boasts a decent Dante and a remarkable Vergil. It is extremely unfortunate that we'll probably never get a sequel to this game, even though it had so much potential to grow.

Still playing Amnesia, and I love it so far, as much as I did back when I watched a walkthrough of it.

I absolutely love what the game relies on to create a horror atmosphere, no jump scares and no excessive violence/gore, just perfect use of the environment to scare the player, a haunting feeling of not being supposed to be there, and sometimes succeeding even by being disgusting yet also intriguing. Like this fleshy residues, certainly nothing to be afraid of but not something pleasant to be around either. It was also fascinating to see them expanding.

Tried playing Morrowind and instantly smashed my face on my keyboard whenever I had to fight something. i love everything about this game unless its the combat. maybe im just really spoiled by oblivion because it was really the first elder scrolls game i got into back when it came out on PS3. i did play arena a long time ago on the old family gateway but never could get into it.

Batman Arkham City: a neat action metroidvania. The combat feels meaty and visceral, gets better with different upgrades and gadgets unlocked along the way. The only thing that really irks me is the Riddler collectathon. Most of the puzzles are impossible to solve till late game, and the search as a whole is pretty frustrating given the drastically increased number of collectibles compared to Arkham Asylum.

Doom 3: it's okay. Sure, some monster closets are obvious to the point of annoyance and the gameplay is different, but it's not a bad game. The atmosphere is pretty well done, although the intro was pretty similar to that of Half Life, albeit with way less subtlety. Not too far into the game yet (Alpha labs), but enjoying the ride so far.

Fallout: finally gonna get serious and finish it (after 20+ hours and games restarted from scratch for various reasons). Made a sleezy character with high INT, CHAR and LCK. Recently stumbled upon a truck with thousands of caps, just on my way to the Hub. I'd say it's going bretty gud. Don't get the numerous complaints about the controls though. Sure, they were finicky the first hour or two, but I wouldn't call them atrocious by any means.

Still playing Dark Souls.

Its gotten to the point where evertime I beat a hard boss, my reaction went from "Yeah! Im one step closer to beating the game" to "Yeah! Im one step closer to deleting this games from my life!".

It tests your patience and sanity.

2 hours ago, TabbiKatt said:

Tried playing Morrowind and instantly smashed my face on my keyboard whenever I had to fight something. i love everything about this game unless its the combat. maybe im just really spoiled by oblivion because it was really the first elder scrolls game i got into back when it came out on PS3. i did play arena a long time ago on the old family gateway but never could get into it.

You're probably too used to the better combat from the successors. I for one first experienced ES with Skyrim and while it's a bit "dumbed down" (or oversimplified) in some aspects, the combat is where it does a very good job compared to its predecessors. Combat in Morrowind is trash due to the hit-or-miss mechanic. There are some mods out there that remove it, but if you want it the vanilla way, you'll have to live with it, which will be a real pain in the ass until you reach a high level, or greatly increase the skill that is directly responsible for this.

48 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

You're probably too used to the better combat from the successors. I for one first experienced ES with Skyrim and while it's a bit "dumbed down" (or oversimplified) in some aspects, the combat is where it does a very good job compared to its predecessors. Combat in Morrowind is trash due to the hit-or-miss mechanic. There are some mods out there that remove it, but if you want it the vanilla way, you'll have to live with it, which will be a real pain in the ass until you reach a high level, or greatly increase the skill that is directly responsible for this.

Right. The combat is a lot better in Skyrim (and in Fallout 4) compared to the predecessors. Morrowind's chance to hit and fatigue mechanics are annoying. Item health may be nice from a role-playing perspective, but in reality it's a tedious grind that sucks the fun out of the game (that's even worse in Fallout 3/New Vegas).

At least Skyrim does not have Fallout 4's horrible dialogue wheel…

2 hours ago, ScreechingBoner said:

Doom 3: it's okay. Sure, some monster closets are obvious to the point of annoyance and the gameplay is different, but it's not a bad game. The atmosphere is pretty well done, although the intro was pretty similar to that of Half Life, albeit with way less subtlety. Not too far into the game yet (Alpha labs), but enjoying the ride so far.

Upon going back to it a second time recently it was initially not nearly as 'bad' as it looked since watching my BF play it, just average, mostly adequate at what it does. But by the time I reached Delta Complex I was so tired of everything. Such an overly safe and boring game. The expansion is just more of the same too.

This little beauty. Doom as a 2D action-platformer, with ties and nods to the whole series and beyond. Really solid gameplay, full of upgrades and secrets. It's just a blast.

1 hour ago, Prologue-9 said:

MiniDoom 2

That looks awesome. Too bad I don't like playing platformers.

Just played through Half-Life: Caged. If I ever break out of a maximum security prison, then I want to escape while listening to the sweet, sweet music of Lazerhawk. 

12 hours ago, Prologue-9 said:

This little beauty. Doom as a 2D action-platformer, with ties and nods to the whole series and beyond. Really solid gameplay, full of upgrades and secrets. It's just a blast.

This is probably going to be a really unpopular opinion, but... I have to say no to this. It looks corny. And I've played every Doom on almost all systems and I even like Doom 3 (loved it when it came out, but it has some luster since then, but I still find it quite enjoyable), which seems to be the most polarizing game on/in these forums. But...no. This does nothing for me. Which is unfortunate, because I like action-platformers (the Steamworld Dig series comes to mind; loved those games). And the big reveal at the end? Kind of cheesy. I think it'd be better if it was the Cyberdemon as the "big reveal". I dunno, this rubs me the wrong. Hopefully I don't get anything thrown at me...  ::preemptively ducks:: 

4 minutes ago, Chewyninja69 said:

This is probably going to be a really unpopular opinion, but... I have to say no to this. It looks corny. And I've played every Doom on almost all systems and I even like Doom 3 (loved it when it came out, but it has some luster since then, but I still find it quite enjoyable), which seems to be the most polarizing game on/in these forums. But...no. This does nothing for me. Which is unfortunate, because I like action-platformers (the Steamworld Dig series comes to mind; loved those games). And the big reveal at the end? Kind of cheesy. I think it'd be better if it was the Cyberdemon as the "big reveal". I dunno, this rubs me the wrong. Hopefully I don't get anything thrown at me...  ::preemptively ducks:: 

"Throws air at you"

About the game, looks pretty good, i need to play it now!

Just now, Catpho said:

"Throws air at you"

About the game, looks pretty good, i need to play it now!

If it's only air, I'm cool with that. 

So… this thread made me think about reinstalling F.E.A.R. until I read the recent thread about modern shooters which reminded me about the annoying weapon limit. I hate that. It keeps me from using the special guns with sparse ammo because you have to give up the bread and butter guns.

Besides TES I also play Fallout 3 and Dark Soul. I love RPGs where you can create your character by yourself and give him characteristics. 
I decided to play games which made by Bethesda Game Studios.

@Manuel-K Three weapon limit is only imposing because the game has so many great weapons, but it doesn't play like a modern FPS, rewarding you for your reaction time while in slow-mo. It certainly plays a lot better than most modern FPS. If there's anything bad about FEAR 2 is that it kinda screwed this up a little but only on hard, as it doesn't know if it wants to be like FEAR 1 which afforded you more mobility or like a typical cover-based shooter with the difficulty spikes and the more open environments.

I tried the Sea of Thieves open beta this weekend. To my great surprise (given I was playing with random people online) I really enjoyed it. It helps it's all in first person, but given I never ever like MMOs I genuinely amazed myself how much I enjoyed it.

I've gone from hardly any interest in it to planning on doing the 14-day trial of Microsoft's Gamepass to play it for free when it launches next week.