Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StormCatcher.77

Abandoned Community Projects

4 hours ago, Scypek2 said:

How about 100 Hands? Last contribution was made in 2012, then it was bumped in 2015 and nothing happened. One of my first modding contributions, and of course it consisted primarily of adding a weird gimmicky secret to the map.

Darn, i remember this one. By the time i joined that i had just started the whole mapping thing. I clearly remember my part being a mess.

5 hours ago, Breezeep said:

BTSXE3 is still going on. It just won't be out until sometime around 2025.

still lowkey hoping this is just a conspiracy that it's taking so long and that it's right around the corner...

any day now.......... 

godDAMNIT I MADE MYSELF SAD AGAIN

Anyway, did the 64x64 project get a release? I remember making a horrible map for it as a newbie and kept seeing the thread come alive every 5 months or so. 

Freedoom is somewhat stalled: the main artist, who had boldly revitalized the project, is gone, there are no new commits in the repo for near three months and no one has told publicly anything about the progress of Make Freedoom Great Again project.

Also, I miss an official compilation of D2TWiD maps which didn’t make the cut. The only mention of such hypothetical thing I have found so far is in the FDTWiD’s thread, quoting Tarnsman: “there are many good maps in DTWID LE/D2TWID LE.”

2 minutes ago, Litrivin said:

Freedoom is somewhat stalled: the main artist, who had boldly revitalized the project, is gone, there are no new commits in the repo for near three months and no one has told publicly anything about the progress of Make Freedoom Great Again project.

Probably because nobody has a clue what they want the project to be anymore. It started as "let's remake Doom with original assets and maps for fun and for modders" and then it went the way of the System Shock Remaster kickstarter. Hopefully they take a step back and get it back on track in the near future.

I tried to get people to make community maps for a Splatterhouse 3D project that never got off the ground, but does still have a 4-level demo that I just touched up today.

Here's one for ya, The Doomworld Team Map Making Project. Seemed to start off well in January, 2013 but was dead by November of that year. I still have 3 orphan maps from that one, though I'm pretty sure they've found a new home. Then again, maybe not. ;D I guess it all depends on how testing goes.

I did not think there were many of them ... Thank you all for responding.
By the way, Texture Extravaganza still in the ranks. I spoke with bzzrak, and he confirmed that the project is under construction.

What status of Cereal Killer for example?

Finally got round to those links I mentioned.

TNT: Project Geryon: 

TPBM:

Cyberdreams 2 (never stood a chance):

12 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=55288

Had a second life and probably a final release thanks to joe-Ilya, but now it looks all abandoned to the oblivion... that's a shame, since there's a lot of cool maps for this project...

It was shaping up to be a promising megawad for sure until ......

But I released my two maps "Dens of Borsippa and Sinful Outpost" that were intended for this megawad as standalone.

After I submitted my first map Sinful Outpost Seidolon was not impressed about how the map had too much detail even though this project was intended for limit removing so out of frustration I requested for the map to be removed and released it to idgames. I made a second map named Dens of Borsippa with less detail and he liked it but a week or two later he quit and the project was abandoned. Dens of Borsippa was released to idgames almost straight away. Since my submission to Doomworld Mega Project 2017 I have never mapped for a community project ever since, and possibly never will. I have no plans to make a map for DMP2018 and now I am working on my own Ultimate Doom project, a long term project intended as a sequel to 2002ado.

19 hours ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

[2014] Ultimate Doom In Name Only, cannonball (abandoned)

I'm going to reiterate for clarity's sake that UDINO is not abandoned, and even if cannonball did abandon it (which I'm sure he wouldn't do without stating so first), I would offer myself up to take care of the project to see it through to completion. There's only like 7 maps missing from the project, which I'm sure wouldn't be entirely difficult to fill in, especially since many of the contributions are WIPs.

14 hours ago, Litrivin said:

Also, I miss an official compilation of D2TWiD maps which didn’t make the cut.

This exists. WIP & secretive, but not abandoned.

[EDIT] Some automap proofs/teasers:

QHaRZp0.png

t6Br5yS.png

A few other projects that seem to have been abandoned/cancelled.

(Not updated since December 2015, but never officially closed or cancelled by @Gustavo6046, as far as I can tell.)

(The last update was November 2015. Only 1 map was submitted, apparently, but it was never officially closed or cancelled by @Cire.)

