Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coraline

The 65 prBooming 3DGEs (Community Project)

Hi everyone!

Spoiler

(Forgive the cross-post - I've never posted anything like this, usually projects that I headline, so I apologize if that is against the rules!)

I'm here to announce the first community-project for EDGE (at least, the first I can recall in recent memory):

The 65 prBooming 3DGE's! This project is being headlined by @Rachael and has a few mappers.

This map pack focuses on EDGE compatibility - however not all EDGE features have to be used. The only format restriction is that your map works properly in EDGE.

The latest version of EDGE does support UDMF but not all of GZDoom's line specials work, and also obviously DECORATE, ACS, and ZScript are completely out. If you are not comfortable with EDGE mapping, you may submit a Boom map instead, since EDGE is a Boom-compatible port. However, RTS, COAL, and DDF can be used in its place.

For mapping reference, we have a list of EDGE-defined linetypes. A combined version with line/sector types (an intro to level editing) can be found here.

Rules:

• Maximum of 65 monsters per map. This is a hard limit. You do not need to use all 65 available "monster slots" - this rule is just to prevent slaughter maps.
  • Must be compatible with EDGE or PrBoom+. Do not test your maps in GZDoom. (You can use GZDoom for development, i.e. getting the layout finished and what not, but ultimately the map must be designed to work in PrBoom+ or EDGE)
  • You may use all available monster types. However please don't use 65 cyberdemons or something ridiculous like that.
  • No custom DDF monsters or weapons. This is for static 3DGE Doom 2 compatibility.
  • Custom textures/music/props are allowed (DDF props are allowed - including animated).
  • Theme: The map should be reminiscent of Doom 2's maps 20-29.

Map Submission Deadline: March 31, 2018
Map Fix-up Deadline: April 14, 2018

Unlike with 20 Heretics, these deadlines are much more strict.

I look forward to any interest this little project might generate! Also, don't forget that I'm always available and willing to help any users of the EDGE source port - troubleshooting, coding, or any issues you might run into -- feel free to ask! <3

Spoiler

PS: I know I was late to post here at DoomWorld (I've had a lot going on in my life lately), so I hope the deadline isn't too strict at this point!)=

A few screenshots of a map in development (by @Voltcom9):

5MxI8cP.png

JMlBGwD.png

Edited by Coraline : added better link to level editing on EDGEWiki

Well, my map for DMP 2016 in origin was for EDGE (version 1.35 iirc) port, so I have some (very) little knowledge about editing in this format...

Cool, I know basically nothing about 3DGE but I welcome source port diversity. This seems like a nice way to promote it. Out of curiousity, does anyone know of maps that really show off what EDGE mapping is capable of? I'm intrigued by the Boom option, but I'm also curious if there are some notable only-in-EDGE things you can do.

16 minutes ago, Big Ol Billy said:

Cool, I know basically nothing about 3DGE but I welcome source port diversity. This seems like a nice way to promote it. Out of curiousity, does anyone know of maps that really show off what EDGE mapping is capable of? I'm intrigued by the Boom option, but I'm also curious if there are some notable only-in-EDGE things you can do.

I myself am quite unfamiliar with the port. I did a little research on it. It looks like its got basically the same capabilities as zdoom/gzdoom, some with different names (extrafloors instead of 3d floors).

I haven't used edge since the v1.35 days, I'm not sure how much you have added to it since then @Coraline but I was under the impression you rolled it back a few versions before branching off, probably time to have a look again.

Glad to see a community project in the works, I do believe we discussed it on the forum but it never came to much as we were all to busy with total conversions!

Regarding the project I think the deadline is rather brutal for anyone wanting to join in now, unless just doing a normal boom level. Shame really since edge/3dge is very capable of some lovely levels, effects and with rts, ddf the possibilities are endless, not to mention easier for newcomers.

With the next 3dge community project, can we have a bit more of a heads up please :-)

On 3/9/2018 at 10:52 AM, Liberation said:

I haven't used edge since the v1.35 days, I'm not sure how much you have added to it since then @Coraline but I was under the impression you rolled it back a few versions before branching off, probably time to have a look again.

Initially the codebase for current EDGE was developed off of the abandoned 1.32 branch before we pulled in the changes from the last version of ajapted's 1.35. But EDGE 2.1.0x is so far beyond 1.35 that its now obsolete, as we've added a ton of features, and a ton of bugs that have been fixed that were open issues in the original for a long time. Give it a try! Either use 2.1.0 Test3, or if you are feeling lucky, try the Devbuilds

About the project, I will give more of a heads up. So far we have some great maps put into it, and once its polished and ready for releasing I'll probably organize a more formal community project with a less-strict time limit :-)

I'm contributing my first map to DOOM/EDGE ever with this mappack - a sequel/revamp of fanatic's RUINS map :-D and so far, the maps that are getting turned in are gorgeous :D can't wait to release the project!!! ;)

On 3/8/2018 at 6:35 PM, Coraline said:

Rules:

• Maximum of 65 monsters per map. This is a hard limit. You do not need to use all 65 available "monster slots" - this rule is just to prevent slaughter maps.
  • You may use all available monster types. However please don't use 65 cyberdemons or something ridiculous like that.

