Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
geX

ModDB has restored and relaunched GameFront

ModDB has relaunched a fully restored version of video game file distribution hub GameFront, almost two years after the site closed down.

The much loved database folded (not for the first time) back in April 2016, but ModDB swooped in to save the day, claiming it couldn't sit back and watch GameFront "slowly fade into obscurity."

Built by volunteers and members of the original GameFront team, the new and improved website officially opened its doors yesterday, and features previously lost author, description, readme, and other metadata fully restored. 

All original content has also been pulled back from the brink, meaning there are already over 120,000 mods, maps, tools, and more crammed into the reimagined database, which also features fully restored news articles along with the original GameFront forums.

As you'd expect, the team have also added some new bells and whistles, and users are now able to upload unlimited game files to their accounts, suggest new games and categories, and fully customize their profile and download pages with images, videos, and more.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/315435/ModDB_has_restored_and_relaunched_GameFront.php

https://www.gamefront.com/

So its 2 websites that do the same thing and 1 was resurrected by the other that pretty well killed it?

57 minutes ago, geo said:

So its 2 websites that do the same thing and 1 was resurrected by the other that pretty well killed it?

How did ModDB kill GameFront? Legit curious.

49 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

How did ModDB kill GameFront? Legit curious.

It was an ignorant joke / comment on my part.

GameFront and ModDB host mods and other game extensions. ModDB seems to have risen, while its been a long time since I've seen GameFront associated with something big. Then again it could just be the mods / games that I play. So I assume ModDB got so big that it choked off interest and potential finances from GameFront.

I say it strictly as an uninformed outsider. Someone else can come along and tell me... no dude you're so wrong and explain why. Perhaps someone important got married, had no time and let the site die. Even hosting costs became too much.

Looking through GameFront now they have a few games listed that have no files. Others have one or so mods, while others like Half-Life 1 must be the bread and butter of the site. This could be due to an entire lost database of files if they were gone for 2 years, but that's only optimistic speculation.