Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiTROACTiVE

Stephen Hawking Has Died At Age 76

Stephen Hawking, the legendary scientist, has died at the age of 76. It's a shame that he passed, but his work on science was amazing. He was also told he would have two years to live in 1963, but he would live on much longer than that. He was indeed a legend.

Go here for more information:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43396008

Damn it he was our Einstein. I don't think we can get many minds like his. He will be missed

2 minutes ago, Chezza said:

Damn it he was our Einstein. I don't think we can get many minds like his. He will be missed

Don't worry, we still have me.

Hmm, what's this button d-

Atomic-Bomb-630x378.jpg

His outstanding work aside, Stephen Hawking was always someone I wish I could have a conversation with. I always felt like he got "reduced" to his work a lot, and I am curious about the person.

A painful loss for sure.

The man was amazing, and one of the strongest people on this planet, not for physical strength, or even mental, but for all of it. He survived when the odds were so pitted against him. It was unfair on him to be struck down with such a terrible disease, but he fought through it, and gave people so much to think about. he will be sorely missed, and all text to speech programs will miss his loss.

It's pretty painful when an idol of yours passes away. Reading "A Brief History of Time" all those years ago was probably the push I needed to pursue research in Mathematics and Science.

His greatest contribution was not his research, but his mere existence. He represents success against all odds. Even when he was condemned with a disease that placed a limit on his life, he still survived for decades after his predicted demise. Furthermore, he managed to make notable contributions to modern physics, something several researchers never accomplish. His prominence in science publicity definitely affected his work, but he still used his fame to inspire people to pursue research.

He was a fantastic individual and world is lesser without him. Truly the Carl Sagan of modern times.

However, due to the time-consuming nature of scientific publicity, he will only go down as a footnote in the annals of scientific history. Research ultimately cares about the progress made and not popularity. This is why I choose to remember him as an inspirational person rather than an inspirational scientist. 

Edited by SGS Man

Rest in peace Mr Hawking, you were the one who told me the universe is bigger than it seems(he was the first scientist i knew).

An extraordinary man with an extraordinary mind. I read A Brief History Of Time in my early twenties and for a few brief hours I felt as if I almost understood the universe.

I'll have to see if I can extract it from the random small mountain of books I've accumulated over the years and re-read it.

50 minutes ago, Baratus 95 said:

Sad to see him pass away on Pi Day.

AND on Einstein's birthday, no less!

Terrible news, RIP :(

Just now, HavoX said:

AND on Einstein's birthday, no less!

Awful news.

I've been reading that he was born on Galileo's deathday and died on Einstein's birthday. Very fitting for an astrophysicist.

This is one of the deaths that shook me up to my knees. Truly a great mind and will be deeply missed.

You have to admit though, he did pretty good for himself. Was told he'd live for two years after his diagnosis, he lived 55.

If only it could be longer.

One of the greatest minds of our species, now nothing more than stardust. I think he wouldn't of had it any other way.

RIP

Very sad to hear that we lost one of the most brilliant people we've ever had in our lifetime :(

An absolutely fantastic, intelligent and logical man. He will be missed.

RIP Stephen Hawking

Humanity has lost another great mind. Whilst most certainly is not the only brilliant mind of his generation, he is most definitely the one who spent the most time in the spotlight. Hopefully this vacancy will encourage new people with new and ambitious ideas to step in and fill the newly created void. Pray that whomever takes this mantle is as selfless and strong as he was.

A diagnosis that would have effectively destroyed the spirit of most people did not dwindle his; in fact, it probably strengthened him. He and his frail body have contributed things that very few people of similar ambition and more fortunate circumstances could ever dream to. Like Galileo, Sir Isaac Newton, Marie Curie, Albert Einstein and many others before as well as alongside him, Stephen Hawking has expanded the foundation of knowledge on which future scientists will hopefully build upon as we continue attempting to advance ever skyward instead of imploding anticlimactically on the ground.

What a beautifully poetic coincidence that Stephen Hawking was born on the day of Galileo's death and passed away on the day of Albert Einstein's birth. The universe is doing a rather terrible job of convincing us that everything is completely random. Methinks I am detecting some kind of cycle, perhaps?

Sleep well, dear physicist. May you rest peacefully.