(The OP closed the project and the thread itself was locked by administrators.)

(Toward the end of August, @Beed28 said the deadline would be moved out, but didn't say how far it would be moved out to. That was the last entry.)

(There appeared to be no interest from the community over the course of the month that the thread was active. The last post was in March, 2015, but @Boingo never officially closed it.)

(The last update was in October, 2014, and it was slightly hopeful as interest in small maps was trickling in for @joe-ilya's CP.)

17 hours ago, bioshockfan90 said:

Anyway, did the 64x64 project get a release? I remember making a horrible map for it as a newbie and kept seeing the thread come alive every 5 months or so. 

Wasn't that the Gridlock project? If so, that was released back in December of last year.

4 hours ago, Xaser said:

This exists.

That’s good to know. I was afraid these maps were lost forever (many links on the d2twid.herokuapp site are dead).

Link rot sucks. D:

Fortunately, I have every map ever submitted to dtwid/d2twid that ever had a download link available (along with a bunch of unfinished scraps). There's at least one vaporware case I can recall where someone posted on herokuapp but never actually linked a map, but that's about it.

[EDIT] Hmm, turns out the case I was thinking of had a link, but it was DoA. Not that I feel we missed anything given the map title, but still. :P

@Pegleg Thanks for mentioning the Hexen Community Project attempt. I Think it was the first attempt at such a Project, so it's kinda cool in that sense even if it wasn't successful. Although it sounded like a great idea, it seemed to become rather impracticle to attempt to actually implement into a Product. Several people had different visions of what rules they wanted and how they wanted the Project implemented and I got indecisive and most people rather quickly lost interest in it. In the end, there was 1 map + resource pack, a story, a 'map progression sheet' and lots of interesting ideas, but no actual mappack was made unfortunatly. I never officially cancelled the Project because was optimistic and thought that later on the interest might become reignited again. I like to Think that even though a Hexen Community Project has never been successfully made, I don't Think it should be impossible to complete one, just rather challenging prehaps. I hope to see such a Project be finished someday in the future

Haha, Phobos Simulation, I actually forgot about that. I wouldn't say I've abandoned it, if anyone would like to bump the thread with contributions, I sure wouldn't object, but noone seemed interested in contributing, so it kinda just fell into obscurity. I'm surprised to have it brought back up, honestly

On 3/15/2018 at 9:02 PM, Xaser said:

I have every map ever submitted to dtwid/d2twid that ever had a download link available

Hey Xaser, do you still have these maps? I would be interested in getting a few of loose / separate maps.

I remember the "Infernew" community project. It was going to be a 32 level vanilla megawad about Inferno and it died on the point of 24 maps completed

Also there is a long time not updated quake style project, can't remember what name it had but the project leader is Agentbromsnor

Doom-2 maybe dead

Gzdoom-1 maybe dead

Dosdoom-1 maybe dead

Edited by SilverMiner

9 hours ago, SilverMiner said:

Also there is a long time not updated quake style project, can't remember what name it had but the project leader is Agentbromsnor

It's not, we're still working on it on Discord

22 minutes ago, DJVCardMaster said:

It's not, we're still working on it on Discord

At least on Doomworld it looks silent

But I'm glad to hear this^

9 hours ago, DukeOfDoom said:

Final Doom the Way ID Did is in danger of dying once again, it seems so.

That's a shame. I was looking forward to that. I even wanted to try making some maps for it.

Any particular reason why? Like a lack of interest?

4 minutes ago, A.H. Sankhatayan said:

That's a shame. I was looking forward to that. I even wanted to try making some maps for it.

Well, as far as I know, the project organizer got embroiled with other projects, and thus FDTWID got put on hold with no official updates from Tarnsman.

On 1/16/2021 at 2:12 PM, Diabolución said:

Hey Xaser, do you still have these maps? I would be interested in getting a few of loose / separate maps.

I do, though they're not as well-sorted as I thought, looking at my archive 'dump'. My plan was to basically upload a giant archive of all the original maps whenever D2TWID-LE hits the stores, but I've been kinda swamped in projects so it may be a bit before I get back to that one. D:

5 hours ago, A.H. Sankhatayan said:

Tarnsman and other people said so many times they have even bigger projects to finish but it's not abandoned, it's on hiatus. You can still make maps for it and wait when the time comes for the project leaders to retake the project.