Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xanrer

Thoughts on Ken Silverman's BUILD2 engine/editor?

If you didnt heard of it allready here is the link: http://advsys.net/ken/buildsrc/build2.htm

So have you guys tried the BUILD2? What is your thoughts on it?

For me personally i need some time to got used to it, compare to builders i use, build2 was really advanced (to work with at least) and also gave me some motion sickness in 3d mode kek, for real don't do 360s to much in that thing.

But overall im glad he actually be able to came out with a really nice 3D(ish) engine after all of this years.

So what are your personal thoughts about it, what are pros and cons for you?

I wish someone made something out of this.

Maybe Ion Maiden 2. Or an unofficial Duke 3D sequel.

Hopefully the folks at Eduke32 can figure out something and make full use of the capabilities of Build 2, maybe even port some features to the original Build.

I once wanted to attempt to make a map for Shadow Warrior, the editor seemed so cryptic that I couldn't figure out how to use it.

I agree on that we definitely need some sort of tutorial or a wiki article.

Also i would love to see maps created in build 2. If anyone did (doesn't matter if it's good or bad) please share with us!

On 3/11/2018 at 8:50 AM, DooM_RO said:

I wish someone made something out of this.

Maybe Ion Maiden 2. Or an unofficial Duke 3D sequel.

I wouldn't get too excited

Remember working with the Build engine as a feature laden and fun experience, but I didn't like the 1:1 pixel ratio of everything in Doom being gone. Also, maybe because mouse-look, the overall play experience isn't as silky smooth/consistent.

3 hours ago, StevenC21 said:

Is it 2.5D?

it has real time dynamic lights and no limits of multi sector on top of eachother, i would call it 2.75D at this moment :p

I noticed in the text file there is apparently a map in the "games" folder called "traffic.kc" but there is no "games" folder in the zip? Hm where could that file have gone

Ken Silverman is a prince among men. There's a weird poetry to him releasing a full 3D engine. Ken's Labyrinth was way more fun to play in the 90s than it should have been.

KensLabyrinth_DOS_31.gif

It has no hardware acceleration and several features that are present in eduke are missing.

As it stands, this is nothing more than a novelty release.

Well he might release some updates, or at least share the source code. I realy want to see that real time dynamic lights at work.

It's cool that he made a sequel to the first engine, but I don't expect too much from this in terms of usage. I think it's indeed more of a novelty than anything else.