Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StormCatcher.77

Abandoned Community Projects

I'm wondering, how much does history of DoomWorld contain community projects which is not updating anymore and not waiting for the final release? I ask the veterans of the forum to share information about canceled / abandoned / frozen CP's for the entire duration of the community's existence. How many of them were there? It does not matter what style, size and significance they are. Every is interesting. Especially the oldest abandoned projects (if any). If you know about such projects for Doom in other communities, then it is worth mentioning them too. I will be grateful.

I'm interested, because the topics of these projects can contain excellent maps, which are dusting around. It is possible that in exploring the abandoned topics you can discover for yourself a very worthy work, never published standalone. Even if not ... still interesting. The status of the project is also not principled. It can be abandoned completely or temporarily suspended, or it is uncertain.

It is worth making this topic, something like a hub. I will add in the title of the topic links to the projects that you mention.

Now this is a place, where the dead CP's dwells...

[2017] Community Co-op Map Project, UAC-Janitor (uncertain)
[2017] Doom 3: Depths of Evil, Rifle Infantry (abandoned)
[2017] Going Nowhere Fast, joe-ilya (abandoned)
[2017] Plain ol' Doom 2 Community Mapping Project, Seidolon (uncertain)
[2017] Testament of Einstein, General Rainbow Bacon (abandoned)

[2016] Aquatex Mapping Experiment, Voros (abandoned)
[2016] Doomworld Roulette: Session 3, Alfonzo (abandoned)
[2016] Doomsday, Frisky (abandoned)
[2016] Dwango single player transformation community project, joe-ilya (abandoned)
[2016] Into the Void, Obsidian (abandoned)
[2016] R.R.R: Raiding Romeros Recycle, demo_the_man (abandoned)
[2016] To Be Continued, franckFRAG (abandoned)

[2015] Castle Dasböurg, Gustavo6046 (abandoned)

[2015] Hexen community project, Cire (abandoned)

[2015] Donnybrooking - An Icarus Tribute WAD, Jaws In Space (cancelled)

[2015] Let's host a unique community project!!!, sesalpinogamer (abandoned)

[2015] Megawad in a Month, Beed28 (abandoned)

[2015] Much Obliged, Boingo (abandoned)

[2015] The Phobos Simulation, LanHikariDS (abandoned)

[2014] A ranDOOM community project, joe-ilya (abandoned)
[2014] TNT: Project Geryon, mrthejoshmon (abandoned)

[2013] Cyberdreams 2, Fellowzdoomer (abandoned)

[2013] Thy PrBoom Maps, mrthejoshmon (abandoned)

[2013] Doomworld Team Map Making Project, Townsend (abandoned)
[2012] 100 Hands, General Rainbow Bacon (abandoned)
[2012] Doomworld Secret Santa project, Snakes (abandoned)

Edited by StormCatcher.77

12 minutes ago, yakfak said:

this thing got four maps and one was mine

i bet all the links are dead :)))

No they are not u liar >:(

Is this abandoned? No new posts since January 15th, plus the map I made for it is sitting in limbo and will slate for standalone eventually if things don't pick up soon. Edit: Not abandoned.

Edited by Glaice

The only projects I know of like this were my old failures; TNT: Project Geryon, TPBM (I tried to make it a C Project at one point).

There also was that unofficial CyberDreams 2 fan sequel died a quick death, that happened.

I'll try to dig links up later, this browser doesn't have copy paste for some reason.

2 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Had a second life and probably a final release thanks to joe-Ilya

lol that is not where I expected this sentence to go. 

I don't see anything about joe picking the Plain ol' Doom 2 project up. Has he outright stated that he was doing so?

EDIT: KS2 and Sunder are not community projects.

This project called Panophobia caught my attention a while ago, but never seen any updates or something new about it. Other wads like Stomper, which apparently is unfinnished and abandoned for personal reasons, though I don't remember if it was a CP... Final Doom TWID, I think it's still in development. TNT: Devilution, I'm only interested in that sick status bar. Perdition's Gate Resurgence is another one that I haven't seen any updates since last year.  