There are plenty of microslaughter maps under that limit, and there are also crazy challenge maps harder than most slaughtermaps that have relatively "even" representation of monster species (i.e. no pure cyb/vile/rev use) and have "stonewall" potential if playing with saves. 65 monsters is enough for those, easily. I have made many myself. 

Reasonable people won't attempt to submit those because "this rule is just to prevent slaughter maps" implies that maps of that sort too are unwanted, but in direct opposition to what is stated, the rules don't actually prevent it. :) "Maps will be excluded if unreasonably difficult (use [well-known mapsets of moderate difficulty] as an upper bound)" probably would. 

Might give this a try! Worked with edge previously and it is actually a very solid sourceport. Deadline is close, but hey, at least it's a fire that burns bright ;)

Maybe I'll make a map too.

Also where to get 3DGE configuration for Doom Builder 2/GZDoom Builder? This would be helpful.

Next time I will be happy to make a map, still know my way around ddf and rts so that's cool, just busy with a few other bits atm.

Good question, I'll take a head count tonight. I hope to post screens of my map soon as well!! :-)

@riderr3 good stuff!! ;)

Well I got 9 days to do something lol. A while back I started something, but it looked like shit, so I scrapped it. Than I forgot about it for a while. I should have enough time to do something though. 

It looks like Doom Builder 2 has the ability to do edge format. Should I go with that, or use the 3dge Builder?

Edited by PepsiBepsi

I just drew out the layout of the map. Looks pretty promising. Should be able to do something with it, than polish it a bit. It'll probably be a 10 min level at most.

image.png.b2223c1f8a95a4216de3ad79c0ae0d7a.png

Awesome! 3DGE Builder is more customized for the port, but DB2 will work fine as long as the config is compatible with EDGE 1.35 and up :D

2 hours ago, Coraline said:

Awesome! 3DGE Builder is more customized for the port, but DB2 will work fine as long as the config is compatible with EDGE 1.35 and up :D

Probably the only thing that bother me is the absence of preview of 3D floors in 3DGE builder (in compare with latest GZDB-bf). A feature request perhaps? Also not sure about slopes. The plugins here is the same as GZDB-bf, only automap mode plugin is absent, which I've added manually.

Besides plenty of maps which I made for Boom and vanillla, that would we my first 3DGE map, so there will not be many specific stuff.
I played out with some line actions and DDF's. I like the glowing floor things and jetpack.

Also the latest version of 3DGE have some graphical startup (looks like a self-adverting), which can be annoying when testing wads. It's nice if this can be turned off somewhere.

@PepsiBepsi keep it up.

Edited by riderr3

Finished lol I'm gonna spend the next day or so adding some minute details here and there, picking a midi, and working on balancing. For now, here's some screenshots. It's fairly short, but it's pretty decent. It's about the same length as Voltcom's

Once I'm done balancing and detailing, I'll probably post on the op

image.png.319ffa7112f2a4c91f600cf2c14ad246.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png.8bbe35c9c5e8c9d947882bba397f62fe.png

Edited by PepsiBepsi

I think The level is just about complete. I'll post the download here and on the zdoom.org post

Name: Evil Inn (corny, but I had to think of something lol)

Midi: Second Heartbeat by Avenged Sevenfold 

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ft4f52z7atzr4b5/PepsiEdgeCp.wad

I tested it in edge, prboom+, and gzdoom. They all work, let me know if you run into problems.

If anyone is willing to give it a run through, I'm all ears for feedback. The level is about 4 minutes long.

Edited by PepsiBepsi

On 3/22/2018 at 4:16 PM, riderr3 said:

Probably the only thing that bother me is the absence of preview of 3D floors in 3DGE builder (in compare with latest GZDB-bf). A feature request perhaps? Also not sure about slopes. The plugins here is the same as GZDB-bf, only automap mode plugin is absent, which I've added manually.

Also the latest version of 3DGE have some graphical startup (looks like a self-adverting), which can be annoying when testing wads. It's nice if this can be turned off somewhere.

@riderr3:

• I'm not sure how GZDoom does its 3D Floors (with EDGE, it uses referencing sectors), so I'd have to figure that out first and adapt and/or rewrite that plugin to accommodate the way EDGE does it. I'm sure it's something simple - I'm not 100% positive, but Eureka might display EDGE's 3D Floors in its preview mode. I don't remember if it does or not, I should probably download it and check it out ^_^
  • And about that startup splash screen -- it can be switched off. Just pull down the console and type i_skipsplash. If it's set to 0, set it to 1. 

• It appears GZDoom-Builder uses 3D floors in UDMF mode, but the concept is the same with EDGE - tag a line, tag the reference sector. I would just need to rebuild pieces of ThreeDFloor.cs to instead reference the default EDGE extrafloor types, and 'read' the 'args' from DDFLine (or hardcode them for now). Doesn't seem complicated, but really time consuming for me since I have so many other things I'm trying to focus on :/

@PepsiBepsi I'll check out your map tonight xD

Edited by Coraline : strikethrough - I was wrong about Eureka. Added stuff about 3DGEBuilder plugin.