Please tell me BTSX3 is still going on... the 100% real no fake no April's Fool, I mean...

2 hours ago, Glaice said:

Is this abandoned? No new posts since January 15th, plus the map I made for it is sitting in limbo and will slate for standalone eventually if things don't pick up soon.

I have been finally getting my ass onto mapping for this the last two days so i hope not (i don't think it is abandoned by any stretch anyway, just slow progress).

I love the idea of this thread as far as a general place to link to while trying to explain to newcomers why cp's started by nothing but an idea are generally doomed before they begin.

1 hour ago, AD_79 said:

I don't see anything about joe picking the Plain ol' Doom 2 project up. Has he outright stated that he was doing so?

Not really, but he put 2 new maps for testing at the final page of the thread, without any answer from Seidolon, that looks to be banned from zdoom forum, so it looks like that this project will be abandoned forever.... So there's not any reborn of this...

How about 100 Hands? Last contribution was made in 2012, then it was bumped in 2015 and nothing happened. One of my first modding contributions, and of course it consisted primarily of adding a weird gimmicky secret to the map.

2 hours ago, AD_79 said:

EDIT: KS2 and Sunder are not community projects.

Yeah, when I edited it, I saw the word "community," so I realised Sunder wasn't one. And for KS2, I thought it was. Guess not.

Hang on, were there ever talks about a Community Chest 5, since it's been ages since the fourth's release.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I have been finally getting my ass onto mapping for this the last two days so i hope not (i don't think it is abandoned by any stretch anyway, just slow progress).

Nobody's posted updates since mid January so I am skeptical if that project is still active.

1 minute ago, Glaice said:

Nobody's posted updates since mid January so I am skeptical if that project is still active.

@cannonball posted about map slots and quality control on January 3, so he's still following it to some degree. He's also been on recently, so he could weigh in on whether the project is dead.

3 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

This project called Panophobia caught my attention a while ago, but never seen any updates or something new about it.

Perdition's Gate Resurgence is another one that I haven't seen any updates since last year.

Although it doesn't involve any mapping, I'm currently working on both of these, so they definitely aren't dead projects.

Oh and RIP Into the Void, the ASS tune-up project:

Edited by Eris Falling

This project called Panophobia caught my attention a while ago, but never seen any updates or something new about it.

This is still happening, it's just not still a community project. Dobu and mouldy are completing it as a team megawad, using some but not all of the original CP maps iirc.

54 minutes ago, Poncho said:

Hang on, were there ever talks about a Community Chest 5, since it's been ages since the fourth's release.

Cadman (the CC1 leader) came back and proposed it, but TGH (who seems to currently own the rights the the CC series) deferred it until he could lead it himself. Which probably isn't as unfair as it may sound, given the quality of his leadership on CC4. No one really knows whether it's ever going to happen.

This project called Panophobia caught my attention a while ago[...]

As others have pointed out, Panophobia has switched from a public community project to a monstrous abomination of my own creation, so development on it is slow to say the least. Mouldy and Eris have contributed some great things to the project, but there's a lot more work I have to do to get it to where I want it to be. I'm still determined to finish it, but that's not going to happen any time soon.

5 hours ago, Glaice said:

Is [UDINO] abandoned?

Assuredly not. Even if it hasn't been active as of late, there's too many maps already contributed for the project to fall into disrepair. Shouldn't take more than a year to wrap it up, I think?

2 hours ago, Scypek2 said:

How about 100 Hands? Last contribution was made in 2012, then it was bumped in 2015 and nothing happened. One of my first modding contributions, and of course it consisted primarily of adding a weird gimmicky secret to the map.

Yes! I came into post about this one too. It was one of the earliest community projects I worked on as well.

9 hours ago, yakfak said:

i bet all the links are dead

Sitting quietly in a folder on my desktop. The plan is for it to gather enough dust that it will eventually condense into something resembling a ball and roll out of the directory and into the /idgames archive.

2 hours ago, Poncho said:

@The Green Herring hasn't made any noises about starting CC5 yet.  There have been some "will there be a CC5?" threads, and the answer was "some day", but nothing more AFAIK.