@Coraline I'm done with my map.

"Crimson edge of anathema" by riderr3
For The 65 prBooming 3DGEs Community Project.

Advanced engine needed: 3DGE
Music: Warcraft 2 - orc3.mid
Single Player: Designed for
Cooperative: Yes
Deathmatch: Player starts only
Crouching and jumping: Yes
Freelook: Yes
Difficulty Settings: Yes
Build Time: 8 days
Editor(s) used: 3DGEBuilder, SLADE3
Tested With: 3DGE 2.0.4, GZDoom 3.2.5
Additional Credits to: Eradrop for skybox
Comment: A cave map with style of Doom 2 Episode 3. Playable in GZDoom, but you can see some visual glitches, so better use 3DGE engine. I've added a couple of DDF's to replace sky, music and level name.

Authors MAY use the contents of this file as a base for
modification or reuse.  Permissions have been obtained from original
authors for any of their resources modified or included in this file.

Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/onwle8lr9d3stb0/crnedge.zip

Screenshots:

UUYyMZi.jpg

71ecyiD.jpg

y5CSqe9.jpg

P.S. Also I've found the bug in latest DRD build: map names in Final Doom is wrong for unknown reasons (e.g. Entryway instead of Congo).

Hey guys! Just a reminder: submit your map if you haven't by the 31st! If you are already working on one and need more time, I can extend it a few more days!

Thanks everyone!

@riderr3 I'll look into the bug. The special languages are not being loaded due to the changes regarding zipfile support with PHYSFS. I'll fix it asap!

This isn't quite done yet, but it's complete enough that I feel comfortable posting this here, since there's still a fix-up date to go.

Name: Mansion of Madness
Port: Boom

Build time: On and off over the course of 3 weeks; probably around 15-20 hours overall.
Music: Sinister, by Bobby Prince

Tested in: PRBoom+ 2.5.1.5

Download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IJQqYsuBaCevwmJelZALtq_2Yq0r8lrg

3DGE Take 2 (edit area) at 2018.03.30 17-46-24.013 [R3005].jpg

3DGE Take 2 (edit area) at 2018.03.30 17-46-44.794 [R3005].jpg

3DGE Take 2 (edit area) at 2018.03.30 17-47-11.657 [R3005].jpg

Feedback and criticism, as ever, is greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, PepsiBepsi said:

I've just updated my map to make it a bit more challenging (basically took out the plasma rifle so the player doesn't get too OP from one level)

download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ft4f52z7atzr4b5/PepsiEdgeCp.wad

Nice little map. The outdoors with their narrow ledges were fun to navigate. As it is currently set up, if the player goes through the 'wrong' red key door first, they probably will have to go back to the other door, and then finally back around again, as it is not obvious where the teleporters in the lava might lead, or that you can shimmy around the red key bars that are lowered by the switch without hitting the switch at all. It would probably be best to extend the ledge so that both sections behind both red key doors lead to one another physically. At the start, the imps in the cage seem to be decoration; they can't really shoot through their narrow opening. The turreted HKs at the end take a bit long to kill. If I were to use such a setup, I'd likely confine the HKs to an additional raised 64x64 square on the cylinders and add either more rockets or something like a secret telefrag chain that is only accessible after freeing the yellow key. 

Edited by rdwpa

6 hours ago, rdwpa said:

Nice little map. The outdoors with their narrow ledges were fun to navigate. As it is currently set up, if the player goes through the 'wrong' red key door first, they probably will have to go back to the other door, and then finally back around again, as it is not obvious where the teleporters in the lava might lead, or that you can shimmy around the red key bars that are lowered by the switch without hitting the switch at all. It would probably be best to extend the ledge so that both sections behind both red key doors lead to one another physically. At the start, the imps in the cage seem to be decoration; they can't really shoot through their narrow opening. The turreted HKs at the end take a bit long to kill. If I were to use such a setup, I'd likely confine the HKs to an additional raised 64x64 square on the cylinders and add either more rockets or something like a secret telefrag chain that is only accessible after freeing the yellow key. 

Some nice suggestions. I completely forgot to check if that red key barrier actually prevented the player for walking across lol. I might make those hk pillars a secret with a bridge that can be raised to connect them, and have them lead to like a megasphere or something. Either that or I'll make it mandatory, and incorporate the blue key in lol

Here's an update to Mansion of Madness: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CeClfpos4PA7T9K9OfnB36-kXphxD-xw

Detailing is mostly done, though I still think more could be done to make the map better; I'm just not sure how yet. The main flaw currently is that 3DGE doesn't currently support conveyor belts. I've been told there's a build in the works that will bring full Boom compatibility to 3DGE, however, so unless that build doesn't materialize in time, I'm not too worried about it. Proper sky will by SKY3; that will be added in via DDF come compilation.

Feedback and demos are greatly appreciated.